Surely Caro gotta be joking ..?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Surely Caro gotta be joking ..?

She has to be joking ..?

Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt arriving at the County Court to support Stephen Milne.
Lenny Hayes and Nick Riewoldt arriving at the County Court to support Stephen Milne. Photo: Penny Stephens
The decision by Nick Riewoldt to publicly support his former teammate Stephen Milne in court on Thursday has come at a heavy cost for the St Kilda captain.

Criticised on talkback radio and by anti-violence campaigners, Riewoldt's court appearance with Lenny Hayes in support of Milne was deemed bigger news in some key areas than the significant downgrading of the Milne charges from rape to one of indecent assault.

Worse, reporting of Riewoldt's written reference commenting on the impact the three rape charges had inflicted upon Milne's football career seemed to trivialise the original incident. Particularly in the context of the profound emotional damage to the victim who was 19 on that fateful night more than a decade ago.

Still Riewoldt, despite his second-hand involvement, has been no stranger to scandal during his time at the helm of the Saints. He cannot have been completely surprised at once again finding himself on the front pages for the wrong reasons and must have weighed that up before agreeing to Milne's request that he show solidarity in court.

This has been a desperately grubby, sad and poorly handled affair from the time the incident occurred back in March 2004. Not long afterwards Saints chairman Rod Butterss set an unfortunate tone when he revealed details of a sexual assault investigation into Milne and Leigh Montagna stressing the club could not give much detail but still managed to outline the social behaviour of the two young women concerned. The missteps along the way saw club, police and in one notable on-field exchange, even then-Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse, commit serious errors of judgment. The AFL launched its respect and responsibility policy off the back of that investigation and that too has coughed and spluttered over the decade.

The paralysis of leadership continued last year when the three rape charges were laid against Milne. Club chiefs were out of the country and coach Scott Watters declared Milne would be playing without any correct authority. Crisis meetings followed, Milne was stood down for a period of weeks more for practical rather than any other reasons and the players threatened to revolt. Riewoldt was disappointed in the lack of consultation at the time and has held strong opinions regarding the impact the incident has had and the toll it has taken upon Milne's life and career. Right or wrong, he appears to have not wavered in his thoughts on the issue.

Given that he must have known there would be fall out, his supportive stand clearly showed leadership even if there remains a level of disapproval from the public that his stand was misguided. But surely the club should have been notified that Riewoldt would be in court given the significance of the event.

Club chief Matt Finnis is fighting to reshape the culture at St Kilda and is doing so with the strong support of the AFL and its new boss Gillon McLachlan - a passionate Saint who sees the reforming and rebuilding of the club as a top-order priority. Finnis supported Riewoldt and has said several times in recent days that to dwell on the captain's stand for Milne is to deviate from and trivialise the real issue.

He has said he had no problem in not being told about his club captain turning up in court because he knows the player well and it was a stand he would have expected. Finnis' view was reportedly reinforced by the Saints player welfare manager Tony Brown, who also attended court.

But whether Riewoldt's public position upon Milne was a surprise to the CEO, it still seems strange the captain did not contact the club to tell them he would be there. That lack of communication is symptomatic of the old St Kilda, not the club that the new regime envisions.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Surely Caro gotta be joking ..?

yes yes yes ...its always kulcha.

poor journalism - not because she is criticising us but because it lacks a point and form of originality or insight

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

She actually doesn't explain herself very well at all. She says that Riewoldt has paid a heavy price for supporting Milne. In what context? What price? What is she on about? Is he going to lose the captaincy because of it? Are the club going to fine him? What?

I don't have a problem with her suggesting that Roo should have notified the club that he was going along to support his ex team mate and close friend and loyal servant of over 12 years at the club. Maybe he should have, maybe it wasn't necessary, depends on your point of view, but it's a valid enough point. The rest is really confusing, as she starts to blather on about culture and then seems to show some sort of admiration for Roo and his loyalty (even if she thinks it's a little misplaced)

What is she on about?

Rosco
Club Player

She's just upset that the age asked her to write a piece in what should be her holidays.

Finna
Club Player

Caro doesn't seem to have any idea about loyalty and looking out for people you care about.

Whether they are right or wrong, you stand by your mates and the people you care for.

Good on Roo for sticking up for his mate - so he should.

The article and it's author makes sense and really, is not surprising at all. In the slutty, yet ironically politically correct, world of tabloid journalism that Caro and the other slime-balls are part of there is no such thing as mate ship and loyalty, there is no place for it.......

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Caro will never recover from her statement that WADA had "passed" AOD9604. What's more, she was told she was wrong, advised to issue a correction by a colleague, but never bothered. A massive fail for someone who trained as a journalist, and not in the sporting arena.

Her cred's shot and that's what happens when someone prefers the ease of unaccountable commentary, and ignores facts.

Sexual assault type stuff is inevitably complex, and attempts to disregard that complexity, in favour of simplistic editorialising, demeans the seriousness of the whole show.

And, to pick out a bloke who wasn't central to what happened, at any time, shows a particular bent for irrelevance.

I'm truly sick of those who regard themselves as more important than the issue. Paltry opinions are worth a dime a dozen.

Did she ever mention Dayne Beams, alongside Sam Gilbert? Nup. She also bought into the Hinch crap, about Nick's mythical involvement with whatsherface.

She was wrong, again. But, did she ever admit it, retract, apologise? Nup, again.

She is in no position of authority to pass judgement on anyone.

She's now a very lazy ex-journo.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

A really penetrating commentary on the matter would at least mention the shameful conduct of the media during the saga. Ruthless sensationalism,
disinformation, dog-whistling, character assassination without a shred of concern for those involved.

