Caleb Daniel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Caleb Daniel

Went to the South Adelaide and Eagles final Saturday night and saw this midget with a helmet playing for South. Thought he looked ok and asked who he was and they said he was an under 18 named Caleb Daniel. The same person also said the Saints were interested and that he can really play. Not sure if anyone has seen him play much but did ok against the big boys on Saturday. i know Gotchy really rates him and he coaches South.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Caleb Daniel

With Jones gone he could be a chance ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:With Jones gone he could be a chance ...
he'd be on fire with the saints...burning them up and lighting up seaford...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Went to the South Adelaide and Eagles final Saturday night and saw this midget with a helmet playing for South. Thought he looked ok and asked who he was and they said he was an under 18 named Caleb Daniel. The same person also said the Saints were interested and that he can really play. Not sure if anyone has seen him play much but did ok against the big boys on Saturday. i know Gotchy really rates him and he coaches South.
Played really well in the Under 18 champs

I have mentioned him in a couple of times in various threads

IS small..........but very smart/very good decision maker and excellent efficiency with his disposal

hard to rate what pick he will go

Could be a boomer Harvey type though

saint4life
bergsone
SS Life Member

Would need to be a real ball magnet,as clubs seem to be going for tall big bodied mids

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Wow great call plugger, he looks an absolute gem! Agile, accelerates from packs, top skills, ball magnet, and smart! He uses it so well and puts it to the team's advantage.

Some of the best highlights I've seen:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Whose next? Tyrion Lannister?

But watching the highlights the kid has got some toe and a thumping kick for a small player.
Last edited by Bunk_Moreland on Mon 01 Sep 2014 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

You are garbage - Enough said
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Skilful with a lot of footy smarts. If you discount his size he'd go top 20. Late draft/rookie chance.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Caleb Daniel: (SA - 168cm, 66kg, 7/7/96)
Comparison: Dayne Zorko
Range: 35-rookie

There are virtually no weaknesses in his footballing ability. His size (and the associated things like wingspan etc.) is the only flaw. Apart from that he excels in absolutely everything. Athletically he's elite. He runs a 16.1 beep. I'd be surprised if he hadn't improved that by the combine - he's a genuine record chance. He's sub 3 seconds over 20 metres, at a guess I'd say he's gone from 2.99 nearly a year ago to 2.9-2.95 now. He runs a sub 10 minute 3k. I'm not sure how many players around run a >15 beep, <10 minute 3k and <3 second 20 metre. I think he's in some pretty rare company. But athletically isn't even where he excels - it's the mental side of the game. His kicking technique is good. He's a good kick - nothing more. However his vision, creativity and decision making are all absolutely elite and with those mental traits his kick, while only good technically, becomes elite. By hand he's elite - he sees targets and distributes the ball so effectively under pressure. In general his disposal under pressure is elite. He could be surrounded by opposition players in heavy traffic and he'll hit a target lace out. Despite being a little fella he kicks the ball a fair way too and it's pretty penetrating. On the inside he's excellent - he's got a great read for the ball and dives in head first without fear and extracts and distributes so well. I considered him a primarily inside leaning midfielder until the championships based on what he's done at SANFL. But outside he's just as good - he knows where the ball will be, gets in the right spots, runs all day and is quicker than nearly everyone. Despite being tiny he tackles with absolute ferocity and tackles in volume. And they stick. At SANFL level he's a good tackler. I see no reason why he can't be a 'reasonable' tackler at AFL level. He can't be tackled. He dodges and weaves away from tacklers and if by chance they get a hand on Daniel will shrug them or dispose of it cleanly anyway. When he's forward he's a clinical finisher who knows where the goals are irrelevant of where he is. With his speed, endurance, work rate, agility and tackling proficiency he's incredibly useful defensively while forward too. Caleb is the most talented player in the crop, it's just so unfortunate that he's so small. But someone with his talent will make it regardless of his height. He's a gun, and everyone should be hoping their club picks him up.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He has lots of fans.

saint6709
Club Player

Makes Sam Mitchell look like a giant - looks good but maybe just too small

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Would love to get him..

