Re-Worded!!!! - List strategy for next 3 years.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

Re-Worded!!!! - List strategy for next 3 years.....

The following 9 players need to be replaced over the next 3 drafts......
Arryn Siposs,Tom Lee, Daniel Markworth, Leigh Montagna, Nick Riewoldt, Sam Gilbert, Farren Ray, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher

We will probably have 3 top 10 picks over the next 3 years. So the question is, how do we trade up to grab another 3 in the top 10 (over the next 3 years) and also 3 more picks under pick 25? Ideally I would want the following added to the current list below (at a minimum)...Picks 1,15 and 20 from 2015's draft. Picks 5, 25 and 30 in 2016's draft. Picks 10, 15 and 25 in 2017's draft.

Will Lewis Pierce improve enough to gain us a pick in the top 20 in 3 years time? What about Armo? If Richmond come again and offer pick 15 should we take it? The obvious one is Steven. If he walks we will get pick 2.

THE LIST BELOW ARE ALL REQUIRED PLAYERS.The question I was trying to ask was which players from the list below can we afford to trade out to improve our draft position over the next 3 years? The reason why I ask this is if we just go to the draft each year without trading I don't believe we have any hope of overtaking GCS and GWS. Especially GWS who are already looking scary.
Tom Hickey
Jack Steven
Eli Templeton
Shane Savage
Sebastian Ross
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres
Jarryn Geary
Jack Billings
Jack Newnes
Dylan Roberton
Billy Longer
David Armitage
Luke Delaney
Spencer White
Tom Curren
Josh Bruce
Tim Membrey
Jimmy Webster
Brodie Murdoch
Tom Simpkin
Paddy McCartin
Hugh Goddard
Nathan Wright
Josh Saunders
Daniel McKenzie
Jack Lonie
Cameron Shenton
Darren Minchington
Lewis Pierce
Maverick Weller
Last edited by citywest on Mon 09 Mar 2015 11:07am, edited 3 times in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: List strategy for next 3 years.....

Another good thread.

Billings & Mcartin would improve our draft position, let's cash them in before they become superstars.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Can't tell if a troll job or dumb as a post

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OK ok. Now I am pretty sure citywest is having a lend.
Lonie Goddard and McCartin on that list is a dead give away that this is in fact a piss take.
They only walked in the door 5 minutes ago.

I actually dont think we have anyone tradeable anymore.

Here is a list of 'possible' trades and then a reality check.

Jack Steven - clearly other clubs would want him but we need to keep him. Our best player under 30 by a country mile. No advantage in a trade.
Gilbo - Probably doesnt have any currency left
Armo - Might get us a trade but he wouldn't get paid anywhere near as much at another club as he does with us so he wouldn't leave anyway.
Geary - See Armo.
A ruckman - we might have a 'spare ruckman' in the next few years. But we might not.

Thats pretty much it AFAICS.
Everyone else on the list is either young (keep), sh*t (no trade value) or old (no trade value).

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Surely Holmes value must have gone through the roof after his goal on the weekend. We should see if we can get a top five pick for him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Well you've got to admit CW is persistent and consistent. Give Tony And Ameet a call. I'm sure they'll immediately recognise your genius and give you a job.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
howlinwolf
Club Player

If by some miracle there is a visionary that has these answers to the future could they spare the time to also send me next week's lotto numbers ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Can't tell if a troll job or dumb as a post
I'd suggest both.

felix
Club Player

Who will win the Saints vs Blues Anzac Day clash oracle ? If Melbourne offered us pick two for Roo we should take it .

felix
Club Player

Who will win the Saints vs Blues Anzac Day clash oracle ? If Melbourne offered us pick two for Roo we should take it .

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Well you've got to admit CW is persistent and consistent. Give Tony And Ameet a call. I'm sure they'll immediately recognise your genius and give you a job.
CityWest is right.

We need to offload anyone under 21 who will give is a top 20 pick.

Easy!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets trade the whole club because its unlikely we will win a flag in the next 10 years. Of course this guy follows the saints and I want Sri Lanka to win tonight.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'm going to bite here

CW, can you please provide details to me of what your actual idea here is?

I understand a logic of trading guys like Goddard, Dal, I think you've argued Roo b4 which though I don't agree with, for trade picks whilst turning the list over.

Now you seem to be advocating to trade young players that we've got for low draft picks for more low draft picks????

