Anzac game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DazzlingDaryl

Anzac game

The AFL should end the season on ANZAC day. Simply declare the winner of the coll ess game the premier!

We are constantly told that this is the biggest game of the year do why not make it the Grand Final as well!

bigballs
Club Player

Re: Anzac game

I take it you're not happy with all the attention those two clubs are getting Dazza.

Personally, I don't give a s**t about all the media coverage that game is getting as the only one I'm interested in is our game in Welly!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DazzlingDaryl wrote:The AFL should end the season on ANZAC day. Simply declare the winner of the coll ess game the premier!

We are constantly told that this is the biggest game of the year do why not make it the Grand Final as well!
Jobe is a brave leader of men who has leads on and off the battlefield.
Dont forget it. The greatest Aussie war hero of all time.

DazzlingDaryl

Essesndon has won 1 flag in this Anzac day game era as has collingwood (against us unfortunately)

I am happy for this meaningless game to continue. Who remembers the result on grand final day!

It is only worth 4 points after all for all the hype

citywest

I don't care either but the point is, the 2 highest placed Victorian teams from previous year should 'Earn' the right to play the ANZAC day blockbuster. The argument that they would not fill the MCG is crap.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Anzac Day is not about football.

Lest we forget

dragit
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I don't care either but the point is, the 2 highest placed Victorian teams from previous year should 'Earn' the right to play the ANZAC day blockbuster. The argument that they would not fill the MCG is crap.
I hate to say it but... I absolutely 100% triple-dog-dare agree with you...

Agree with Con too - Jobe is like a modern day Anzac hero, negotiating the gallipoli of experimental peds... what a champ.

lest we forget (about the supplements)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Can't believe that we can't watch footy on Good Friday but we can watch the AFL bastardise and commoditise the ANZ legend.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It is true that the Eddiefest Anzac Day game has generated renewed interest in Anzac Day

When I was a kid in the 80's it wasn't as big a deal as it is now

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:It is true that the Eddiefest Anzac Day game has generated renewed interest in Anzac Day

When I was a kid in the 80's it wasn't as big a deal as it is now
Everything in today's society is a so called big deal.................controlled by overhyped media forms

saint4life
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Can't believe that we can't watch footy on Good Friday but we can watch the AFL bastardise and commoditise the ANZ legend.
Those bloody banks!! :x

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Can't believe that we can't watch footy on Good Friday but we can watch the AFL bastardise and commoditise the ANZ legend.

The game is on TV. I don't get your point.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Lol I'm blaming that on auto correct

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I'm complaining about the disrespect the AFL treats a day that should mean something to every Australian.

I just heard Lumumba be referred to as an ANZAC day hero.

I could be on my own but I don't like the men and women who risked their lives for this country being used to sell footy tickets, beer and fresh food.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm complaining about the disrespect the AFL treats a day that should mean something to every Australian.

I could be on my own but I don't like the men and women who risked their lives for this country being used to sell footy tickets, beer and fresh food.
I agree but I don't see how the AFL can tell them what to say.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your not on your own I totally agree. Certainly pay respects to the ANZACs before each game but I am over Footballers posing outside the shrine and being called
heros. I reckon ANZAC day has been hijacked by the AFL.

Thankyou to all who have fought and continue to fight for our freedom

Lest we forget

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

So you don't think the way the AFL has marketed the ANZAC day games has been disrespectful? No issues with likening some blokes playing a game to what fallen soldiers went through?

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:

LOL

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Your not on your own I totally agree. Certainly pay respects to the ANZACs before each game but I am over Footballers posing outside the shrine and being called
heros. I reckon ANZAC day has been hijacked by the AFL.

Thankyou to all who have fought and continue to fight for our freedom

Lest we forget

Yep but I think you need to speak to people who have fought. Most love the way that AFL has changed the day. It was dying. Yep players and clubs go over the top but the other option was to let the day die. You should see how my local club does it compared to 30 years ago. Same with many other local clubs. And we also use it as a fundraiser for our club but also the RSL. Previously no one made money.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I have spoken to people who have fought.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:I have spoken to people who have fought.

Well so have I. They will always think differently. What I do remember was the day dying unfortunately.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Never argue with people Plugger has talked to, his local club has about 15,000 people from all backgrounds. His local club is obviously a perfect microcosm completely representative of the wider Australian public.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well so have I. They will always think differently. What I do remember was the day dying unfortunately.
Are you sure that it was footy that brought it back? Could it have nothing to do with a growing sentitment of nationalism as A response to a changing country?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Are you sure that it was footy that brought it back? Could it have nothing to do with a growing sentitment of nationalism as A response to a changing country?

Could be but footy didn't hurt at all. I have had a long interest in Anzac day. Obviously and luckily didn't fight but my uncle died in WW2 and my Grandfather lost a leg in WW1. Still say the day was dying and the footy has helped. Doesn't mean I like players saying they have the Anzac spirit. I also love the way our local club does it now. That was never happening previously.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Never argue with people Plugger has talked to, his local club has about 15,000 people from all backgrounds. His local club is obviously a perfect microcosm completely representative of the wider Australian public.
Have you had treatment because you need it.