Jack Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Billings

Positive story on Jack Billings in today's Herald Sun.

The young guy has certainly developed some guns over the Summer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 7234504082

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Billings

"The No.3 draft pick, already contracted for another three seasons, has stacked on about 6kg of muscle since joining the Saints 15 months ago."

I'm doing my bit for the club too, having put on 6kgs in the last 15 months.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

perfectionist wrote:"The No.3 draft pick, already contracted for another three seasons, has stacked on about 6kg of muscle since joining the Saints 15 months ago."

Well I've lost 8kgs inb the past 5 weeks, so you can thank me. Although I don't know who to blame for the 5kgs I found over Christmas - did anyone here lose them??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great photos. Love the one with the old St Kilda Beach Tram.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
perfectionist wrote:"The No.3 draft pick, already contracted for another three seasons, has stacked on about 6kg of muscle since joining the Saints 15 months ago."

Well I've lost 8kgs inb the past 5 weeks, so you can thank me. Although I don't know who to blame for the 5kgs I found over Christmas - did anyone here lose them??
yep maube..i'm down to 83 k's....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Great photos. Love the one with the old St Kilda Beach Tram.
I noticed that too. Someone at the club has their head screwed on with branding and marketing. It's a campaign of continual association with St.Kilda and the bay. Luna Park in the background too.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I liked the fact he has had a perfect attendance this pre season
Between Billings, Dunstan and McCartin we seem to have three outstanding people.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone else think McCartin looks like Goofy? Or has this been discussed?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The problem Billings and Dunstan will have this year is teams will put in quite a bit of work into them now they have put their head above the pack. They should be surrounded by a lot more older talented players and still flying under the radar. That can often lead to second year blues with increased expectations but battling hard tags and carrying niggly injuries that they haven't quite hardened up to.

After Rooey and Steven I reckon Billings might be the next player the oppo focus because a) he one of the few that can hurt them with creativity and good kicking and b) he's a future superstar so they will start building a dossier on him to unpack him and find out how to nullify his undoubted skills for the years ahead. That's why I hope people here don't put the boot into him if he's not necessarily setting the game on fire this year. It could actually be the best way for Billings to learn if he's getting marked hard. He'll have to learn to get his own ball which is something that always held Dal Santo back in big games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:The problem Billings and Dunstan will have this year is teams will put in quite a bit of work into them now they have put their head above the pack. They should be surrounded by a lot more older talented players and still flying under the radar. That can often lead to second year blues with increased expectations but battling hard tags and carrying niggly injuries that they haven't quite hardened up to.

After Rooey and Steven I reckon Billings might be the next player the oppo focus because a) he one of the few that can hurt them with creativity and good kicking and b) he's a future superstar so they will start building a dossier on him to unpack him and find out how to nullify his undoubted skills for the years ahead. That's why I hope people here don't put the boot into him if he's not necessarily setting the game on fire this year. It could actually be the best way for Billings to learn if he's getting marked hard. He'll have to learn to get his own ball which is something that always held Dal Santo back in big games.

A real myth about Dal.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with Plugger. Dal was an outside player but he always won his own ball when needed. He just made it look easy which gave the perception he was always the receiver.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree. Dal was as hard as any when the sh*t was hitting the fan. Sometimes he cruised a bit when the team was well in front but if you go back and watch our hard fought and fierce finals - he was right in the coal face when we needed him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to agree. Dal was as hard as any when the sh*t was hitting the fan. Sometimes he cruised a bit when the team was well in front but if you go back and watch our hard fought and fierce finals - he was right in the coal face when we needed him.
I have no doubt he tried hard but Dal always lacked the mongrel needed for an inside game to add to his exquisite disposal skills to really make him elite in the Judd/Hodge mould. In prelims and grand finals I saw him as good without being great and not rising to the occasion the way Goddard and Hayes did. Those big, crowded games where there isn't an inch of space, it goes back to basics - man on man and contested ball all over the park which is just not his strength. The oppo were able to cut his outside supply off and stop him where he is most dangerous - with the ball in his hands. Dal is just a bit too nice to be one the greats he could have been with a bit more arrogance and aggression.

I see Richo pushing Billings into the midfield this year where he will be forced to scrap for his own ball because without Lenny we don't have a lot of ball winning in and under extractors. I think it will actually help his development even though he may seem to be plateauing because he's not racking up the possessions or goals like last year. But in the long run it will make him more of a complete player.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:The problem Billings and Dunstan will have this year is teams will put in quite a bit of work into them now they have put their head above the pack. They should be surrounded by a lot more older talented players and still flying under the radar. That can often lead to second year blues with increased expectations but battling hard tags and carrying niggly injuries that they haven't quite hardened up to.

A real myth about Dal.
Which one the outside/inside bit or the big games bit?

One was a myth, the other hard to disprove

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to agree. Dal was as hard as any when the sh*t was hitting the fan. Sometimes he cruised a bit when the team was well in front but if you go back and watch our hard fought and fierce finals - he was right in the coal face when we needed him.
I have no doubt he tried hard but Dal always lacked the mongrel needed for an inside game to add to his exquisite disposal skills to really make him elite in the Judd/Hodge mould. In prelims and grand finals I saw him as good without being great and not rising to the occasion the way Goddard and Hayes did. Those big, crowded games where there isn't an inch of space, it goes back to basics - man on man and contested ball all over the park which is just not his strength. The oppo were able to cut his outside supply off and stop him where he is most dangerous - with the ball in his hands. Dal is just a bit too nice to be one the greats he could have been with a bit more arrogance and aggression.

I see Richo pushing Billings into the midfield this year where he will be forced to scrap for his own ball because without Lenny we don't have a lot of ball winning in and under extractors. I think it will actually help his development even though he may seem to be plateauing because he's not racking up the possessions or goals like last year. But in the long run it will make him more of a complete player.

Dal got a better percentage of inside ball when we were no good. That suggests he definitely had no problem getting his own ball. The problem was when we were no good he got less outside ball. If you were predominately an outside player surely your inside stats would drop off when the side struggles. And the main issue with Dal in big games is he was first tagged and usually the better sides had the better taggers.

Anyway on Billings well I don't think he is ever going to be a real inside mid so he just needs to learn to get the outside ball when tagged. And I totally disagree with you saying we don't have extractors now that Lenny is gone. That is our problem with the mids. Jack does not need to be an inside mid. We have Steven, Armo, Weller, Ross and Dunstan to do that job.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Anyway on Billings well I don't think he is ever going to be a real inside mid so he just needs to learn to get the outside ball when tagged. And I totally disagree with you saying we don't have extractors now that Lenny is gone. That is our problem with the mids. Jack does not need to be an inside mid. We have Steven, Armo, Weller, Ross and Dunstan to do that job.
I think Billings will be tried as a mid - he's bulking up. What if he turns out Akermanis like - silky, creative onballer who can push forward to kick inspiring goals? Imagine him racking up 35 possession games with his disposal skills and creativity - sliding out of the centre and shoving the ball down McCartin and White's throat - deadly! Everyone says the midfield is where premierships are won so why wouldn't you have your best player there if he can cut the mustard? Imagine Billings, Dunstan, Steven, Armo and our next two years top two picks gun midfielders as our starting midfield. Not bad hey Pluggsy? Starting to salivate a bit cos I am.

One of the weaknesses with our last premiership assault was that we were a bit too predictable. In modern footy variety, complexity and able to change up positons, tactics and game plans is really important. The rich clubs have employees dedicated to unpacking the opposition 50 hours a week. If a player is one dimensional they will work out how to stop them. Hawthorn are becoming the master of constant change and making teams reactive to them and creating confusion. If we want to be unstoppable on grand final day then our players have to be multi-faceted not insider player OR outside players but elements of both.

In terms of current extractors I think we have a huge glut of unproven players in that department. Armo started brilliantly last year before injury so I think he can go to another level with Lenny gone and become the general of the hard ball get but we need to wait and see. Dunstan is a second year player and shouldn't be carrying a lot on his shoulders. Weller has the bulk and did a good job of negating last year but does he have the footy smarts to be a good pack player. Curran did well as a tagger but can he create and set up. Its not just about getting your hands on the ball. Its about if you can get to a lot of contests, do you have the quick hands and mind to dish it off to effect, can you read the play to get in position or cut off escape routes for the oppo, do you have that poise to make quick decisions in millisecond?. Midfielders are a rare mix of endurance, footy smarts, good disposal, bravery, determination and poise. We need to sort of lot wheat from the chaff in that department

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Anyway on Billings well I don't think he is ever going to be a real inside mid so he just needs to learn to get the outside ball when tagged. And I totally disagree with you saying we don't have extractors now that Lenny is gone. That is our problem with the mids. Jack does not need to be an inside mid. We have Steven, Armo, Weller, Ross and Dunstan to do that job.
I think Billings will be tried as a mid - he's bulking up. What if he turns out Akermanis like - silky, creative onballer who can push forward to kick inspiring goals? Imagine him racking up 35 possession games with his disposal skills and creativity - sliding out of the centre and shoving the ball down McCartin and White's throat - deadly! Everyone says the midfield is where premierships are won so why wouldn't you have your best player there if he can cut the mustard? Imagine Billings, Dunstan, Steven, Armo and our next two years top two picks gun midfielders as our starting midfield. Not bad hey Pluggsy? Starting to salivate a bit cos I am.

One of the weaknesses with our last premiership assault was that we were a bit too predictable. In modern footy variety, complexity and able to change up positons, tactics and game plans is really important. The rich clubs have employees dedicated to unpacking the opposition 50 hours a week. If a player is one dimensional they will work out how to stop them. Hawthorn are becoming the master of constant change and making teams reactive to them and creating confusion. If we want to be unstoppable on grand final day then our players have to be multi-faceted not insider player OR outside players but elements of both.

In terms of current extractors I think we have a huge glut of unproven players in that department. Armo started brilliantly last year before injury so I think he can go to another level with Lenny gone and become the general of the hard ball get but we need to wait and see. Dunstan is a second year player and shouldn't be carrying a lot on his shoulders. Weller has the bulk and did a good job of negating last year but does he have the footy smarts to be a good pack player. Curran did well as a tagger but can he create and set up. Its not just about getting your hands on the ball. Its about if you can get to a lot of contests, do you have the quick hands and mind to dish it off to effect, can you read the play to get in position or cut off escape routes for the oppo, do you have that poise to make quick decisions in millisecond?. Midfielders are a rare mix of endurance, footy smarts, good disposal, bravery, determination and poise. We need to sort of lot wheat from the chaff in that department
Im sure he will be tried as a mid but it will be as an outside running mid. There is nothing wrong with those players. The worst thing we could do is to try and turn him into something he isn't. Our biggest problem was our lack of depth IMO when we last had a shot at the flag. Yep we were predictable but every great club is. We need Billings to become a star outside mid not an ordinary inside mid. Steven is a very good inside outside mid and then as you suggested we have Armo and eventually Dunstan and then maybe a Weller or Ross will become good players.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

No change in my view of where Jack No 3 is headed - he'll be in the elite of the AFL by the time he's 21. Everything about him says elite - 18 months of physical restrictions leading into his 1st year at AFL, yet plays 16 games, generally holds his own and has a couple of outstanding games, in 16 in his 1st year. The No 2 draft pick, Kelly, without the physical impediments, struggled way more than Jack 3. He's smart, personable, and has an innate feel for the sport. In U-18 football, both years, he displayed a flair that is rare (that rhymes!!).

The kid will be a giant of the competition, and it will happen a lot faster than people think possible.

In this day and age, a young, skinny 1st year player is not entitled to play a game where he has 25 possessions, at 100% disposal efficiency (never been done before at any age), and kick 3 goals.

Bullish, oh so very bullish.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:No change in my view of where Jack No 3 is headed - he'll be in the elite of the AFL by the time he's 21. Everything about him says elite - 18 months of physical restrictions leading into his 1st year at AFL, yet plays 16 games, generally holds his own and has a couple of outstanding games, in 16 in his 1st year. The No 2 draft pick, Kelly, without the physical impediments, struggled way more than Jack 3. He's smart, personable, and has an innate feel for the sport. In U-18 football, both years, he displayed a flair that is rare (that rhymes!!).

The kid will be a giant of the competition, and it will happen a lot faster than people think possible.

In this day and age, a young, skinny 1st year player is not entitled to play a game where he has 25 possessions, at 100% disposal efficiency (never been done before at any age), and kick 3 goals.

But where do you think he will end up playing Thommo? Do you have any idea what his endurance is like because I think that the key. If he's more explosive than an endurance beast then I think he'll end up the mercurial half forward with bursts as an impact player on the ball ala Rioli. But if he can run all day then it make sense for him to be an onballer and let him rack up the possessions, use his quality disposal and creativity all over the ground and link up play from the back to the forwards. Plus then with his innate goal scoring sense he would then be the goal scoring midfielder we desperately need to take the pressure off our forwards and become a multifaceted scoring team. We've got Saad, Lonie, Templeton, Membry, Minchington, maybe McKenzie or some future draftee or rookie to try and fill those small forwards spots if Billings is best suited to onball. Will be an interesting year for the young lad.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:No change in my view of where Jack No 3 is headed - he'll be in the elite of the AFL by the time he's 21. Everything about him says elite - 18 months of physical restrictions leading into his 1st year at AFL, yet plays 16 games, generally holds his own and has a couple of outstanding games, in 16 in his 1st year. The No 2 draft pick, Kelly, without the physical impediments, struggled way more than Jack 3. He's smart, personable, and has an innate feel for the sport. In U-18 football, both years, he displayed a flair that is rare (that rhymes!!).

But where do you think he will end up playing Thommo? Do you have any idea what his endurance is like because I think that the key. If he's more explosive than an endurance beast then I think he'll end up the mercurial half forward with bursts as an impact player on the ball ala Rioli. But if he can run all day then it make sense for him to be an onballer and let him rack up the possessions, use his quality disposal and creativity all over the ground and link up play from the back to the forwards. Plus then with his innate goal scoring sense he would then be the goal scoring midfielder we desperately need to take the pressure off our forwards and become a multifaceted scoring team. We've got Saad, Lonie, Templeton, Membry, Minchington, maybe McKenzie or some future draftee or rookie to try and fill those small forwards spots if Billings is best suited to onball. Will be an interesting year for the young lad.
I believe he'll end up as a bona fide midfielder. All the talk of his underage football said he 's a good mark for his size. Hopefully that means he'll be able to push forward and be dangerous. Primarily though I think he'll be our new Dal Santo. Silky smooth and a great user of the ball.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I believe he'll end up as a bona fide midfielder. All the talk of his underage football said he 's a good mark for his size. Hopefully that means he'll be able to push forward and be dangerous. Primarily though I think he'll be our new Dal Santo. Silky smooth and a great user of the ball.
But Dal played midfield and predominately back. Jack.B would be a lot better in the midfield and pushing forward.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Bluthy wrote: After Rooey and Steven I reckon Billings might be the next player the oppo focus
think he'll still be behind dunstan, newnes, ross, monty, armo

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:
Bluthy wrote: After Rooey and Steven I reckon Billings might be the next player the oppo focus
think he'll still be behind dunstan, newnes, ross, monty, armo

Of course he is. No matter how we think Billings will end up and I think he will be at least a very good player, sides aren't going to worry to much about him this year. To be honest apart from Jack S and key forwards they aren't going to worry about many players. Of course they all be discussed but tags wont be applied unless someone improves dramatically.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Agree with Plugger. Dal was an outside player but he always won his own ball when needed. He just made it look easy which gave the perception he was always the receiver.
Dal is a magician first footballer second. His exquisite skills made time slow down when he got near the ball.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
tony74 wrote:Agree with Plugger. Dal was an outside player but he always won his own ball when needed. He just made it look easy which gave the perception he was always the receiver.
Dal is a magician first footballer second. His exquisite skills made time slow down when he got near the ball.

What does that even mean?

Dal Santo was a footballer with a tremendous amount of skill. he was not a magician FGS :roll:

Really where you get your opinions from is a really bizarre place.

You are garbage - Enough said