Starting to Feel Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Starting to Feel Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

I can't remember feeling this proud of being a St.Kilda supporter since our last Premiership window was still open. It feels like 2001 all over again. No high expectations for us this year, but I'm really jazzed over how this new team will start fitting together. No pressure to make finals, just to improve and develop. It just seems like all the old cobwebs and dust has been blown off. No longer feeling the every day anguish from after the last group missed out on the Big Kahuna, because it now seems we could have a great future ahead to make up for those past disappointments.

Last year was pretty hard to endure. Particularly during that 15 game losing streak, being comprehensively beaten every week. No doubt, we'll lose a good number of games again, but I think we'll be able to be more philosophical after losses and have a clearer understanding on where we can improve. There'll be a real shift in momentum this year, I can sense it.

Also, a congratulations to the club for it's wonderful progress throughout the off-season is in order. Fantastic trade and draft period. Injuries are down and fitness amongst the squad is up, with some very solid pre-season work. Considering last year we finished last, the membership campaign has been very successful. Russell Holmesby revealing his top 25 all time Saints added some intrigue. And finally in finding a new major sponsor was a terrific breakthrough.

Up the mighty Saints!
Last edited by Sainternist on Thu 29 Jan 2015 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saint 58
Club Player

Re: Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

+ 1 !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

Considering we are likely spooners it's been very positive off season

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigballs
Club Player

Re: Starting to Feel Excited About the 2015 Season Ahead

Don't ever underestimate a team full of young achievers wanting to make a name for themselves. I can't believe the amount of negativity amongst some of the posters on this site who are dead set sure that we will get the wooden spoon again this year.

Getting the spoon last year hurt everyone associated with the club, none more so than the players. No doubt the players would want to make amends for that, not just for themselves and the club, but for the supporters and the new and current sponsors.

Whilst I don't think we'll set the world on fire, I think we'll see a lot more of a competitive side this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see us notch up six or more wins, particularly if we stay relatively injury free for most of the season.

Having a good off-season right across the board plus the fact that a lot of our players had personal best times bodes well for the coming season. I'm sure they can't wait for it all to start......nor can I!!

spot on
Club Player

Well said mate. I'm really excited too. The amount of talent on Our list is really growing. With all the money we should have in our cap. We should be really scouting the missing pieces of our list with trades and free agents too. Aswell as most likely receiving another really early pick (1-3) I would think. Things are really looking up!

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

spot on wrote:Well said mate. I'm really excited too. The amount of talent on Our list is really growing. With all the money we should have in our cap. We should be really scouting the missing pieces of our list with trades and free agents too. Aswell as most likely receiving another really early pick (1-3) I would think. Things are really looking up!

True but with free agency. Don't sell the farm to get one player. There are no saviours. We need a champion team. Not champion players.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

me too...but then i get excited every year....hate it when the footy is not on....
Last edited by stinger on Fri 30 Jan 2015 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

keep a lid on it

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would have been a bit more excited if we had have been at least competitive in our losses in 2014, but we were downright uncompetitive as a team in far too many games. I am hoping this year will be a reboot season and we will show some competitiveness win lose or draw, then I will know we are on the right track. The pre-season games are going to be very interesting, as last season they were very flat and uninspiring.

stkfc1
Club Player

Lets not forget this is the first proper pre season that the players have had under Richo. He came in last minute last year trying to implement a game plan on the fly. So hopefully we'll see a bit more continuity in how we play this year. Will make a big difference.

bergsone
SS Life Member

We also had injuries to expierenced players,Gilbert,Steven,Armo,Fisher etc,which left the cupboard pretty bare at times.Hopefully our exp players can stay on the park,IMO that will make a big difference to the youngsters,and will make us much more competitive.Really looking forward to this year,and believe that we will be better than many think

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Off season generally leads us Saints tragics into a false sense of security and positivity for the coming year. Hope suggests we will take quantum leaps this year but reality says we will improve but so will the rest of the competition. We will still have a very inexpereinced list which wont be able to maintain the required levels to win many more games. The positive for all us is watching these talented kids turn into men and really challenge again in coming years!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Fantastic OP Sainternist.

+1 here too. The lid is on, but bubbling ...

Always loyal
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I watched a bit of the bulldogs over the last few years and there is a point where the kids step up. Part of the exciting thing is not knowing which ones. They were hopeful with Libba and Wallis but they looked average for a few seasons but then they just one day seemed to be good players. Mc Crae and Stringer are showing potential star qualities and several of the youngsters are becoming solid citizens. I think they might drop off on performance in 2015 after dropping their senior core but they will progress over the next few years.