Throw me a bone here please

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We should look at what Essendon do and desperately grab any ex saints players that come up to try to cover for the embarrassing fools running the club. If we sack our players and redraft them we should be better than Essendon. I love solid logic. Drugs could work too, I wonder if we put donkey sperm in our kids hammies there won't be a lessened amount of strains.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We should look at what Essendon do and desperately grab any ex saints players that come up to try to cover for the embarrassing fools running the club. If we sack our players and redraft them we should be better than Essendon. I love solid logic. Drugs could work too, I wonder if we put donkey sperm in our kids hammies there won't be a lessened amount of strains.

Citywest could provide both. List advice and donkey semen.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Another reason so many dont post here anymore.

When this obvious troll can continue to spout his ignorant crap over and over and over again.

This person has been banned here and bigfooty numerous times.

A blight and a cancer on this forum.

Look at the replies above. everyone can recognise a trolling thread.

All except the mods I take it.

This is the same supposed Saints fan who stated as Nexus Helen on bigfooty that we needed to completely rebuild after the 2008 season.

the guy is a troll and just wants to wreck this forum

You are garbage - Enough said
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

If McCartnin is the next Dunstal and Membrey the new G train and Spencer the new Buddy and Bruce the new Stewie Lowe they all won't fit in the forward together so we will be able to trade one of them for a higher draft pick ...there you go......I got ya.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I know I'm probably feeding a deliberately trolling post but it seems the cupboard is pretty with tradable options after how much we have done. I don't think Armo or Steven are going anywhere - with the top end experience leaving we need them badly to stay competitive. I don't think Geary is skilful enough to attract a lot of interest. The only thing I do wonder about is if Hickey is played all year as our no. 1 ruck and we use Bruce or Lee as relief, then will Longer be happy to play in the 2's all year? Didn't he leave Brisbane because he wasn't satisfied being behind Leuenberger in the picking order? If there is a team desperate for a tap ruck, even just as backup, it would be interesting what sort of offer they made particularly with Holmes and Pierce impressing with their development.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Persoanlly I dont agree with the strategy of the OP however it is his opinion.

Answered by many rationally and reasonably here.

In summary - we have only 1 or 2 players of real trade value and we need to keep them.

We shall get 3 great picks in the next 3 years and 3 low to mid 20s picks + / or trades using pics

And we shall get some 25-28 year olds via free agency - some super stars and some for positional depth

That will get us into apostion in 3 years time where our core list will be 22 to 28 years of age with some top end 18 -21 year olds coming through.

From there on in our drafting should be:

- keep 1st round and pick best available
- trade 2nd round (for needs)
- with 3rd round pick a bottom aged kid that has shown real catch up potential e.g. Jack Stevens
- keep churning over rookies

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't BFUSA,

This post does have an antagonistic feel about it

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Let's just nuke the guy.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep, troll.

What is the point of following a club if you trade away any players who are any good?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Persoanlly I dont agree with the strategy of the OP however it is his opinion.

Answered by many rationally and reasonably here.

In summary - we have only 1 or 2 players of real trade value and we need to keep them.

We shall get 3 great picks in the next 3 years and 3 low to mid 20s picks + / or trades using pics

And we shall get some 25-28 year olds via free agency - some super stars and some for positional depth

That will get us into apostion in 3 years time where our core list will be 22 to 28 years of age with some top end 18 -21 year olds coming through.

From there on in our drafting should be:

- keep 1st round and pick best available
- trade 2nd round (for needs)
- with 3rd round pick a bottom aged kid that has shown real catch up potential e.g. Jack Stevens
- keep churning over rookies
I actually think with the way our injuries are mounting - and with the possibility of Roo taking extended leave - that we may well struggle to win a game this year - if that happens we might end up getting pick one and a priority pick next year. With these injuries I can see us having a year like 2001 or 1986.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I know I'm probably feeding a deliberately trolling post but it seems the cupboard is pretty with tradable options after how much we have done. I don't think Armo or Steven are going anywhere - with the top end experience leaving we need them badly to stay competitive. I don't think Geary is skilful enough to attract a lot of interest. The only thing I do wonder about is if Hickey is played all year as our no. 1 ruck and we use Bruce or Lee as relief, then will Longer be happy to play in the 2's all year? Didn't he leave Brisbane because he wasn't satisfied being behind Leuenberger in the picking order? If there is a team desperate for a tap ruck, even just as backup, it would be interesting what sort of offer they made particularly with Holmes and Pierce impressing with their development.
Longer played almost every game last year. No more gift games. He needs to earn them.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

How many times can this cretin get away with starting deliberately inflammatory posts?

If the argument was fair and balanced, then fair enough, but once again...preposterous rules the day.

It's always the same - trade out our best players or playing 7 games in NZ...blah blah blah... :roll: