Why I'd be angry if we take Paddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Nothing to do with the player or the pick
The fact that this (if true) has leaked from our club. I mean WTF is wrong with the place. They actually made a point of drumming this up to be the best kept secret since I don't know what and yet it leaks? Hopeless

On a side note the HS is reporting Melbourne may pass on petracca instead taking Wright. If this happens what do all the Mccartin haters have to say about that?

#1 Ryder fan
luc1966
Club Player

Re: Why I'd be angry if we take Paddy

Yeah was thinking same with hours of us saying we won't tell the player until draft day it was all over the news

luc1966
Club Player

Yeah was thinking same with hours of us saying we won't tell the player until draft day it was all over the news

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Did you ever think the club may have intentionally leaked it?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

What would be the point in an intentional leak? If that were the case why not just come out and say it?

#1 Ryder fan
takeaway
Club Player

From what I can gather McCartin has been our preferred pick all along, and the club just needed to do due diligence on the top prospects before reaching a final decision. I am sure the leak came from other clubs who were pretty certain that StKilda had not changed its mind - which Ameet Bains confirmed recently - there has been no change.

In any event, we cannot lose from any of the top 3, and with our list, picks 21 & 22, future drafts strong on good midfielders, McCartin is the right choice.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What if we pick Lamb up and Eli is playing together with him?
How will we tell them apart? ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote:What would be the point in an intentional leak? If that were the case why not just come out and say it?
Because the Saints faithful would have broken the internet for starters. And Ameet and Elshaugh would have been chased down with torches and pitch forks.

We already had Petracca on a pedestal, we would have collectively flipped out if it had been dumped on us tonight.

I don't mind the leak. It let's us go off the handle before its a certainty, then compose ourselves prior to the confirmation.

Either that or they're taking the p1ss and just messing with us...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Stakeholder management/manipulation

Ge'ez us this will be monumental if Petracca becomes Judd

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:What would be the point in an intentional leak? If that were the case why not just come out and say it?
Maybe to prepare saints fans who were super excited about Petracca… & build a bit of media excitement about McCartin… We don't want the media reporting that we haven't taken the best player, so we drum up some positive vibes about the player we are going to take.

Can't see any downside to this leak to be honest?
Last edited by dragit on Thu 27 Nov 2014 9:02am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

In a way I dont get th strategy
Sure we are at some stage going to make big free agency play - why not do that for a forward (even one whose proven himself at AFL level aka Sydney model) and in the meantime develop a killer midfield??

Petracca has kicked as much goals as McCartin in the same comp????

Sorry but this smacks of a blunder to me - even were we to need to trade for a gun forward with a quality midfield we have an option and get to look at them in battle first to make sure we aren't passing on a Judd
Bizarre to me but if wrong - recruiting will hear about it

“Yeah….nah””
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:Nothing to do with the player or the pick
The fact that this (if true) has leaked from our club. I mean WTF is wrong with the place. They actually made a point of drumming this up to be the best kept secret since I don't know what and yet it leaks? Hopeless

On a side note the HS is reporting Melbourne may pass on petracca instead taking Wright. If this happens what do all the Mccartin haters have to say about that?

Brett Anderson on SEN last night stated he had been ringing around the other clubs and all the speculation about MCCartin was from them not from the Saints.

Categorically stated "Saints fans, your club has not leaked anything"

Take that as you will. Brett worked at the Saitns and has contacts at Seaford and said he could get nothing because only a couple of people knew who the No.1 pick was.

Think sometimes people look to take potshots at the club when it is unwarranted.

In saying that I still think taking McCartin is a mistake. Would Prefer Petracca, but that is a different issue.

You are garbage - Enough said
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much resigned to the idea of taking Paddy (what choice have we got?)
Feels like a mistake to pass up Petracca, but hopefully I'm completely wrong and McCartin is a star.
When his name is drawn everyone should get on board, the kid is 18, coming into the last placed team in the comp with expectations of replacing Rooey....he needs a warm welcome and plenty of support from all Saints fans.

Nee!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, I just don't understand.
If we pick Petracca there was no leak.
If we pick McCartin there was a leak.

You don't consider the possibility that there is no leak and we pick McCartin because we think he's the best.

Maybe we should pick Petracca just so nobody thinks there was a leak.

By the way, I've got a mate at the Electoral commission who says the Libs have won.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Legendary
Club Player

There's about 5 people who know which player St Kilda is taking with #1, and you can guarantee none of them have said anything.

This speculation is entirely from other clubs and journalists.

Imagine if we picked Angus Brayshaw with our first pick... :lol:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm angry cause the entire footy world is focused on our club tonight, and we still couldn't land a sponsor.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:There's about 5 people who know which player St Kilda is taking with #1, and you can guarantee none of them have said anything.

This speculation is entirely from other clubs and journalists.

Imagine if we picked Angus Brayshaw with our first pick... :lol:
I'll tear up my Membership!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:P

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Pretty much resigned to the idea of taking Paddy (what choice have we got?)
Feels like a mistake to pass up Petracca, but hopefully I'm completely wrong and McCartin is a star.
When his name is drawn everyone should get on board, the kid is 18, coming into the last placed team in the comp with expectations of replacing Rooey....he needs a warm welcome and plenty of support from all Saints fans.
+1

kosifantutti wrote:By the way, I've got a mate at the Electoral commission who says the Libs have won.
You need to make this go viral, so all the Liberal voters become complacent and don't show up to the polling booths on Saturday.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:By the way, I've got a mate at the Electoral commission who says the Libs have won.
You need to make this go viral, so all the Liberal voters become complacent and don't show up to the polling booths on Saturday.
Sound a bit scared there Sainternist :P

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Sound a bit scared there Sainternist :P
Nothing for me to be scared about, Doc. I have been immune to such fears since Tony Abbott was elected PM last year. I am, however, dubious of the ALP winning on Saturday.

Splodge

It does'nt matter that everyone knows we are choosing McCartin, the club probably leaked it out, who cares?. The fact is we cant lose with either player but choosing
the key forward makes a lot of sense. We need to nail 21 & 22 in a supposedly deep draft!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Splodge wrote:It does'nt matter that everyone knows we are choosing McCartin, the club probably leaked it out, who cares?. The fact is we cant lose with either player but choosing
the key forward makes a lot of sense. We need to nail 21 & 22 in a supposedly deep draft!
Supposedly the deepest draft in years. We'll be drafting some great talent tonight. It's just a matter of choosing the right players for our needs.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

none of that is true. SEN catagorically stated that the Saints have not leaked anything. other clubs speculations.

Roos last night on 3aw said that melbourne would not pass on petracca

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PR tactic to manage the expectations and disappointment of our supporters (including mine!) as well as to hose down the shock and surprise when the pick is announced.

It might also help take off any initial pressure on the two players.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saints still keeping mum on No.1 selection

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-27/s ... mum-on-no1