We will probably find guys like Newness and Ross really progressing after a few years in the system. I have a feeling Billings star will rise this year too, he is so classy at training you just want him to get the footy. He was sending the ball into the 50 in a drill and he just does everything easily and well. Was against a group of mids so he might be playing a bit further from goal this year or getting a bit of a run anyway.

wolfpup
Club Player

Good post

I am really interested to see the progress of Murdoch, Ross, Newnes, Wright, Webster and MIchington (yes him as well) this year, I really rate Murdoch.

Obviously Dunstan, Billings should also progress well and hopefully step up a level, Acres was a highly rated player in his draft but he had injury concerns, hopefully he can have an injury free year and show what he can do.

Besides awesome recruiting of Paddy and Goddard, i think McKenzie will be a surprise packet this year, fingers crossed.

I feel we might sprint out of the blocks in the first 5 rounds this year and surprise pundits.

Hey i can be optimistic cant i?

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great thread. I feel certain some kids are going to stand up and be good - but i have no idea who. So thats exciting.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i honestly think that we wont win the spoon this year
so on that note we prob will.

im looking forward to the season as well
see if dunny and billings continue on improving
see if newnes grows into the leader i think he will be after roo does eventually go
see if bull gets more games
see how we go with no stanley
see if the padster gets in straight away
see if chips gets thru the whole season
see if gilbert manages to sort that foot out
see what acres can do

and finally to just bring some footy back
my cricket interest has dropped hugely over the last 5 to 7 years to the point where i couldnt name 5 players in the Aussie test side
so bring on the footy
bring on the saints

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Everyone, from every club, is flying this time of the year and reality will set in soon enough.

I think it's probably another development year, but there are a few spots that have opened up for someone to really make their mark. Namely, Lenny's spot as leader of the midfield and the spot held last year by Stanley.

Who will step up?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

my best team...don't know if they will all be available for round one....

b... ....geary fisher gilbert

h,b ....savage delaney dempster

c.......newnes steven montagna

h.f ....dunstan riewoldt webster

f........billings white templeton

r.......hickey weller armitage

inter....ross ray murdoch bruce

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

True but with free agency. Don't sell the farm to get one player. There are no saviours. We need a champion team. Not champion players.
thats my wish as well.
... still think we'll be spooners though will love watching us not be.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:
thats my wish as well.
... still think we'll be spooners though will love watching us not be.
Tend to agree. Id rather be patient and build a solid list. I feel maybe the Doggies panicked and over-paid for Boyd because they wanted to appease their fans at that time after the Griffen fiasco played out. I think the Dogs will be a good solid mid-table team but maybe not get further up than that.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Watched the Crows Rd4 game today - was a great reminder of how ordinary we were last year! The Crows smalls destroyed us and pressured our every disposal and just did what they wanted the other way. Our ball movement was atrocious. Lets hope we can improve on those sort of performances this year, it was difficult to watch.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sasaint
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Watched the Crows Rd4 game today - was a great reminder of how ordinary we were last year! The Crows smalls destroyed us and pressured our every disposal and just did what they wanted the other way. Our ball movement was atrocious. Lets hope we can improve on those sort of performances this year, it was difficult to watch.
On the other hand I watched the bombers game and saw how good some of ourkids are. Billings is just a natural. It also showed me that we have let a few players go that needed to go and that when replaced should lift us. Reece though showed a bit so pity to see him go, although I think Goddard will be a better long term player. The biggest problem I see for us is that the teams that are the other potential wooden spooner's are all looking much better. The GWS, Doggies and Demons all look much better this year. The Blues are the only team that look to me like they are spiraling to the bottom. Can only hope so. :D

Patience young grasshopper
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

sasaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Watched the Crows Rd4 game today - was a great reminder of how ordinary we were last year! The Crows smalls destroyed us and pressured our every disposal and just did what they wanted the other way. Our ball movement was atrocious. Lets hope we can improve on those sort of performances this year, it was difficult to watch.
On the other hand I watched the bombers game and saw how good some of ourkids are. Billings is just a natural. It also showed me that we have let a few players go that needed to go and that when replaced should lift us. Reece though showed a bit so pity to see him go, although I think Goddard will be a better long term player. The biggest problem I see for us is that the teams that are the other potential wooden spooner's are all looking much better. The GWS, Doggies and Demons all look much better this year. The Blues are the only team that look to me like they are spiraling to the bottom. Can only hope so. :D
Why are GWS, Bulldogs and Dees looking so much better then us this season ?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:The Blues are the only team that look to me like they are spiraling to the bottom. Can only hope so. :D
I don't want Carlton to ever finish last. It gives them priority draft picks. Best seeing our beloved Scumbaggers finishing around 9-12th in the limbo of mid-table mediocrity. I just love how they kid themselves at the beginning of every year that they have a team worthy of the top four.

LET 'EM ROT!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!