We need to embrace New Zealand.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

We need to embrace New Zealand.

I honestly believe that New Zealand has the capacity to make the St Kilda FC a power house in the AFL. If done correctly I expect 10, 000 kiwi based members within the next 10 years and a huge flow on effect in Australia. ie, every kiwi that emigrates to Australia will automatically follow the Saints.

For all the doubters click on the link below and listen carefully but more importantly look at the smile on the kids faces.

http://aflnz.co.nz/st-kilda-visit-auckl ... nity-camp/

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need to embrace New Zealand.

wot a load of that steaming smelly stuff......kiwis are union and league fans...that will never change in my lifetime........if i moved to kiwi land i would still follow the saints not that rugger rubbish...reckon most kiwis would feel the same way about footy.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Come on mods. He's got an IP address, block it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Obvious troll.
Preposterous suggestion.
Do not feed.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

The post is quite reasonable, IMO.

Citywest is not saying we should move to NZ, only that we should do everything we can to promote the club and build a supporter base there. What's wrong with that?

Any extra $ for the club is a good thing.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... how come the Hawkers get such a big wrap (profile wise) on the NZAFL site CW ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Austinnn
Club Player

Principle of Q'uo wrote:... how come the Hawkers get such a big wrap (profile wise) on the NZAFL site CW ?
Probably cos they are the premiers. If you're trying to get people into a sport, you should showcase the best examples. It hurts, but right now that ain't us. Perhaps to show the pinnacle to which their team is aspiring.

By the way PoQ, love your new sig!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
stinger
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:The post is quite reasonable, IMO.

Citywest is not saying we should move to NZ, only that we should do everything we can to promote the club and build a supporter base there. What's wrong with that?

i'm happy to start a collection for both you and city west to move over the ditch....permanently... :wink: :wink: :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

City west please get some help

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:... how come the Hawkers get such a big wrap (profile wise) on the NZAFL site CW ?
for several years they have used some of their excess $$$$ to promote the game in NZ- one of the reasons for the NZ national team being nicknamed the Hawks

I assume the AFL found they weren't interested in having a game over there - as they were already committed to Tasmania- and hence were happy for the Saints to take up the slack...
Hawks fans may not have so readily accepted another home game out of the state- would have made 5 in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
for several years they have used some of their excess $$$$ to promote the game in NZ- one of the reasons for the NZ national team being nicknamed the Hawks

I assume the AFL found they weren't interested in having a game over there - as they were already committed to Tasmania- and hence were happy for the Saints to take up the slack...
Hawks fans may not have so readily accepted another home game out of the state- would have made 5 in total.

they also have about three kids signed up

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:

i'm happy to start a collection for both you and city west to move over the ditch....permanently... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Fine with me. Go for it. I'll send you my bank details.

By the way, are you going to the AGM? Why don't you read out your letter.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
stinger wrote:

Fine with me. Go for it. I'll send you my bank details.

By the way, are you going to the AGM? Why don't you read out your letter.

Because he makes things up. By the way I cant agree with you on CW. He has been told many times the issues with what he says and refuses to discuss them.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need to actually win a game there at some point too. It won't be next year on the face of it - hopefully it won't be too embarrassing, a 15 goal loss which is over halfway through the second quarter would be a disaster.

That was the problem with the Launceston experiment as well; despite having the second strongest list in the club's history we struggled to win 50% of our games there.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We are already embracing N.Z.

If we want 10K based N.Z members which is a reasonable target, N.Z. needs to embrace the Saints.

No need to begin a thread on it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'm wearing my Saints jumper at Gallipoili next year. Will try and recruit a few kiwis while there!

citywest

Fortunately the people at St Kilda have a lot more vision than some people at SAINTSATIONAL. I'm really hoping that the current agreement is extended to 2 games per year in NZ + 1 pre-season game as well. It is early days yet but I honestly believe that 10,000 members is achievable.

Right at this point in time St Kilda have a debt of $9Million, and this is only 4 years after playing in 2 consecutive GF's (3 if you include the replay). If that isn't enough to set off the alarm bells then I'm not sure what is. I fear the Saints are at the point of no return, even worse than the 1980's when we were bankrupt and if it was up to Carlton, we would have folded. Thirty years down the track after since having 3 periods of relative success we find ourselves in the same position again.

If the Saints are going to survive then NZ has to work for us. It's not the silver bullet but it is a great start. Moorabbin upgrade looks like it will happen so that's a tick. The other component is the JO. The club have to get all 3 up or else we will always be at the mercy of others.

Now I know all the usual suspects will sabotage my post with "Don't feed the troll" or "He is an Essendon troll" or the latest "He is a Melbourne troll" however, I would like to see some serious debate regarding our predicament and if you don't agree with me then that's fine but please articulate what your alternative is. Oh yeah, please don't say that the alternative is that we must recruit well and develop the players well, or that we need the best people in the right places. This is not an alternative, this is a given, something that all clubs must have at a minimum. If you genuinely don't agree with what I am posting then what is your alternative that will pay off our $9million debt and keep us out of debt once and for all.

I look forward to a robust debate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Fortunately the people at St Kilda have a lot more vision than some people at SAINTSATIONAL. I'm really hoping that the current agreement is extended to 2 games per year in NZ + 1 pre-season game as well. It is early days yet but I honestly believe that 10,000 members is achievable.

Right at this point in time St Kilda have a debt of $9Million, and this is only 4 years after playing in 2 consecutive GF's (3 if you include the replay). If that isn't enough to set off the alarm bells then I'm not sure what is. I fear the Saints are at the point of no return, even worse than the 1980's when we were bankrupt and if it was up to Carlton, we would have folded. Thirty years down the track after since having 3 periods of relative success we find ourselves in the same position again.

If the Saints are going to survive then NZ has to work for us. It's not the silver bullet but it is a great start. Moorabbin upgrade looks like it will happen so that's a tick. The other component is the JO. The club have to get all 3 up or else we will always be at the mercy of others.

Now I know all the usual suspects will sabotage my post with "Don't feed the troll" or "He is an Essendon troll" or the latest "He is a Melbourne troll" however, I would like to see some serious debate regarding our predicament and if you don't agree with me then that's fine but please articulate what your alternative is. Oh yeah, please don't say that the alternative is that we must recruit well and develop the players well, or that we need the best people in the right places. This is not an alternative, this is a given, something that all clubs must have at a minimum. If you genuinely don't agree with what I am posting then what is your alternative that will pay off our $9million debt and keep us out of debt once and for all.

I look forward to a robust debate.

I have tried to debate you previously like when you have said we should play a game in Auckland even though there isn't a ground suitable to AFL footy. I have also mentioned that NZ people have little no interest in AFL footy. Also Wellington has only a population of 200k people where as Tassie have 500k and the Hawks have just got about 10 k members now. Yep I know NZ have a much bigger population but they aren't going to join a club when they cant even see the games. Its pie in the sky to suggest we would ever get 10K members. As for 2 games well again there is no point in playing 2 games if Wellington only want to pay us to play one game. It defeats the purpose. The Pre season game is ok but would the AFL pay money to get another game over there. Im doubtful.

citywest

So plugger66, are you saying that you believe that NZ has no hope of working?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:So plugger66, are you saying that you believe that NZ has no hope of working?

Yes I am saying that and we are only doing it for the money, not a long term solution.

citywest

So what is your alternative to finally get the Saints out of debt and make us some money so we can compete with the big boys?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:So what is your alternative to finally get the Saints out of debt and make us some money so we can compete with the big boys?

No idea but winning will help. A better run club would also help. God knows how the 8 years of success didn't get success off the ground. Its hard to believe actually.

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:So what is your alternative to finally get the Saints out of debt and make us some money so we can compete with the big boys?

No idea but winning will help. A better run club would also help. God knows how the 8 years of success didn't get success off the ground. Its hard to believe actually.
Winning will help I agree but it is not an alternative. The only alternative is to grow the club/open new markets. Tassie was perfect but we stupidly gifted that to Hawthorn. We now have a second and final chance with NZ. I'm not going to even try and convince you but I suggest you visit the NZAFL website and have a look around. You might be surprised at the strides St Kilda are making.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Winning will help I agree but it is not an alternative. The only alternative is to grow the club/open new markets. Tassie was perfect but we stupidly gifted that to Hawthorn. We now have a second and final chance with NZ. I'm not going to even try and convince you but I suggest you visit the NZAFL website and have a look around. You might be surprised at the strides St Kilda are making.

I know exactly the strides are making. I saw how many attended the game last year. Yep a few more re interested in the game. The problem is nearly all NZ aren't interested in the game.

citywest

Are you aware that Kiwi Kick has over 30,000 youngsters enrolled and playing Aussie rules? Who gives 2 hoots about the attendance and besides we have had more people attend our 2 games than the average rugby game in NZ. Please try and look at the positives and the reasons why NZ may work rather than the reasons why NZ may not work. Plus you still haven't proposed an alternative that will enable St Kilda pay off their $9Million debt. And the reason for this is that there is no alternative.

North Melbourne are making profits and are firmly entrenched in Hobart. Footscray are making profits and now have sewn up Ballarat with Government funding. Melbourne are making profits and are entrenched in the top end of Australia. St Kilda have NZ and are still making million dollar losses. If we abandon NZ like we did Tassie we are finished.