signing #7 Acres to 2018

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

signing #7 Acres to 2018

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: signing #7 Acres to 2018

Wow.

That's a vote of confidence. I presume we've locked him in at a lower rate while his stocks are lowish.

I like him. He is going to be a monster after a couple of pre-seasons. Fingers crossed for an injury free 2015.

Always loyal
matrix
Saintsational Legend

thumbs up from me

minch next thanks

FQF
SS Life Member

Does this not come across to anyone else as extremely strange?

Firstly, for all the talent the guy supposedly has (which I can't judge either way) he seems at least a little bit injury prone. He was injured most of 2013 and most of 2014. That would be like signing Xavier Clarke to a 4 year contract - supreme talent, couldn't get on the park. Not saying that Acres will be that bad, but who knows?

Second, if as Semper suggested we are locking him in at a discounted value then that's a terrible way to treat our players who we expect to be loyal back to the club. If in 2016 Acres would be worth double what we're paying him on the open market, it will only create ill-will and he may ask for a trade.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Holy s***, that's a good deal for a veteran of 3 games.

It's a good idea to lock away these interstate guys for longer so if they do want to return home, we can trade them for a decent price.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

FQF wrote:Does this not come across to anyone else as extremely strange?

Firstly, for all the talent the guy supposedly has (which I can't judge either way) he seems at least a little bit injury prone. He was injured most of 2013 and most of 2014. That would be like signing Xavier Clarke to a 4 year contract - supreme talent, couldn't get on the park. Not saying that Acres will be that bad, but who knows?

Second, if as Semper suggested we are locking him in at a discounted value then that's a terrible way to treat our players who we expect to be loyal back to the club. If in 2016 Acres would be worth double what we're paying him on the open market, it will only create ill-will and he may ask for a trade.
Firstly, Acres is a jet and WILL be AN A GRADER.
Secondly, so on the basis of a post on a public forum by someone who wouldn't have a clue what we are paying Acres you then accuse the club of treating our players terribly. OMG!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Holy CRAP!
I certainly see where FQF is coming from. I guess maybe the contract is heavily performance based? Although Im not sure how PB contracts sit in the TPP structure?

But all that aside - 4 yrs is a big show of confidence in the kid. He looks like a real player. Lets hope he has some injury free years ahead. Good luck!

FQF
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:

Secondly, so on the basis of a post on a public forum by someone who wouldn't have a clue what we are paying Acres you then accuse the club of treating our players terribly. OMG!!!
Calm down. I'm not accusing the club of anything. But the converse is also true. How could we responsibly lock in a 3 game player to a 4 year contract that is above his current worth?

If people are just going to blindly accept everything the club does, good for them. I think I am at least entitled to question the contract. Has a 3 game player EVER been offered a 4 year contract in the history of AFL?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Martin signed a 5 year deal before he'd even played a game just last year.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Huge show if confidence in his talent and ability! I'm not too fussed if players show a couple of years worth of injury proneness (not sure thats a word). As long as we're not talking serial ACL's or really dodgy looking shoulders or soft tissue recurrence...Acres certainly looked on the gangly side when he first arrived at the club and wouldn't be surprised if he's slower to mature into his adult frame and some injuries could come from that...more concerned if there still heaps injury prone at 22-23. Some patience early can be rewarded with good return once a player has developed a mature body and seasoned conditioning...someone like Andrew Walker from the blues springs to mind, our own Rhys Stanley is another good example. Bad examples are the ACL guys, plenty to choose from there...Markworth, he's an interesting one, certainly some bad luck and signs that he may just be unlucky with his body makeup...the fact he just hasn't played any games at AFL level after 3 years means this year coming will be a very important year where he must show something, pushing for AFL selection regularly IMO, but i fear i've strayed from the original thread...

FQF
SS Life Member

#1GILL wrote:Jack Martin signed a 5 year deal before he'd even played a game just last year.
Point taken. How does that work money-wise? Are there in-built pay increases?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

Calm down. I'm not accusing the club of anything. But the converse is also true. How could we responsibly lock in a 3 game player to a 4 year contract that is above his current worth?

If people are just going to blindly accept everything the club does, good for them. I think I am at least entitled to question the contract. Has a 3 game player EVER been offered a 4 year contract in the history of AFL?

good question....don't know the answer..

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote: Has a 3 game player EVER been offered a 4 year contract in the history of AFL?
Jack Martin got a 5 year extension before playing a single game.

FQF
SS Life Member

You'd think Billings would at least get the same length extension?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:You'd think Billings would at least get the same length extension?
I'm sure the club would love to tie him up long term, but his management may prefer to take things a bit slower… he may be worth plenty more in 3 years time.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Will be the pick of last years draft bunch

I have no issue with this whatsoever

#1 Ryder fan
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Maybe the fact he has had some problems with his body is one of the reasons for the long extension.
The club is basically saying we believe in you as a player we are therefore giving you four years to get your body right and become a senior player.
It takes all the pressure off the player who has just missed virtually the whole through persistent injury and seen his position slip behind a few rookie listed players because of it.
He was always going to get at least three more years to see if he could make so four is not so much of a push.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Good lad - hopefully Blake and Christian Petracca can get a run at things in 2015 and one of them win the Rising Star Award for the club. Remember what happened following our last two winners !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think it is a great move, there's a lot to like about young Blake. Firstly if he really had a go home factor, he never would of signed. Second, if he and his management didn't think the deal to be fair, he never would of signed. Third, the Club's list management team must see real value in the deal. Fourth, a big sign of a new generation of young Saints that want to build something special.

May be the best ever signing of a Rising Star in the game's history ;-) That's how I prefer to look at it!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

It's a 3 year extension to his existing deal for 2015.

Injury wise he has suffered from a number of different injuries, so he's not a kid with a chronic problem (like O'Rourke's hammy's). He copped a shoulder last year then had some soft tissue probs this year (which is not uncommon for a kid doing his 1st senior pre-season) & then copped the bad ankle injury when Zac Smith body slammed him.

The kid has shown he has talent, work ethic & a keenness to learn. Obviously those who matter rate him exceptionally highly. A great announcement IMO.

bigballs
Club Player

For a kid that's been off the park more than he's been on it, that's one hell of a deal for someone that's only played 3 AFL games.......hopefully he can repay the faith shown in him!!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

My mail is that Billings is refusing to sign and wants out.
Hates Seaford :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:My mail is that Billings is refusing to sign and wants out.
Hates Seaford :wink:
REALLY - I would think Luke would be the last kid that would have concerns about training at Seaford. He seems so down to earth and humble - if true there must be another club in his ear!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
howlinwolf
Club Player

Wow ! What a commitment not only from us but also from Blake.
I like it. A show like this from the Club shows we are committed to the players and they feel a stronger connection as a group.
They can build something like the previous group of players did.
Plus it stops other clubs constantly circling.
If we constantly have talent picked off it's not a good look as a club.

Longer contracts are always a risk but so is a short contract. We do our due dilligence then have to roll the dice to some extent.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Kernal75
Club Player

WA boy, longer term contract makes sense given the lure of returning home. God knows we don't want another Jamie Cripps type situation. Good positive move!