Nope. When the media passes judgments on such "desperately grubby" affairs they rarely (if ever) comment on themselves. That's just what we do,
folks. We can't help it. Now excuse us while we get back to the ivory tower.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

The Herald Sun spread was much worse. Over three or four pages. And it was self demonstrating in regard to what the Judge said about trial by media and how Milne had copped it unfairly from the public (all taken into his considerations) - tucked away at article's end.

Headline easily could have read; RAPE CHARGES DROPPED, MILNE TREATED UNFAIRLY BY PUBLIC, TO EXPECT FINE ONLY

Rather than SAINT GUILTY AS SIN (or whatever it was)

Wilson badly clutching at straws as per usual with Saints. A bloke at work parroted this opinion to me about Riewoldt and I said 'what, you're not allowed to support a mate, what's wrong with that?' His thinking hadn't gone beyond this.

How are you able to criticise Riewoldt for not informing the club about attending when the player welfare manager was there? Intriguing. Talk about a storm in a frog's anus.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
maverick
Saintsational Legend

This is why you should never buy their papers

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Roo should've spoken to the club and the club then says yes by all means go to court and support your friend.

Roo will still be captain in 2015 and still be much loved by nearly all Saints fans.

Our membership will be shyte regardless of this and we'll struggle to get sponsors regardless.

I can't see much damage to a brand that is bottom of the barrel at the moment?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
longtimesaint
Club Player

What a poor piece of journalism,
She seems to totally miss the point that Nick and Lenny went to court to provide character witness for Milne,not to condone his actions.
I believe Milne has been harshly treated for a foolish alcohol fueled mistake 10 years ago, and has already paid a heavy penalty.

One year will be our year
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Fortius Quo Fidelius

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Who cares. means jack.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree

As to the cost, she may know something about that too.

If reports are true that Finnis is trying to land a big new major sponsor as we speak....the other day was not ideal at all.

Those that can't see that don't particularly bother me.

You are all passionate Sainters on a saints Internet forum, it's hard to criticise....admire the passion, but can't agree here.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:yes yes yes ...its always kulcha.

poor journalism - not because she is criticising us but because it lacks a point and form of originality or insight
Love this one Teflon. Bloody Kulcha :lol: :lol: :lol:

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:I agree

As to the cost, she may know something about that too.

If reports are true that Finnis is trying to land a big new major sponsor as we speak....the other day was not ideal at all.

Those that can't see that don't particularly bother me.

You are all passionate Sainters on a saints Internet forum, it's hard to criticise....admire the passion, but can't agree here.
I think most people can see that there was potential damage to the club. There is also personal criticism of Roo. They had a choice, support a friend, or their employer.

The club is bigger than the individual when it's about football. But this was not a football matter. This was about Milneys life, and his families life.

I'm glad that Roo and Lenny went and supported their mate.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:She actually doesn't explain herself very well at all. She says that Riewoldt has paid a heavy price for supporting Milne. In what context? What price? What is she on about? Is he going to lose the captaincy because of it? Are the club going to fine him? What?

I don't have a problem with her suggesting that Roo should have notified the club that he was going along to support his ex team mate and close friend and loyal servant of over 12 years at the club. Maybe he should have, maybe it wasn't necessary, depends on your point of view, but it's a valid enough point. The rest is really confusing, as she starts to blather on about culture and then seems to show some sort of admiration for Roo and his loyalty (even if she thinks it's a little misplaced)

What is she on about?
I heard on SEN that he has signed a 2 year contract. They must be really angry with him down at the saints. And why isn't Lenny questioned, I know he
isn't a saints player any more, but why not question him too. Good on em I say, they obviously know more about the night than me or Caro and decided
to be there for him. I would think my mates would do that for me too.

Darth Vader
Club Player

I'm not a Caro hater at all. I actually think she does a very good job overall - sure she's stuffed a few things up over the years, but who hasn't? But I agree with the comments that this article is rambling and lacks a point. The whole tone of the article is critical of Roo, but then she says he showed good leadership. She's right in saying he should have told the club he was attending, but it's not a big deal. Comes across that she's looking for a drama that isn't there.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:She actually doesn't explain herself very well at all. She says that Riewoldt has paid a heavy price for supporting Milne. In what context? What price? What is she on about? Is he going to lose the captaincy because of it? Are the club going to fine him? What?

What is she on about?
exactlly....just caro laying in the boots simply because she can..........dirtbag if you ask me....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nobody thinks its weird Roo didn't tell Finnis?

Ok then.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Nobody thinks its weird Roo didn't tell Finnis?

Ok then.
He takes responsibility for his own actions. Weird hey.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Ok then.
Very weird.

Given he carries the brand on his shoulders.

Maybe he knew the answer...

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

SainterK wrote:
satchmo wrote:

Ok then.
Very weird.

Given he carries the brand on his shoulders.

Maybe he knew the answer...
Many times it is easier to seek forgiveness rather than permission............

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm loathe to comment on any thing to do with the case as I think I'm biased because of the way I have rated Milne the player. I think he's probably served a harsher penalty than most alleged perpetrators of similar actions have especially when guys like a chef who broke into a womans' apartment and assaulted her was allowed to walk out of court because he was drunk and was opportunistic rather than planned. I think community standards have become a little more grown up in the last decade also. I think Riewoldt should have alerted the club and it has allowed the club to be put in a negative light again. It's really a difficult one for everyone who is probably torn in a similar way to me. He has given a lot of joy to people but he also made a poor decision when he was young and the community felt he should have faced charges. Hopefully it all ends soon and the player can be remembered rather than the act.

markp
Saintsational Legend

A 'good' excuse for a rehash of the story and rerun of the narrative... but ultimately just a one day wonder.

We live in the age of clickbait... someone was gonna.