Training 4/2/15

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Training 4/2/15

Today was a bit of match simulation, which was by far the most interesting session I've seen so far this year, mainly because it gave me a better indication of how the Coaches see there team lining up.

For instance Bruce will be perhaps looking to be playing the relief ruckmen role as that's the role he was playing today.

Blake Acers was playing across HB and looks very comfortable there.

Billings was playing on ball which I think has come around earlier then the club anticipated which is a great thing.

Holmes looks to be coming along really nicely in the ruck took some nice grabs, not to sure what the club saw in Longer to be honest can't take a mark at this stage.

Steven moved very well and got the separation out of the centre bounce which we've become accustomed to.

Sinclair looked really good in close and has sweet sidestep.

Fisher will super important this year.

Roberton Looks fit and bigger this year I think last yr could've just been a one off.

Hugh Goddard was very good

Tom Lee looks fit and was involved a lot, very good when the ball was on the ground, but dropped a mark that I couldn't believe he dropped.

Savage very good off HB

Membrey provided a good focal point across HF

Mccartin took a strong grab and kicked a long goal.

Few absentees No Roo, No Geary, No Armo, still no Hickey sand no Lewis Pierce.
Last edited by Hallalj#3 on Wed 04 Feb 2015 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: Training 4/2/15

Thanks again for the update Hallalj#3; any sign of Joey?

Always loyal
Hallalj#3
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:Thanks again for the update Hallalj#3; any sign of Joey?
Yeah mate dominated the session.. Plenty of it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Thanks again for the update Hallalj#3; any sign of Joey?
Didn't he go to Essendon?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Great stuff Hallalj#3 looking forward to more!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Thanks Hallalj#3 for taking the time to write this up.

Coaches are probably just trying a few positional options. Akers at HB sounds interesting. Steven moving well is very good news.

In all, everyone seemed to be moving well, as one would like to see at this time of year :D

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Great write up Hallalj#3. You forgot to mention Spencer who I thought did a great job as the lead up forward. There was 3 or 4 spectators today. My guess was that you were the one huddling under the tree!! Wet and freezing it was at times.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Anything else to add Tony, it is always nice to read the traning reports at this time of year?

How did Bruce go in the ruck?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Not really, Hallalj#3 has got it pretty right. A couple of boys he mentioned not being there were in the pool. Dead right about Stevens, looking very sharp. Acres has dropped a couple of kgs and is running better, as is Brodie.Thought Marksworth was good today and they played through him a bit. Schneids did fast laps.

Gershwin
Club Player

Did I miss that there was an open training session? I'm only in Melbourne for 3 weeks and desperately wanted to get down there. Is there another one next week?

summertime and the living is easy ........
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

very disappointed with the report on longer...really hope he turns it around

#1 Ryder fan
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Marking is Longer's great weakness. He played 16 games year and took 17 marks for a tall ruckman that is very poor. If Homes overtakes Longer then all the better, as it seems he is already a better mark, more mobile and a good tap ruckman! Holmes also seems very hungry for sucess...

Munga
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Marking is Longer's great weakness. He played 16 games year and took 17 marks for a tall ruckman that is very poor. If Homes overtakes Longer then all the better, as it seems he is already a better mark, more mobile and a good tap ruckman! Holmes also seems very hungry for sucess...
Get Holmes in, get him started at AFL level. He seems a quick learner and gifted in many areas.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Today was a bit of match simulation, which was by far the most interesting session I've seen so far this year, mainly because it gave me a better indication of how the Coaches see there team lining up.

For instance Bruce will be perhaps looking to be playing the relief ruckmen role as that's the role he was playing today.

Blake Acers was playing across HB and looks very comfortable there.

Billings was playing on ball which I think has come around earlier then the club anticipated which is a great thing.

Holmes looks to be coming along really nicely in the ruck took some nice grabs, not to sure what the club saw in Longer to be honest can't take a mark at this stage.

Steven moved very well and got the separation out of the centre bounce which we've become accustomed to.

Sinclair looked really good in close and has sweet sidestep.

Fisher will super important this year.

Roberton Looks fit and bigger this year I think last yr could've just been a one off.

Hugh Goddard was very good

Tom Lee looks fit and was involved a lot, very good when the ball was on the ground, but dropped a mark that I couldn't believe he dropped.

Savage very good off HB

Membrey provided a good focal point across HF

Mccartin took a strong grab and kicked a long goal.

Few absentees No Roo, No Geary, No Armo, still no Hickey sand no Lewis Pierce.
I noticed Billings was doing mid field drills last time too. He has a very Robert Harvey like quality where he doesn't move quick or have any obvious outstanding talent in any one area but just escapes with the ball and uses it well. He was in a group with regulars and seemed to be the guy who pulled the ball out the most. Goddard looked very competent last time too, he's a good competitor and very mobile for his size. Did Acres and Dustan still have the no contact vests on? Good to hear Steven is back. Lee looked sharp last time to. Paddy was getting into the right spots last time as well but struggled a bit with very close checking. Sinclair looked very at home last time as well. Good to hear he's keeping it up.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Marking is Longer's great weakness. He played 16 games year and took 17 marks for a tall ruckman that is very poor. If Homes overtakes Longer then all the better, as it seems he is already a better mark, more mobile and a good tap ruckman! Holmes also seems very hungry for sucess...
Get Holmes in, get him started at AFL level. He seems a quick learner and gifted in many areas.
Jeez can we all stop panicking. Everyone forgets that rucks take longer (excuse the pun) to develop. What is Longer 21? Rucks have huge long limbs everywhere that they struggle to keep coordinated until they get some really solid game muscle built up. Plus they have to jump and reach and wrestle and get smashed in the ruck all day which is damn tiring. Plus they have cover a lot of ground following the ball and helping out down back or up forward. Plus rucking is a complicated craft in itself with knowing where to be. It takes a while for all the pieces to come together. Longer carried a heavy load last year and never backed off from a contest. If he keep improving his fitness and strength then we'll start to see if he can pull down some marks when he's got a bit more spare energy and his coordination is better.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not saying Longer is a great or even good mark but rucks don't take a lot of marks in general.
For example Goldstein 2.2 per game, Naitanui 1.6, Minson 1.6, Mumford 2.2 it goes on. Unless they are good by foot players will look for another option. I'm really looking forward to Billings this year. With more size and poise his skills should come to the fore.
I'm glad the saints have come out and said they want to develop a winning feeling during the pre season as any win can become a point of reference for the coaches and players moving forward.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Not really, Hallalj#3 has got it pretty right. A couple of boys he mentioned not being there were in the pool. Dead right about Stevens, looking very sharp. Acres has dropped a couple of kgs and is running better, as is Brodie.Thought Marksworth was good today and they played through him a bit. Schneids did fast laps.
Geez Tony I love your work as always - but I'm hoping that was just a case of predictive text running riot with your post :wink:

At least Acres was right, not like Acers or Akers which I've seen in this thread. I can handle spelling and grammar issues, but players names really get to me for some reason. :?

By the way, loving the updates, I wish I didn't have to work - I'd be the first one down there.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
Munga wrote:
Jeez can we all stop panicking. Everyone forgets that rucks take longer (excuse the pun) to develop. What is Longer 21? Rucks have huge long limbs everywhere that they struggle to keep coordinated until they get some really solid game muscle built up. Plus they have to jump and reach and wrestle and get smashed in the ruck all day which is damn tiring. Plus they have cover a lot of ground following the ball and helping out down back or up forward. Plus rucking is a complicated craft in itself with knowing where to be. It takes a while for all the pieces to come together. Longer carried a heavy load last year and never backed off from a contest. If he keep improving his fitness and strength then we'll start to see if he can pull down some marks when he's got a bit more spare energy and his coordination is better.
This. Many of us breathed a sigh of relief when Rhys finally started clunking them last season (bygones ...)

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Did I miss that there was an open training session? I'm only in Melbourne for 3 weeks and desperately wanted to get down there. Is there another one next week?
there are certain days when there is a fair chance they can be seen by people taking a walk along the local tracks-

maybe PM Hallalj#3 who appears to be from down that way....

and tracking the posting of training vision - Monday, Wednesday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Monday, Wednesday, Friday out on the track for the next couple of weeks. And Gershwin if you turn up go to the office and tell them you're a member and on holidays from Scotland ( I'm presuming that both of those is correct) and I'd be surprised if someone didn't take you for a tour of the facilities. Training isn't really " closed" at the moment so feel free to come on down. Usually on the track between 10 and 12.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Did I miss that there was an open training session? I'm only in Melbourne for 3 weeks and desperately wanted to get down there. Is there another one next week?
and I'm assuming you may not be around for the 21st? there is an intraclub

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Vazelos
Club Player

In terms of rucks we have Hickey, Longer, Holmes & Lewis Pierce.
Who long term will make it in our next team to play finals?

Gershwin
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
and I'm assuming you may not be around for the 21st? there is an intraclub
Unfortunately I'm leaving on the 13th. Any idea if there is open training next week? I emailed the club but haven't had a reply yet.

Gershwin
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Monday, Wednesday, Friday out on the track for the next couple of weeks. And Gershwin if you turn up go to the office and tell them you're a member and on holidays from Scotland ( I'm presuming that both of those is correct) and I'd be surprised if someone didn't take you for a tour of the facilities. Training isn't really " closed" at the moment so feel free to come on down. Usually on the track between 10 and 12.
Just saw this. Thanks tony74 you are correct on all counts. Cheers.