The Method's first year...how do you rate him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Method's first year...how do you rate him?

Billings has had an ok first year.

Given he was no. 3 pick expectations should be pretty high.

Given that, I'd give him a 7 out of 10.

Serviceable, but perhaps a little below the standard I was hoping and a little below some other top 10 picks.

Saying that, he doesn't have a Dunstan build at an early age and we may have to wait until 2016 before he shows pick 3 potential.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: The Method's first year...how do you rate him?

Happy to say Billings exceeded my expectations on his ability to have an immediate impact at AFL level and get t5he number of games in his first year given his interupted pre season and pretty small frame! I'll give him an 8/10 if that means much, big tick! Richo compared his abilities to Wingard, Crikey thats a massive wrap but who better to make the comparison. Fingers crossed he has a pretty uneventful 6 months in the gym and improving his aerobic capacity and keeps honing his skills!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Showed some elite glimpses, but hard to shine in a mediocre team. Billings will need others around him to step up and in the meantime will definately just keep getting better.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Ps: is his nickname "The Method"?

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

His body held up better than expected. I was concerned with the noise around the draft that he'd played so little football in 2013, then he got hurt in Colorado, I wasn't sure he'd get much gametime at all this season, let alone in the seniors.

He showed glimpses of what he will be capable of throughout the year. His 4 goals in the last quarter for Sandy, then his follow up game with the Saints against the Bombers, showed what we have to look forward to.

His long term plan needs to be becoming an A-grade mid. We cant have a Number 3 pick sitting on a half forward flank his whole career.

beebarry
Club Player

Maybe he can become the "Gate" ?

Gateway through the corridor, Gateway to success, (gateway to the fish market ) The Gate ....Gator .....

Gator Billings ....love it ...

ok thats me done ......

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

In terms of first year players at the saints over recent years, I think it'd be fair to say a first year player hasn't had a more solid impact since Kosi in 2001 or maybe Goddard in 2003.

Having said that, Dunstan was ahead of Jack this year. But I haven't been more excited about two youngsters since Roo and Dal started to develop in 2002.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

7/10 for the method from me as well.

Exceeded my expectations.

I thought he may only play 2 or 3 games.

Showed he knows how to get in the right areas and showed he can usually hit targets. So hes going to be a player.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:...we may have to wait until 2016 before he shows pick 3 potential.
I thought he showed all the qualities that made him pick 3, just not for prolonged periods or consistently week-to-week. Smart and accurate kicking, goal sense, ability to find the footy. I'm not worried about him becoming a very good player, injury aside the only question is whether he becomes a star or just a solid A-grader.

He reminds me of Daniel Wells in that way. Very smart footballer, well and truly better than 95% of AFL players, but he hasn't quite reached the absolute top echelon. Never got 10 Brownlow votes in a season. Hopefully Billings turns out even better than that.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Hopeless. Should have recruited that gun Kennedy-Harris

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Hopeless. Should have recruited that gun Kennedy-Harris
I'm with stupid.

FQF
SS Life Member

For a first season as a small-framed forward, he did very well. We can't expect him to be dominating, just showing glimpses.

Having said that, he must eventually become a full time midfielder to justify pick 3, especially seeing as last year's draft might go down as one of the best one's ever.

No doubt he will become an A grade player, but we need him to become an elite player.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

what did you expect from a pick 3 in his first year?

8 for me
busted his ass and had a crack aveeraged 14 touches

FQF
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:what did you expect from a pick 3 in his first year?

8 for me
busted his ass and had a crack aveeraged 14 touches
I assume that people are keeping a lid on it because some of his contemporaries from the draft had even better years. He will be compared to those players for the rest of his career.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not really
i dont expect miracles no matter what the number they are picked at
he's done one pre season

he'll get there 8-)

RW&B
Club Player

I call him Jack but most of my Saints mates call him Jack "Dollar" Billings.

Is give him an 8/10 considering his light frame, limited supply and interrupted preparation. Definitely happy with his year.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote: he's done one pre season
Not even, injured his quad in Colorado… missed a fair chunk of pre-season.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good pick up dragit

so all in all not bad really for a young kid thats come straight in on limited training and pre season work

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We met him preseason and I said he would be at least 2 years off a debut. He has exceeded expectations greatly. Very classy and clean user. On other players, he's one year in so impossible to tell who the best of them will be. Daniel Rich looked a champion after one year in the AFL. Has been disappointing since.

Bontempelli is flashy and easy to spot because of his size but I still wonder if he will get too big for that midfield role eventually. Aish and Kelly look very good, Kade K is going to be a good player and we haven't even seen Collingwood's kids. I think Jack will be a high level player based on what I have seen of him so far.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

He showed he could find it and use it. In the wasteland that was our forwardline and with bugger all pre-season, I'd say that's a bloody good effort and shows some real class.

I agree with Matrix - the kid busted his ass crack..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

When it comes to the crunch, I reckon Billings will be the best user of the footy from the draft… that game where he won the Rising Star nomination is a pretty good indicator

25 disposals at 100% efficiency, 8 marks, 3 goals

That is a better game than a lot of players will manage in their entire career. 25 disposals with none wasted is unbelievable.

I love him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Very very impressive.

Obviously his skill set is a standout, but what really surprised me was he bravery and toughness for a scrawny kid that has probably breezed through juniors on the back of his ridiculous talent.

We often see kids get drafted and struggle with the physicality of playing against men.. Toumpas a recent example, although I feel he'll still make it and I'd love to pinch him but thats a whole different thread.

Jack put his head over it, took the hits, backed it up, time and again.. Actually thought he began to thrive off it before he ran out of gas as the season stretched out..

Will be an absolute A-grader, elated he is ours..

As for Bont, wouldnt refer to him as flashy. At this stage, he has champion written all over him.. He has best player in the AFL potential... Billings is more around the top 10 mark.. Thats more than what you'd expect from any top pick..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Very very impressive.

Obviously his skill set is a standout, but what really surprised me was he bravery and toughness for a scrawny kid that has probably breezed through juniors on the back of his ridiculous talent.

We often see kids get drafted and struggle with the physicality of playing against men.. Toumpas a recent example, although I feel he'll still make it and I'd love to pinch him but thats a whole different thread.

Jack put his head over it, took the hits, backed it up, time and again.. Actually thought he began to thrive off it before he ran out of gas as the season stretched out..

Will be an absolute A-grader, elated he is ours..

As for Bont, wouldnt refer to him as flashy. At this stage, he has champion written all over him.. He has best player in the AFL potential... Billings is more around the top 10 mark.. Thats more than what you'd expect from any top pick..

I agree with all that especially that last line. Bont is going to be a star. Could be a freak. You dont kick that winning goal against was it the Dees unless you are freaky. I beleive last years draft has the potential to be as good as the best draft ever, the 2001 draft. Lets hope we get as many players out of it as we did back then. Set us up for years.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Im sorry but i dont rate him & believe he is too much of a touch player to ever have an impact as a midfielder! Time will tell i guess but would have preferred others instead of Billings.

Rating 4/10.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!