Poll - McCartin, Petracca or..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

What should we do with the number 1 draft pick?

McCartin
4%
Petracca
84%
Someone else
4%
Trade it
8%

Total votes: 122

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Poll - McCartin, Petracca or..

Who should we take? Or should we trade?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Poll - McCartin, Petracca or..

Petracca. Still time to load up the midfield, we can nab KPP with out salary cap space in coming years.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Petracca with Pick 1, Reece McKenzie with our 2nd pick, then we have both. Pick a couple of more midfielders and Oscar McDonald to cover big defender deficiency.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would try to get Jones in the PSD and go with Petracca. Second and third on good mids. We need guys who will come on quick to keep the fans happy. Not Forwards who will take 4 years to show something.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Matrix will be happy. :D

Petracca for me.

Petracca for me. Could someone dig up a package of his lowlights just to see what he's like when he doesn't play well. And check if his photo is on the AFL website. I think that's important for some reason.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Saints94
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Petracca with Pick 1, Reece McKenzie with our 2nd pick, then we have both. Pick a couple of more midfielders and Oscar McDonald to cover big defender deficiency.
+1, makes perfect sense to me. Judging from afar Petracca looks like an explosive version of Ollie Wines, can't pass up players like that. - unless the right deal came along of course.

Drafting Mckenzie with pick 21 wouldn't be a stupid move IMO, just his agility for a big man is concerning, sounds like Koschitzke when you hear "McKenzie has a turning circle of the Titanic"

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goalkicking table for TAC Cup 2014

Jayden Foster Calder Cannons 49
Jess Palmer North Ballarat Rebels 35
Reece Mckenzie Northern Knights 35
Peter Wright Calder Cannons 32
Toby Mclean 32

Others

Christian Petracca 20 (9 games)
Patrick Mccartin 20 (5 games)
Angus Brayshaw 17 (11)

p.s
I still cant comprehend how Robbie Gray was Draft pick 55 after kicking 56 goals in this competition.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Goalkicking table for TAC Cup 2014

Toby Mclean 32

p.s

I still cant comprehend how Robbie Gray was Draft pick 55 after kicking 56 goals in this competition.
Tom Rockliff kicked 59 goals for Murray Bushrangers in 08 & was overlooked until the PSD :shock: because he was to "slow"..

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Gee Petracca worries me for some reason. I want elite footskills for a number one pick and I don't think Petracca has them. I think people are being seduced by the next Wines, Dunstan, Martin etc comparisons.

I still hope we are just driving up our interest to build up the interest in pick one. I'd give anything to snag one of Shiel, Treloar, Boyd or Cameron still to be honest. If not, a combo of players or picks.

I see Weller and Brayshaw (there are about 6 or 7 others too like De Goey, Lavarde, Ahern, Duggan to name but a few) as a better option on the list than Petracca unless he can sort out his kicking. I hope I am wrong but this kid has me worried all of a sudden in what would be the most important draft for us since we got Roo.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Goalkicking table for TAC Cup 2014

Toby Mclean 32

p.s

Tom Rockliff kicked 59 goals for Murray Bushrangers in 08 & was overlooked until the PSD :shock: because he was to "slow"..

Its plain bizarre.
They constantly overlook gun football players for some fantasy textbook 'athlete'.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Gee Petracca worries me for some reason. I want elite footskills for a number one pick and I don't think Petracca has them. I think people are being seduced by the next Wines, Dunstan, Martin etc comparisons.

I still hope we are just driving up our interest to build up the interest in pick one. I'd give anything to snag one of Shiel, Treloar, Boyd or Cameron still to be honest. If not, a combo of players or picks.

I see Weller and Brayshaw (there are about 6 or 7 others too like De Goey, Lavarde, Ahern, Duggan to name but a few) as a better option on the list than Petracca unless he can sort out his kicking. I hope I am wrong but this kid has me worried all of a sudden in what would be the most important draft for us since we got Roo.
I feel the same regarding Petracca's skills. He's definitely a powerful midfielder though. He will win plenty of the ball and hit the scoreboard. His kicking isn't neat and creative like Billings but its still penetrating and damaging in its own right. But yeah, you either want a big key forward or midfield playmaking with pick 1.