Watched the 2 champs matches that SA played on Foxtel, he absolutely stood out for all the right reasons...

If Lewis Taylor has taught anyone anything this year, its that body type is not relevant when you are a brilliant natural footballer who works hard on their athletic attributes, of which Daniel seems to excel in anyway..

Without knowing much about the draft aside from whats readily available on such forums, I'd be happy to take him with our 2nd pick... Im sure he will be an AFL star.. And will most likely end his career as the most free's for in the high tackle catagory.. Although chasing down Selwood will be tough.

FQF
SS Life Member

Sounds like a star in the making from these reports. But gee is 168cm tiny. Is there anyone in the league that short? Even Blair from Collingwood is 170+.

FQF
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Sounds like a star in the making from these reports. But gee is 168cm tiny. Is there anyone in the league that short? Even Blair from Collingwood is 170+.
Apparently Jake Neade from Port is the current shortest at 170cm.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pocket dynamo. They did something on him on the AFL.com.au Draft show with Kevin Sheehan.
He is a dynamo. Hayden Ballentyne like. Just a little star.
Surely hes going in the top 20?

noob
Club Player

From the vision I saw if he was at least 180cm he'd be in the top 3. Played well in the championships.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Caleb Daniel: (SA - 168cm, 66kg, 7/7/96)
168cm!

Ben Cavarra is 173cm, he won the Morrish last year but couldn't find a spot on a list. Tearing it up for Frankston this year but still no guarantee of being drafted. If Daniel gets drafted first time round at 168cm then he must be a superstar.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Players regardless of size, who can actually get their hands on then ball then quickly make smart decisions and execute properly with hands and feet are worth their weight in gold..especially ones with goal sense.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
168cm!

Ben Cavarra is 173cm, he won the Morrish last year but couldn't find a spot on a list. Tearing it up for Frankston this year but still no guarantee of being drafted. If Daniel gets drafted first time round at 168cm then he must be a superstar.

I do agree with you re size but the difference between the many short morrish medal winners that dont get drafted and this guy is at least he is playing against the big boys and secondly Brad Gotch is a great spotter of talent and an amazingly underated coach.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

I do agree with you re size but the difference between the many short morrish medal winners that dont get drafted and this guy is at least he is playing against the big boys and secondly Brad Gotch is a great spotter of talent and an amazingly underated coach.

He's definitely talented enough. Clubs are scared of short guys but Daniel is like Milne bred with Brent Harvey -so quick of mind and body that he should be able to make it. The question is where he will go in the draft he's top 5 on talent but his height means he could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the rookie draft. I would be very keen but i don't really want to talk him up to keep others off his trail.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

He's definitely talented enough. Clubs are scared of short guys but Daniel is like Milne bred with Brent Harvey -so quick of mind and body that he should be able to make it. The question is where he will go in the draft he's top 5 on talent but his height means he could go anywhere from the end of the first round to the rookie draft. I would be very keen but i don't really want to talk him up to keep others off his trail.

I hope that last bit is a joke.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

Yes he is rated in SA, and if he was 10cm taller would be top 3 pick. Ive mentioned it on other threads that he will drift because of lack of height. Is worth looking at with our 3rd or 4th round pick together with Jake Johansen - another U18 SA small who knows how to find the ball is lightening quick, runs the lines. Also played senior SANFL footy for 2 years. If anyone reading this knows anyone in the recruiting department - seriously ask them to look at both of these boys with our 3rd or 4th round picks if they are still available. They will be value picks in the draft.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
168cm!

Yes he is rated in SA, and if he was 10cm taller would be top 3 pick. Ive mentioned it on other threads that he will drift because of lack of height. Is worth looking at with our 3rd or 4th round pick together with Jake Johansen - another U18 SA small who knows how to find the ball is lightening quick, runs the lines. Also played senior SANFL footy for 2 years. If anyone reading this knows anyone in the recruiting department - seriously ask them to look at both of these boys with our 3rd or 4th round picks if they are still available. They will be value picks in the draft.

I would be 100% they would know plenty about both. Much more than any of us.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

what a hihglights package!