Rookie Importance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Rookie Importance

I think it is important to not only nail our picks in the National Draft, but our Rookie Draft picks. Last year we got 2 guys whom established themselves in the lineup with Eli, looking like he may be able to cement a spot this year, and Mav being as consistent as he was. I think it is important that we fill our 3 rookie selections + Schneids who we will re draft. I'm thinking this year some sliders into the R.D could include Touk Miller, Peter Bampton, Jake Johanssen, Caleb Daniel, Lukas Webb, Matthew Ah Siu.
Thoughts on what players we should take

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Rookie Importance

Teams know that talent wise it is a deep draft so most will be using more live picks in the National Draft than they did last year. Having said that there seems to be always some who get squeezed into the rookie draft. They way things are looking with Schneider to be rookied and the strong chance of us taking another mature aged rookie, I would think the Saints are planning on taking less live picks in the rookie draft this year.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Teams know that talent wise it is a deep draft so most will be using more live picks in the National Draft than they did last year. Having said that there seems to be always some who get squeezed into the rookie draft. They way things are looking with Schneider to be rookied and the strong chance of us taking another mature aged rookie, I would think the Saints are planning on taking less live picks in the rookie draft this year.
So if it's a deep draft then surely Sippos would be cut???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The only under 18s game I saw this year Webb killed it. I'd be happy with him at 41.
Absolutely important to get rookie right though

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Teams know that talent wise it is a deep draft so most will be using more live picks in the National Draft than they did last year. Having said that there seems to be always some who get squeezed into the rookie draft. They way things are looking with Schneider to be rookied and the strong chance of us taking another mature aged rookie, I would think the Saints are planning on taking less live picks in the rookie draft this year.

for a pick around 79-80?....no thank...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
He is contracted for next season.
I think they will give him next year and if he doesn't make it will be delisted at next years end

One year will be our year
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I know for a fact that we have spoken at length with Ben Cavarra and his family. I would imagine that this would be for a rookie spot. He must be some sought of a chance

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I know for a fact that we have spoken at length with Ben Cavarra and his family. I would imagine that this would be for a rookie spot. He must be some sought of a chance

To be honest I would expect we have spoken to at least 60 players. Maybe even more. Obviously he is more chance than the ones we haven't spoken to.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

three more delisted drug cheats for you to drool over

Essendon has delisted Cory Dell'Olio, Dylan van Unen and Fraser Thurlow as it finalises its list ahead of November's national draft.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I know for a fact that we have spoken at length with Ben Cavarra and his family. I would imagine that this would be for a rookie spot. He must be some sought of a chance
Interesting that he didn't get drafted last year because of his height - but at 174cm he's 7cm taller than Caleb Daniel who a lot seem to be keen on. We surely couldn't take both of them even as rookies. For comparison, Watters has both comfortably covered.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

i dont think rookies are that important this year we lack a certain age bracket and would be better giving a few 24-25 yo's a go and then loading up on rookies next year as we already have 4 from the draft and a very young team that needs games. Better to have a couple of players fighting there ass off on a 1 year contract that will be ready to go if needed then a few maybes that will need a few years in the system.
Next years when that bracket is better filled load up on a few high picks and 4 rookies to push toward 2018

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
ace
Saintsational Legend

Schneider will now be a rookie pick probably at provisional No 55
Provisionally we also have rookie picks Nos 1, 19, 37.
All 4 of these rookie picks have been activated.
Will Ahmed Saad be one of them or will another club pounce ahead of us maybe even in the national draft.

We have 5 senior list picks activated with 1 held back for Membrey as pre season draft pick No 1
We have picks Nos 1, 21, 22 & 41 in the national draft and 4 rookie upgrade picks locked in.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:i dont think rookies are that important this year we lack a certain age bracket and would be better giving a few 24-25 yo's a go and then loading up on rookies next year as we already have 4 from the draft and a very young team that needs games. Better to have a couple of players fighting there ass off on a 1 year contract that will be ready to go if needed then a few maybes that will need a few years in the system.
Next years when that bracket is better filled load up on a few high picks and 4 rookies to push toward 2018
Sounds logical jimmy

You'd think we will go:

Main Draft
4 kids

Rookie Draft

1-2 kids
1-2 middle-age (23-25yo)
1 veteran - Schneider

spot on
Club Player

I would like us to try and pick a couple of key backs around 20-24 years old that are doing well in the state leagues and have genuine size about them. We are going to be stuffed if Delaney goes down. It's also more likely to
Be able to pick a key back in the state leagues than a key forward(eg Scott Thomson , tim mohr)
So for me
1 - best kid left
2- kpd from state leagues
3- kpd from state leagues
4- Schneider

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jimmy_slats wrote:i dont think rookies are that important this year we lack a certain age bracket and would be better giving a few 24-25 yo's a go and then loading up on rookies next year as we already have 4 from the draft and a very young team that needs games. Better to have a couple of players fighting there ass off on a 1 year contract that will be ready to go if needed then a few maybes that will need a few years in the system.
think you are probably right...if we want to be at all competitive

Playon
Club Player

ace wrote:Schneider will now be a rookie pick probably at provisional No 55
Will Ahmed Saad be one of them or will another club pounce ahead of us maybe even in the national draft.

We have 5 senior list picks activated with 1 held back for Membrey as pre season draft pick No 1
We have picks Nos 1, 21, 22 & 41 in the national draft and 4 rookie upgrade picks locked in.
With the meeting with Malthouse don't be surprised if Saad ends up at Carlton

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
ace wrote:Schneider will now be a rookie pick probably at provisional No 55

With the meeting with Malthouse don't be surprised if Saad ends up at Carlton
The odds of Saad ending up back at the saints appear slim. Probably 1 in 5 at best.
We have already committed to Eli Minch Membrey and Schneider so I cant see us rushing in early.
Blues just lost Eddie and Garlett so might be rating him a bit higher than we do.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 01 Nov 2014 7:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

Playon
Club Player

I would almost tip Carlton

defacto
Club Player

Die Hard 7 wrote:I think it is important to not only nail our picks in the National Draft, but our Rookie Draft picks. Last year we got 2 guys whom established themselves in the lineup with Eli, looking like he may be able to cement a spot this year, and Mav being as consistent as he was. I think it is important that we fill our 3 rookie selections + Schneids who we will re draft. I'm thinking this year some sliders into the R.D could include Touk Miller, Peter Bampton, Jake Johanssen, Caleb Daniel, Lukas Webb, Matthew Ah Siu.
Thoughts on what players we should take
not one of those players apart from maybe caleb daniel will last to the rookie draft

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I would almost tip Carlton
Saad is perfect for Carlton.....they live permanently in false hope that there is a messiah every year.

Fev, Juddy, Malthouse, Daisy......

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.