We must hunt Hawthorns Intersanctum and pay$$$$

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

murray 66
Club Player

We must hunt Hawthorns Intersanctum and pay$$$$

I know we have Luke Beveridge coming on board next year to fill a coaching directors role (unless Gold Coast offer him senior role as rumoured on radio) Bluey McKenna is cooked at Suns????
We must hunt and be aggresive in regards to poaching Hawthorns senior generals ,Show them the $$$$$$ cause quiet simply they are the most professional club in the AFL bar to none.

Money talks guys and we must be willing to $$$ to attract the very best personnel from the Back to Back premiers,hunt them and convert them I say??????

Go Sainters.....................................

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: We must hunt Hawthorns Intersanctum and pay$$$$

You are behind the times...we got Pelchen a little bit back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
murray 66
Club Player

Fair Call Rising,but what I was refering to was their assistants.
Everyone has a price$$$$$$ .
We can't get their coach,but we can approach Clarkon's lieutenants.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

History usually says this doesn't work. Saw something a while back that said the Premiers are sometimes behind the future curve. Collingwood 2010? Quite a few staff left but were then behind the times. Hawthorn might be an exception. But we got Luke Beveridge, although I hadn't heard the GC rumour.

Given we nicked Richo late in the piece from a similar role at Port, it would be ironic if Luke got snaffled.
Last edited by Verdun66 on Sun 28 Sep 2014 8:49am, edited 1 time in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Better to create our own successful core of football people than believe that there are people with special super-hero powers from other clubs Hawthorn has been just as hit or miss with it's national draft selections in the past 10 years as most clubs, but it has done remarkably well with rookies and players traded in from other clubs. The one policy that has served them best when it has come to recruiting is the policy of ignoring players who can't hit targets. That's the main lesson we should learn from them

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Better to create our own successful core of football people than believe that there are people with special super-hero powers from other clubs Hawthorn has been just as hit or miss with it's national draft selections in the past 10 years as most clubs, but it has done remarkably well with rookies and players traded in from other clubs. The one policy that has served them best when it has come to recruiting is the policy of ignoring players who can't hit targets. That's the main lesson we should learn from them
What?

Are you saying the Hawks never would've recruited CJ?

He played over a hundred games for us and never hit a target. Maybe a dwarf though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Better to create our own successful core of football people than believe that there are people with special super-hero powers from other clubs Hawthorn has been just as hit or miss with it's national draft selections in the past 10 years as most clubs, but it has done remarkably well with rookies and players traded in from other clubs. The one policy that has served them best when it has come to recruiting is the policy of ignoring players who can't hit targets. That's the main lesson we should learn from them
What?

Are you saying the Hawks never would've recruited CJ?

He played over a hundred games for us and never hit a target. Maybe a dwarf though.
On a value for Pick basis Clint was a great piece of drafting. He's done some great tasks in his time, and oddly for guy with a poor boot, he's kicked some great goals. I would never regret having that bloke in our teams over the last few years.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

murray 66 wrote:I know we have Luke Beveridge coming on board next year to fill a coaching directors role (unless Gold Coast offer him senior role as rumoured on radio) Bluey McKenna is cooked at Suns????
We must hunt and be aggresive in regards to poaching Hawthorns senior generals ,Show them the $$$$$$ cause quiet simply they are the most professional club in the AFL bar to none.

Money talks guys and we must be willing to $$$ to attract the very best personnel from the Back to Back premiers,hunt them and convert them I say??????

Go Sainters.....................................

What is the rumour about Luke Beveridge going off to GC?

I thought he saw signed to come us in October.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

Can't help there.
ozrulestrace wrote: I thought he saw signed to come us in October.
Yes he did.

But it is the convention in the AFL that if someone is offered a "Head coaching" role that his existing club will not enforce his current contract.

ie Richo was Director of Football or similar title( ie the new role LB has at the Saints) at PA, was contracted, but PA allowed him to accept the St Kilda Head Coach offer even though PA were pissed about it.

andrewg
Club Player

Bevridge is enough. Comes highly regarded and will know plenty about the hawks.
I really like the look of
Pelican
Beveridge
Finnis
Richardson
As our off field team
Our media people seem on the ball and our fitness was pretty good and Hudson has been ok in development, he was outstanding with the young guys at Gippy power so I imagine that has translated to the saints.

To be honest our rebuild has been spot on so far..?
Last edited by andrewg on Sun 28 Sep 2014 1:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is vital that we get our off field working at a high level first. It is critical that Summers and Finnis deliver and provide the right environment.