Weller I really like. He's a very creative type but doesn't get his hands on the footy enough to justify using a top 5 pick on. Ideally, the Swans get their hands on a top 10 pick and bundle it up with Mitchell for pick 1 and we grab Weller with that pick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:Gee Petracca worries me for some reason. I want elite footskills for a number one pick and I don't think Petracca has them. I think people are being seduced by the next Wines, Dunstan, Martin etc comparisons.

I feel the same regarding Petracca's skills. He's definitely a powerful midfielder though. He will win plenty of the ball and hit the scoreboard. His kicking isn't neat and creative like Billings but its still penetrating and damaging in its own right. But yeah, you either want a big key forward or midfield playmaking with pick 1.

Weller I really like. He's a very creative type but doesn't get his hands on the footy enough to justify using a top 5 pick on. Ideally, the Swans get their hands on a top 10 pick and bundle it up with Mitchell for pick 1 and we grab Weller with that pick.

The trouble with that is the Swans are already getting Heeney who is arguably pick 1 equivalent- almost certainly a top 5. So they dont need to trade anyone.

FQF
SS Life Member

The poll is a total landslide.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

The trouble with that is the Swans are already getting Heeney who is arguably pick 1 equivalent- almost certainly a top 5. So they dont need to trade anyone.
The benefit for Syd trading Mitchell is salary cap relief. He's taking up a reported 400k a year cos he originally didn't want to nom as a father/son pick and play in Syd subsequently they gave him a nice long term and high paying deal to nominate. COLA at work again.

Just as a hyperthetical, Rich give their first rounder for a player to Syd then Syd on trade the pick + Mitchell for 1. That would be ideal.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Voted for Petracca No 1. Unless they are offered a deal totally too good to reject

I reckon his disposal by foot is not all that poor. The vision many have seen is a package of every play he was involved in, in one game I think.

Got slammed last time I wrote that on the Saints BF board.....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Who cares who we get as long as in 3 years time he's one of the top 5 players in the country !

and stays in that group for 10 years .

am i asking too much ?

In red white and black from 73
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Trade. I'm hangin for a player+pick or two picks. Preference for Treloar.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Question: When was the last time the Saints had a genuine midfielder on their list who was really strong mark overhead?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Question: When was the last time the Saints had a genuine midfielder on their list who was really strong mark overhead?

Acres hopefully :)

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Re Petracca;
"The AIS star from the Eastern Ranges was playing alongside probable top five NBA draft pick Dante Exum for the under 17’s Australian basketball team, but made the choice to go down the AFL pathway."

And prior to his form this year, in 2013........
"His numbers speak for themselves; 41 goals in 17 games with an average of six and a half marks a game. He regularly racks up above 20 touches and many of his marks are contested. Keep in mind that in many of his games, he was playing behind Tom Boyd, Michael Apeness and Dan McStay. It’s also important to keep in mind that he was 186 cm and a whopping 96 kg.

Since then though, Petracca has come a long way. We chatted in the rooms after the Grand Final, and despite being completely enveloped in the moment, he was very clear when he said that he was going to build his tank and play in the midfield in 2014.

Since then he has dropped six kilos and worked on his tank with his running coach. His improvement over the time trials has been impressive."

http://boundforglorynews.com/christian- ... -prospect/

Sounds pretty committed. He's a goalkicker that plays above his height (good contested mark). So we get a power midfielder who is also a gun forward. Seems like a good deal.

saints1960

Kade Answerth of Oakleigh Chargers had a great final series with 3 finals 2Bogs and the clearance king in Gf why is know one talking about him ??

saint-stu
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Question: When was the last time the Saints had a genuine midfielder on their list who was really strong mark overhead?
Billings is a very good overhead mark.

1ac46a38
evo
Club Player

Might be counting chickens a little early regarding pick #1.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I was initially on the McCartin train but I'm starting to switch to Team Petracca now. He seems quite Fyfe like when he's hunting the ball - able to get the pill and then use his strength and agility to work it out of heavy traffic and make good decisions. He's a good mark, can kick damn long and his passing should get more accurate once he builds his tank and has a bit more poise. With Clarksons innovation of contantly rotating the forward line probably going to be copied he would be perfect for that. We will most probably be in the bottom 2 for the next couple of years so should still be able to get our hands on a big lump of a forward who would be as good or better than McCartin and we can see how Spencer, Markworth, STanley and Lee all develop.