Etihad roof to remain open on sunny days

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Etihad roof to remain open on sunny days

I think Mark Evans has drunk too much AFL bathwater.

Anyone with any clue knows the roof should be shut on sunny days. Sure, keep it open for a cloudy day game, but when the sun is out, shut the God damn roof Mavis!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Etihad roof to remain open on sunny days

I know it depends where you're sitting but I don't mind it.

The ground should have been built from west to east. It really is a cheaply made stadium.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigballs
Club Player

The way I see it, the AFL only have 2 alternatives to stop all this talk about whether the roof should be open or not.

1 - Re-configure the ground to face west to east instead of east to west......or
2 - Shut the bloody roof.

To be honest, I like it when the roof is open on sunny days, but we have to think about the players and umpires. If they can't see what is going on because of the glare, then the obvious thing to do would be to shut the roof.

I know what I'd do.....it's not that hard to work out. :roll:

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Rather than worry about what should have been built, maybe they should worry about what actually has been built?

The ground has been built the wrong way around, so therefore the roof has to remain shut!

It is pretty simple really, but for reason simple logic just doesn't seem to apply ever with this?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Last time I checked, Australian Rules Football was an outdoor game.

The roof should be open all of the time. Night, day, sunshine, rain, everything....

Yes, players might look into the sun. But guess what, in about 30 minutes time, the siren goes and you get to stand at the other end. No different to a strong wind, the reason we kick different directions in different quarters. And yes, sometimes the conditions change during a game. but that's been the case for 150 years.

We've all become a bit precious.....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:The way I see it, the AFL only have 2 alternatives to stop all this talk about whether the roof should be open or not.

1 - Re-configure the ground to face west to east instead of east to west......or

To be honest, I like it when the roof is open on sunny days, but we have to think about the players and umpires. If they can't see what is going on because of the glare, then the obvious thing to do would be to shut the roof.

The ground is built from north west to south east or that's what direction the goals are.

The problem with building it from west to east is that it would have probably been more expensive. The ground does not fit longways into that corner pocket of Docklands as it is right up against the road already and Wurundjeri Way would have had to have been built over the rail lines, I think.

In an ideal world the ground should have been built like the G, west to east. But that would have been an alternative universe and the ground would have been called TAA Stadium. The goal ends would have been called the Warrick Capper and Mark Jackson ends and we would have won flags in 1965, 1971, 1991, 1997, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010.

PS. Always try and buy a house on a street running from west to east with a north facing backyard.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
barneyboyz
Club Player

St Chris wrote:Last time I checked, Australian Rules Football was an outdoor game.

The roof should be open all of the time. Night, day, sunshine, rain, everything....

Yes, players might look into the sun. But guess what, in about 30 minutes time, the siren goes and you get to stand at the other end. No different to a strong wind, the reason we kick different directions in different quarters. And yes, sometimes the conditions change during a game. but that's been the case for 150 years.

:D

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Last time I checked, Australian Rules Football was an outdoor game.

Are you one of the keep the rules the same mob?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigballs
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
bigballs wrote:The way I see it, the AFL only have 2 alternatives to stop all this talk about whether the roof should be open or not.

The ground is built from north west to south east or that's what direction the goals are.

The problem with building it from west to east is that it would have probably been more expensive. The ground does not fit longways into that corner pocket of Docklands as it is right up against the road already and Wurundjeri Way would have had to have been built over the rail lines, I think.

In an ideal world the ground should have been built like the G, west to east. But that would have been an alternative universe and the ground would have been called TAA Stadium. The goal ends would have been called the Warrick Capper and Mark Jackson ends and we would have won flags in 1965, 1971, 1991, 1997, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010.

PS. Always try and buy a house on a street running from west to east with a north facing backyard.
Regardless of which way they should have built it, the arena has a roof on it, so they may as well use it on sunny days when the glare is too bad. Any other time, by all means leave it open.

I always thought they should leave it open at night when it is stll warm outside, but they don't.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Perhaps the players association should get involved and make it a Work Health & Safety issue. Someone is going to get seriously hurt playing in those blinding conditions, he policy is ridiculous!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Thanks God we don't have any afternoon games at Etihad this year.

Oh hang on, we have 10.

It's an outdoor game, why be so precious?

Obviously most of you have never watched footy at Subiaco Oval, those sitting at the city end of the ground are looking into the sun all afternoon, players have no probs adapting there, nor do supporters.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:It's an outdoor game, why be so precious?

Obviously most of you have never watched footy at Subiaco Oval, those sitting at the city end of the ground are looking into the sun all afternoon, players have no probs adapting there, nor do supporters.
Does Subi have a roof?

Remember it's a TV game also. They prefer the roof shut for better pics.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:

Are you one of the keep the rules the same mob?
Not especially, but far more that way than the "Every time Brad Scott whinges, we jump" mob.......that mob would be seriously good at jumping :D

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

the solution is simple .
Get 200 metre's of shade cloth on a big roll .
Hook up a simple pulley system .
Then roll it out on sunny days .
Bunnings , Masters or Mitre 10 could sponsor and supply so it wouldn't cost the Afl nothing !

