Goddard move- article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Goddard move- article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 7249896110
BRENDON Goddard has shed new light on his departure from St Kilda, saying he originally “begged” the club to keep him with a “deal that was fair”.

The Saints were under enormous salary cap pressure in 2012 when Goddard accepted a four-year deal to cross to Essendon as one of footy’s first free agents.

and
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 7249854020

Robbo talking to only story he can print during' suspensions'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard move- article

Nothing new here

Goddard didn't get a 'fair' deal like he did Essendon where some reports suggest he earns more than Watson.

He struggled in his last 2 years with us getting tagged like a champ but wanted more than Riewoldt

Enjoy the move

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Isn't he on 3.2mill over 4yrs? Considering where our cap was at there's no way we could match (or come close to) that.

suss
Club Player

We could've back ended the contract and kept him. We're miles under the cap now for example.

It didn't suit us to keep him and have him help us win more games. We wanted to drift to the bottom of the ladder and the and we wanted the compo for losing him to FA.

We knuckled this one unfortunately and now have to watch him play out his career with a bunch of drug cheats.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

A footy club should never push its champions out the door in their prime. Terrible decision making and management by those in charge at the time.

PJ
SS Life Member

Seriously...who cares? Good player, yes. Champion of the club...don't think so. Pardon me if I don't include him in the same breath as Robert Harvey.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:We could've back ended the contract and kept him. We're miles under the cap now for example.

It didn't suit us to keep him and have him help us win more games. We wanted to drift to the bottom of the ladder and the and we wanted the compo for losing him to FA.

We knuckled this one unfortunately and now have to watch him play out his career with a bunch of drug cheats.
If we back ended him then several other players would've possibly wanted the same. Would that have been an issue? Or simply was the club fed up with his attitude?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:A footy club should never push its champions out the door in their prime. Terrible decision making and management by those in charge at the time.
Did we really push him out? He wanted 3 million over 4 years. He had 2 pretty ordinary years. he didn't deserve what he wanted. If anyone was nearly pushed out it was Dal. BJ left because he basically wanted too.And to be honest we win maybe 2 or 3 more games over a 2 year period. Still finish close to the bottom in both years. Not glad he is gone but it was a very good decision.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen wanted him gone.

Then Pelchen pulls up stumps.

Stupidness, poorly handled.

People hate BJ cause they can't stomach watching the lost grand finals, erased from minds, else they'd never have been ok with his leaving.

spert
Saintsational Legend

In his last season with us, I thought he played a very selfish brand of footy, clearly in self-preservation mode knowing the money was in the bag. Probably fits the selfish egotistical Essendon culture better- I guess he can count his money while he watches us move back up the ladder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pelchen wanted him gone.

Then Pelchen pulls up stumps.

Stupidness, poorly handled.

People hate BJ cause they can't stomach watching the lost grand finals, erased from minds, else they'd never have been ok with his leaving.

BJ wanted to much money so Pelchen looked for a way out. He did the right thing by the club and I have never been a fan of Pelchen. This one wasn't a mistake though. And I don't hate BJ. If I had a choice of talking to BJ or Pelchen it would be BJ every time. The move suited both parties.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
And all this time I thought I disliked him because he did bugger all in his last two years and just chased the money to Essendon.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
SainterK wrote:
And all this time I thought I disliked him because he did bugger all in his last two years and just chased the money to Essendon.
Glad I could clear it up for you...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If rumours are correct we low balled him essentially pushing him out the door and he would've taken less to stay as long as we gave him four years. The Bombers contract offer was crazy money for him though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:If rumours are correct we low balled him essentially pushing him out the door and he would've taken less to stay as long as we gave him four years. The Bombers contract offer was crazy money for him though.

My source suggests he wanted out and that is why he asked for so much money.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

More interested in Hugh Goddard to be honest.

The other one is an Essendon player isn't he?

Left his mates for more coin, just like Ball. Live with it and don't make excuses.

Most would have done the same thing.

You are garbage - Enough said
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:If rumours are correct we low balled him essentially pushing him out the door and he would've taken less to stay as long as we gave him four years. The Bombers contract offer was crazy money for him though.
Yes, was about the length of contract, more than the cash.

A journo told me Pelchen refused to sit down with the BJ camp and even talk about 3 years and a fourth with terms.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It annoyed me that we were under this 'immense salary cap pressure' but we didn't offload the flawed/more easily replaceable players before BJ. Gram was a great player up until 2009 and a liability from that point on. The same goes for Gilbert until 2010. Jones had no value from 2009 onwards. Schneider has been a great clubman but if he's been on more than 300k since 2010 he's been massively overpaid. My point is that there are plenty who should have been squeezed out before Goddard. If we were going to receive a top 5 pick in compensation I could cop the decision, but ultimately we just didn't get enough in return.

I know it's a pointless exercise (yes trading/drafting would have been different in subsequent years), but here's how things could have panned out if we had have just been totally inactive in the FA/trade period of 2012.

Through trading we received: Tom Hickey, Tom Lee, Pick 25 (Spencer White), Pick 46 (Trent Dennis-Lane), Pick 24 (Nathan Wright), Pick 43 (Josh Saunders)

We lost: Brendon Goddard (Pick 13), Pick 12 (Kristian Jaksch), Pick 36 (Tanner Smith), Pick 55 (Tim Sumner)

Here's how our best 2015 team could look without the 2012 FA/trades

B: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
HB: Savage, Jaksch, Fisher
C: Goddard, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Montagna, Riewoldt, Billings
F: Saad, McCartin, Membrey

Foll: Longer, Steven, Dunstan
Int: Weller, Gilbert, Acres, Templeton (sub)

Honestly it looks a lot better to me and we wouldn't have the problem of having too many expensive rucks and tall forwards on the list to fit into one team. Honestly Lee does seem surplus to requirements right now unless he can put some distance between himself and Bruce/Membrey. Hickey is our best ruckman when fit but he's rarely fit and I think all of Longer, Holmes and Pierce have the ability to forge solid AFL careers. White and Wright are potentially the two who could give us some real value from those trades but we need White to build his tank and Wright to stay on the park. Having Goddard in the side wouldn't mean that we keep finishing 9th and our development stalls. He'd help make us more competitive and would be an experienced senior body to help protect the kids and provide leadership.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MSG that is fantasyland stuff. How do you know where we finish with the players we did and didn't get. If you say the team would have been better then how do we get McCartin and probably Acres? Still finishes last this season anyway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You forget MSG, that Pelchen gave guys like Polo, Peake and Clarke extra years...all of them playing until end of 2012.

He had an obsession with 2 years for guys not going anywhere.

I'm not an accountant, but the books looked off to me.

I'd have made it work personally.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:You forget MSG, that Pelchen gave guys like Polo, Peake and Clarke extra years...all of them playing until end of 2012.

He had an obsession with 2 years for guys not going anywhere.

I'm not an accountant, but the books looked off to me.

I'd have made it work personally.
Pelchen had a stinker that year trading out BJ, bringing in Hickey and Lee (both can't stay on the park) which involved giving up a decent draft position and extending the contracts of the guys you mentioned. The draft from that year at this point looks poor as well with White inconsistent and only given a one year contract last year (says a lot really) and Wright and Murdoch injury prone.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Yes, was about the length of contract, more than the cash.

A journo told me Pelchen refused to sit down with the BJ camp and even talk about 3 years and a fourth with terms.
Who knows mate, lots of rumours around trades. I don't reckon his team mates and even coaching team would know the full story. There's always two sides.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

You have to wonder what $$$ he would have stayed for? It is appears that Brendan and his manager over rated his worth to the team. I also think at the time he had major issues with Watters as coach which for was understandable, but this contributed to him wanting to go!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To those who think BJ should have stayed I will ask you just one question. How does it help us now? By the way I want Lockett and Stewart to stay too. And I don't want Brian Wilson or Rene Kink. What does this all have in common. Its in the past and it cant be changed.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:To those who think BJ should have stayed I will ask you just one question. How does it help us now? By the way I want Lockett and Stewart to stay too. And I don't want Brian Wilson or Rene Kink. What does this all have in common. Its in the past and it cant be changed.
We can still chat about it...