Has there been a team that has won a flag in recent years that has not had a first class off-field set up????

Coaching, drafting, fitness etc are all critical too.... but you have to get the off field right.

Our last ascent started when Butters,Thomas, Ryan, Kellet, Waldon and others were all pulling in the same direction and working at a high level.

And not that we realised at the time, but the seeds of our current decline were sown when they infighting started followed by the Wastaway years of ineptness. Onfield we were going well, but Wastaway just let it all fall in in a heap. "Right"..not WRONG!

You need elected and appointed officials that have a passion to make a difference, and to not just want the glory of being a President.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Luke Beveridge effectively finishes with Hawthorn today and is tied to StKilda from tomorrow. Marcus Ashcroft is due to present his review of the coaching panel to the Gold Coast Suns board later in the week. If McKenna gets the chop then they have plenty of other coaching options to look at besides Luke. If they really wanted a Hawks person Brendan Bolton already has the runs on the board.

So that will be two of "Hawthorn's Inner Sanctum" we'll have picked up in recent seasons with Chris Pelchen being the key. And say what you like, yesterday just proved to me he knows what he is doing. StKilda will be seen by Hawthorn as a valued trading partner as we don't offer up duds (hearty congratulations to Big Ben) and got a ruckman they believed they needed to win a premiership. No way would the Saints have progressed with their current list with McEvoy as their key ruck. Did we really miss him this year, injuries to Hickey aside? Savage and the draft pick that ultimately became Dunstan gave us a smart rebounding defender and a quality, tough inside mid-fielder likely to be a 200 game player.

I am satisfied we have already hunted some of the best of Hawthorn's inner sanctum.

Saint supporter since '62
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Luke Beveridge effectively finishes with Hawthorn today and is tied to StKilda from tomorrow. Marcus Ashcroft is due to present his review of the coaching panel to the Gold Coast Suns board later in the week. If McKenna gets the chop then they have plenty of other coaching options to look at besides Luke. If they really wanted a Hawks person Brendan Bolton already has the runs on the board.

So that will be two of "Hawthorn's Inner Sanctum" we'll have picked up in recent seasons with Chris Pelchen being the key. And say what you like, yesterday just proved to me he knows what he is doing. StKilda will be seen by Hawthorn as a valued trading partner as we don't offer up duds (hearty congratulations to Big Ben) and got a ruckman they believed they needed to win a premiership. No way would the Saints have progressed with their current list with McEvoy as their key ruck. Did we really miss him this year, injuries to Hickey aside? Savage and the draft pick that ultimately became Dunstan gave us a smart rebounding defender and a quality, tough inside mid-fielder likely to be a 200 game player.

I am satisfied we have already hunted some of the best of Hawthorn's inner sanctum.

What was pelchens actual role at the Hawks and when did he start and why was he sacked? I hope you are right but he worries me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Bevridge is enough. Comes highly regarded and will know plenty about the hawks.
Pelican
Beveridge
Finnis
Richardson
As our off field team
Our media people seem on the ball.

It is 'sounding good...but they need to deliver.

Finnis

I had my doubts about Finnis when he was first appointed.

But have heard him a number of times since, and he really seems to burning with drive, passion and ideas to succeed.

He is clearly a deep thinker, and is very insightful.

We have not had a really good CEO since Waldron started to focus on shall we say "female colleagues".....

Pelchen

He clearly has a detailed multi-year strategy...and recruiting is after many inept years looking good. Whether the strategy will work or not is going to in part depend on some of his 'value" picks of Lee, Hickey, savage working Not all need to come off, but at least some do. With Milera looking to be gone, Lee with a huge question mark and Saad unfortunately lost to a drug infraction. If say Acres and Hickey and Savage make it then he will be going ok. Dunstan by himself is not going to turn our club around, and neither will the"normal" picks like Webster etc.

Drafting Team

Are looking much better than the incompetents that we had over a 5 year period.

Fitness Guy?

We continue to struggle here.
Ports secret weapon this year was being the fittest team in the AFL due to Burgess.

Richo and the others

Are making the right noises. But jury is still out. If we start to see second , third and lower tier players like Webster stepping up, then we will know that they are doing their jobs.

andrewg
Club Player

I think your wrong bout Dustans ability to turn the side around ...I think he can be as good as selwood and is a definite to captain our side for a long time. You can build teams around players like him due to his ability to lead on and off the field

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

For the first time in many years, our Off-Field team is looking very good, especially with Beveridge coming on board. Lets just hope that the Board is good enough to make the structure work. Still too many "old hands" on it for my liking.