In red white and black from 73
lefty
Club Player

Meh, football is an outdoor game, leave the roof open or use a shade cloth as stated above.

All this indoor stuff is nonsense.
So what if the sun gets in your eyes, are you going to complain about that at the MCG as well?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
loris wrote:It's an outdoor game, why be so precious?

Does Subi have a roof?

Remember it's a TV game also. They prefer the roof shut for better pics.
I seriously thought I was looking at one of those ultra wide screen movies the other day when the daylight section of the screen completely obliterated the other parts of the screen in the wide shots. It was totally black at the top & bottom of the screen and you couldn't see any players even though afterwards you could see they were there.

I love nice sunny days but the way the ground has been built and the fact that the roof is creating what is basically an opening on top of a building does not make it easy for the players or spectators to see either there or on the telly.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Obviously there are many responses on this thread from people who:

(a) Never go to Etihad; or
(b) Sit on the Docklands side of the ground.

If Etihad management and the AFL continue with the ridiculous practice of opening the roof "on sunny days" they are cynical and insincere with the much-hyped claim that they are wanting to "improve the match-day experience". The best match day experience is being able to actually WATCH the match - something you cannot do in any comfort if you have seats on the Southern Cross Station wing and pocket with the bloody roof open!

If the AFL / Etihad continue with this ridiculous practice I will be seeking to off-load my reserved seats. If you don't believe it is "that bad" try it for yourself before whacking people with opinions differing from your own.

Saint supporter since '62
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Obviously there are many responses on this thread from people who:

(a) Never go to Etihad; or
(b) Sit on the Docklands side of the ground.

If Etihad management and the AFL continue with the ridiculous practice of opening the roof "on sunny days" they are cynical and insincere with the much-hyped claim that they are wanting to "improve the match-day experience". The best match day experience is being able to actually WATCH the match - something you cannot do in any comfort if you have seats on the Southern Cross Station wing and pocket with the bloody roof open!

If the AFL / Etihad continue with this ridiculous practice I will be seeking to off-load my reserved seats. If you don't believe it is "that bad" try it for yourself before whacking people with opinions differing from your own.
We often sit on that side and the sun is right in your eyes. It is ridiculous as I was sure they had already sorted all this out last year and were just shutting the roof for all matches.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintmat

Nooooo! They've got it the wrong way 'round! Shut the roof when it's sunny and open it when it's raining! We need to slow the game down! Our on-ballers are slow! We need a wet muddy ground. We need the roof open when it's raining and shut when it's sunny. We need the sprinklers on for 24 hours before a home game!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintmat wrote:Nooooo! They've got it the wrong way 'round! Shut the roof when it's sunny and open it when it's raining! We need to slow the game down! Our on-ballers are slow! We need a wet muddy ground. We need the roof open when it's raining and shut when it's sunny. We need the sprinklers on for 24 hours before a home game!
Now we're talking buddy!

Just like Moorabbin in the good Ol days.

Before A-League games the sprinklers are on for a good 20 minutes, but the ground ain't muddy. You need maybe an hour or so I reckon of water.

Add to that the Bunnings or Masters shade cloth and we are sorted!
I'm sure the two big hardware stores will bid like mad to have the rights to shade the Dome!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

buy it out, smash it down, sell the land off to high rise developers. Rebuild Moorabbin, Princess Park, Western Oval, kick Essendon out and relocate North. Problem solved!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

I remember being at the 2007 A-League Grand Final at Etihad it was the one where Archie Thompson scored 5 goals.

It was 6pm, mid-Feb and the roof was half open, it seemed to work that evening.

In saying all that, what a bloody debacle that Waverley was sold off. Should never had been sold, Etihad has a feel of being on the ‘wrong side of the tracks’ for some reason.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:I remember being at the 2007 A-League Grand Final at Etihad it was the one where Archie Thompson scored 5 goals.

It was 6pm, mid-Feb and the roof was half open, it seemed to work that evening.

In saying all that, what a bloody debacle that Waverley was sold off. Should never had been sold, Etihad has a feel of being on the ‘wrong side of the tracks’ for some reason.

Waverley was stuffed and it wasn't even reachable by public transport and was in the middle of nowhere for people from the West. Had to go and now we have a great stadium. Again things get better when they are gone. I remember Waverley being the coldest ground you could imagine and didn't have great shelter from the rain.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

barneyboyz wrote:

:D
:D :D

If we aren't going to open the roof, then why did we pay so much for a roof that can be opened?

Cricket fieldsmen and keepers (when collecting an incoming throw from the outfield) have to look into the sun... I'd rather be hit by a footy than a cricket ball.

As Chris pointed out... footy is an outdoor game. Simple.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: