Liam Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6709
Club Player

Liam Jones

There is a bit about this guy on another thread - apparently his dad played for the saints which I didn't know...word is he is looking at other options for himself going forward.

I like him - I recon he moves very well for a big guy and has played 66 games age 23 .. Depending on our other trades we may not need a big forward - can he go back ? Rap is he doesn't get enough of it as a forward - at least this year he didn't -- wonder if he would consider becoming a power Backman ??

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Liam Jones

Good VFL player, reminds me of Mark Scott

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I read that he has nominated Carlton as his club of choice.

I'm not mad on him for us.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Don't rate him. The bulldogs need a big key forward and he still can't get a game for them so that's saying something..

PJ
SS Life Member

He's been around for while without having much impact so yeah nah.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Good VFL player, reminds me of Mark Scott
Potential Gordon Fode. Although I think Fode was better.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

His father was Bob Jones, he was a very good player, great skills for a big bloke. Did his medial ligament and never played again

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:His father was Bob Jones, he was a very good player, great skills for a big bloke. Did his medial ligament and never played again
Molly Meldrum used to name Bob Jones as his favourite Saints player.

Did Molly fancy him, i don't know... :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Gurgman
Club Player

Im not one for taking other clubs cast offs but this kid can play , yes he has been around a while but so has Rhys , same age and Rhys has hardly set the world on fire and isn't likely to do IMO , Jones has far more footy smarts than Rhys . if we could get a decent pick which I don't think we would for Rhys id trade him at the drop of a hat if we could get Jones cheap , He may not ever be a star but in the long run I think he will still end up a better player than Rhys ,ps I have nothing against Rhys in fact I like him but not sure he will ever live up to what a lot of people think he is capable of.

And i thought this was a forum
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman wrote:Im not one for taking other clubs cast offs but this kid can play , yes he has been around a while but so has Rhys , same age and Rhys has hardly set the world on fire and isn't likely to do IMO , Jones has far more footy smarts than Rhys . if we could get a decent pick which I don't think we would for Rhys id trade him at the drop of a hat if we could get Jones cheap , He may not ever be a star but in the long run I think he will still end up a better player than Rhys ,ps I have nothing against Rhys in fact I like him but not sure he will ever live up to what a lot of people think he is capable of.

Who plays as our second ruck if Rhys isn't playing? I don't have the same confidence as you do in Jones. His kicking for starters will drive our fans crazy.

Gurgman
Club Player

How tall do you think Jones is Plugger , he is 198 cm and has kicked multiple bags of 5 and 6 , not sure Rhys has

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Good VFL player, reminds me of Mark Scott
Mark Scott was a bit better than a VFL player. He however had the misfortune of being a "pure" full forward when Lockett came along.

I remember one game at Princes Park where the starting full forward line was Lowe , Locket , Scott..

Kicked 110 goals in 34 games with us.

Having swapped him for Russell Greene though it was another trade where we got the worst of the deal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman wrote:How tall do you think Jones is Plugger , he is 198 cm and has kicked multiple bags of 5 and 6 , not sure Rhys has

I haven't seen him play in the ruck to often though no matter how tall he is. And he has never kicked more than 4 goals in an AFL senior game. Im not sold at all on Stanley but im sold even less on Jones. Anyway hasn't he said he wants to go to another club but it isn't ours?

Gurgman
Club Player

Maybe he has , but I think if we showed any interest he would be happy to come home so to speak , Im not saying he is the saviour but I think we would get more out of him than we will ever get out of Rhys , anyway its most likely not going to happen

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quite funny. Liam has kicked twice as many AFL goals as Rhys at the same age.

But I look at someone like Jones as a a squad player. OK he may not be Buddy Franklin. But you still need 38 players . Jones might be a Matt Spanger. Is he better than Maister? Yes. So like for like - he improves our list from last year in that one position. You have to make gradual list improvements and then get a few stars on top. You can't just go out and recruit 38 guns in 3 years. It won't happen.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Quite funny. Liam has kicked twice as many AFL goals as Rhys at the same age.

But I look at someone like Jones as a a squad player. OK he may not be Buddy Franklin. But you still need 38 players . Jones might be a Matt Spanger. Is he better than Maister? Yes. So like for like - he improves our list from last year in that one position. You have to make gradual list improvements and then get a few stars on top. You can't just go out and recruit 38 guns in 3 years. It won't happen.

Maister didn't hardly get a game this year so who cares if he is better. Yep we cant 38 guns in 3 years but we already have enough ordinary footballers. may as well take a punt on an unknown because only 22 play at once so if you miss out then big deal.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Quite funny. Liam has kicked twice as many AFL goals as Rhys at the same age.

Maister didn't hardly get a game this year so who cares if he is better. Yep we cant 38 guns in 3 years but we already have enough ordinary footballers. may as well take a punt on an unknown because only 22 play at once so if you miss out then big deal.
Maister was on the list. Thats a fact. Everything else is fantasy.
Not saying I have an opinion on Liam either way. But if we got him free - then he improves our list. You can't argue that.
It comes down to what we would have to give up. I would rather take a punt on a kid if its a pick 50 or so.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maister was on the list. Thats a fact. Everything else is fantasy.
Not saying I have an opinion on Liam either way. But if we got him free - then he improves our list. You can't argue that.
It comes down to what we would have to give up. I would rather take a punt on a kid if its a pick 50 or so.

I don't by this free stuff. They are still on the list so its costing something. Yep jones is better than Pierce and probably 10 others but I couldn't give a stuff about Sandy. I want our best 22 to improve, not our best 40. By the way Maister was delisted because he wasn't good enough. Or retired if you are nice. Getting a player better than a delisted player isn't something to hang your hat on.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:There is a bit about this guy on another thread - apparently his dad played for the saints which I didn't know...word is he is looking at other options for himself going forward.

I like him - I recon he moves very well for a big guy and has played 66 games age 23 .. Depending on our other trades we may not need a big forward - can he go back ? Rap is he doesn't get enough of it as a forward - at least this year he didn't -- wonder if he would consider becoming a power Backman ??

been mentioned on here about a million times....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Schillaci
Club Player

The things you learn... Never would've picked Liam as being Bob's kid. Bob is indigenous and looks it whereas Liam looks a ginga white. I know Bob only played a small number of games for us but my memories of him were that he was a battler. Liam hasn't done anything to show me he's worth having.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Stanley has played 50 odd games with at least 15 at CHB.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

According to his management on SEN he's nominated Carlton as his destination of choice.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:According to his management on SEN he's nominated Carlton as his destination of choice.
Great

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:

Stanley has played 50 odd games with at least 15 at CHB.
Yep so last year Rhys averaged 1 goal per game - which Liam has done for his whole career. So Liam is still ahead on goals but well behind Rhys on marks. As we know Rhys does his best work up the ground HF-Wing.

Anyways back to it - Seems like Jones to the Blues and Waite to Norf. I suspect Waite had a falling out with Micky M but no great loss. Like for Like I suppose. Blues certainly looking for a younger squad.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He'll be good for Carlton... Another 9th coming up.