The "key" at the moment falls heavily on our player selections and whilst some have been very good, the jury is still out on several others. It will be a very interesting "trade period" for us this year. A few Assistant Coaching changes will be important to us also.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

This article says plenty about how we came to secure Pelchen Plugs: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 1fl53.html

Saint supporter since '62
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:You are behind the times...we got Pelchen a little bit back.

and they can have him back afaic.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

murray 66 wrote:Fair Call Rising,but what I was refering to was their assistants.
Everyone has a price$$$$$$ .
We can't get their coach,but we can approach Clarkon's lieutenants.

we actually had him once as an assistant coach...but moved him on after only one year....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
andrewg wrote:Bevridge is enough. Comes highly regarded and will know plenty about the hawks.
Pelican
Beveridge
Finnis
Richardson
As our off field team

Finnis

But have heard him a number of times since, and he really seems to burning with drive, passion and ideas to succeed.

We have not had a really good CEO since Waldron started to focus on shall we say "female colleagues".....

Pelchen

He clearly has a detailed multi-year strategy...and recruiting is after many inept years looking good. Whether the strategy will work or not is going to in part depend on some of his 'value" picks of Lee, Hickey, savage working Not all need to come off, but at least some do. With Milera looking to be gone, Lee with a huge question mark and Saad unfortunately lost to a drug infraction. If say Acres and Hickey and Savage make it then he will be going ok. Dunstan by himself is not going to turn our club around, and neither will the"normal" picks like Webster etc.

Drafting Team

Fitness Guy?

Ports secret weapon this year was being the fittest team in the AFL due to Burgess.

Richo and the others

Are making the right noises. But jury is still out. If we start to see second , third and lower tier players like Webster stepping up, then we will know that they are doing their jobs.

To me Dunstan on his own might not but Billings will be a gun and probably more likely to be a superstar than Dunstan who is a probable leader and high level player but guys like Billings have the kind of class players like Wingard do. So far we have seen some very good signs from White, Hickey, Dunstan, Billings, and even Lee. If we can get Acres, Markworth etc up and about we could have a couple of very high level players already.
I also expect to get Newnes up to a very high level next year and you would think Wright, Murdoch and Saunders should be ready to step up. One is likely to have a breakout year.The guys taken a few years ago should be ready to step it up and usually at least one will jump out of the blocks in their third year. The Hawks have so many very high grade footballers and don't have many holes. If we can create something similar we will be on the right path.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:

Can't help there.
ozrulestrace wrote: I thought he saw signed to come us in October.
Yes he did.

But it is the convention in the AFL that if someone is offered a "Head coaching" role that his existing club will not enforce his current contract.

ie Richo was Director of Football or similar title( ie the new role LB has at the Saints) at PA, was contracted, but PA allowed him to accept the St Kilda Head Coach offer even though PA were pissed about it.

director of development i think...or something like that

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Pelican
Beveridge
Finnis
Richardson
As our off field team

Finnis

Pelchen

Drafting Team

Fitness Guy?

Richo and the others

i'm not sold on the pelican...... far from it.......alreadty he has given the flick to bj, dal and big boy... who's next.......joey?, armo? stanley...???.no matter what posters on here think...the rest of the footballing world reckons we are crazy.....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

quote="ozrulestrace"]

What is the rumour about Luke Beveridge going off to GC?[/quote]

Sounds like he is in the running for the GC job.
I am surprised Leigh Tudor hasnt been mentioned...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 7087498651

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Luke Beveridge effectively finishes with Hawthorn today and is tied to StKilda from tomorrow. Marcus Ashcroft is due to present his review of the coaching panel to the Gold Coast Suns board later in the week. If McKenna gets the chop then they have plenty of other coaching options to look at besides Luke. If they really wanted a Hawks person Brendan Bolton already has the runs on the board.

What was pelchens actual role at the Hawks and when did he start and why was he sacked? I hope you are right but he worries me.
Pelchen has done well since arriving at the Saints, agitating to get rid of him at this point worries me, especially if he was replaced by someone with the footy smarts of Peake, not the same role i know but Peake was given a lot of responsibilty and farked it up no end. Now he allegedly cleans the dunnies at Kardinia Park.

Dermott is Pelchen's biggest negative, the same Dermott who is in love with Watters, hence, credibility = zero.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?