2015 a success?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

2015 a success?

To create some controversy - no doubt - if the following side is holding its own by season's conclusion, 2015 will have been, in my view anyway, successful and we will enter 2016 with confidence:-

Bruce Goddard Wright
Webster Fisher Gilbert
Newnes Armitage Montagna
Billings Riewoldt White
Siposs McCartin Lonie
Hickey Dunstan Steven
Longer McKenzie Acres Ross

Emg: Sinclair Weller Ray

There will be comment re Siposs, but he is the perfect build and has very great skills so I think there is very significant upside if he can find the fitness which has unfortunately evaded him and possibly played on his confidence.

Savage I think that what you see is what you will get - so I rate him as a List player only.

Geary just "butchers" the ball and again what you see is what you get - so I rate him also as a List player.

Delaney I do not rate.

There is an experienced core, and Drafting will need to add viable options.

I see White as the barometer - if he "stands up" that will be a significant positive indicator.

So, best of luck to this side!

I hope it takes the field in the back half of the season - and it gives a good account of itself.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2015 a success?

Makings of something formiddable, being moulded slowly.

So far this year we haave great intensity for 1 or 2 quarters. Then the young bodies and minds lose out to more seasoned opponents. I want to see this list run out 4 quarters with high intensity.

We should aim to be a major nusiance for the bombers. Victory is unlikely, but god it would be great to watch the saints push them to the edge for 4 quarters. See a bit of fear in the faces of 30000 arrogant essendon supporters.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I agree. That is how I'm looking at it. Port looked a basket case two years ago, the Dogs didn't have too many supporters before the season. Not sure we will come steaming out like those two, but a bit more time and recruiting and we'll go past quite a few others. More pre-seasons and mature AFL bodies and we'll have a great game style.

Would only nit pick about one or two of your selections. I quite like what Weller brings. We missed him last week.
Last edited by Verdun66 on Wed 29 Apr 2015 6:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

elizabethr
Club Player

Loving this :)

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:To create some controversy - no doubt - if the following side is holding its own by season's conclusion, 2015 will have been, in my view anyway, successful and we will enter 2016 with confidence:-

Bruce Goddard Wright
Webster Fisher Gilbert
Newnes Armitage Montagna
Billings Riewoldt White
Siposs McCartin Lonie
Hickey Dunstan Steven

There will be comment re Siposs, but he is the perfect build and has very great skills so I think there is very significant upside if he can find the fitness which has unfortunately evaded him and possibly played on his confidence.

Savage I think that what you see is what you will get - so I rate him as a List player only.

Geary just "butchers" the ball and again what you see is what you get - so I rate him also as a List player.

Delaney I do not rate.

I see White as the barometer - if he "stands up" that will be a significant positive indicator.

I hope it takes the field in the back half of the season - and it gives a good account of itself.

Its funny how words can make a player good or poor. I would rather watch the game. Siposs isn't close and unfortunately for him will be gone at the end of the year and whilst im not all over Savage, Geary and Delaney all 3 will be in the side at the end of the year with Delaney under the most pressure. he will be safe though because there is no way we will want Goddard at FB this early in his career. White well he may or may not make it but leaning to not making it. And only one of Hickey and Longer will play regularly. Im also not sure on Wright. Thought he was certain to make it but his skills are terrible. Hope im wrong on all of them but then again only 22 can make it so even if you are right or wrong others miss out or come in.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I like the focus on talent and skill in that 22 but the reality is that those players would not be able to run out a game or apply AFL-standard pressure. Siposs and White have never had the tank for AFL footy, McCartin looks buggered after the first 10 minutes of each match and you've got the two rucks in there as well. Any half-fit AFL side would run rings around that team. I'm also very doubtful that Gilbert will ever string a month of footy together again. And Goddard is still 18 years old; we shouldn't be expecting him to be close to holding down FB in his first year.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair and Lonie have been the bright spots so far. I believe both will be in our best 22 at seasons end.

FQF
SS Life Member

This is very strange.

Siposs is in yet Membrey is not even an emergency?

Savage has been one of our best players and has speed and kicking efficiency - God knows we need that.

Our best performing forward in Bruce is playing back pocket?

Weller is no superstar but he will be in the team. We have no defensive mid in your line up and sadly our midfield has no where near enough talent to simply go head to head without a tagger.

If we are disregarding injuries and looking to our best team on potential, I would like to see Markworth in the line up.

Anyway, just my opinion but I think this team is about 50% inaccurate. Time will tell.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We can go on about which players may or may not have the goods, some will make it some wont, but the bigger picture is the team, and the barometer is how competitive the team becomes. If we see a real effort in losses which we expect quite a few this season, then we know we have something to build on, but, if we stop in our tracks as we have done in the last two games and get walked over, then we have a big problem. A mixture of experienced and inexperienced players should be at least competitive, and right now, I feel the team is under-performing and AR needs to pull his finger out to rectify some of the issues structurally and tactically with the team. If I see renewed competitiveness as the year goes on, with some wins along the way, then I would say we are on the right track, but the last two weeks have set the cause back hugely.

RODOS
Club Player

Bruce is fifth in the coleman, one goal behind buddy franklin, in the worst team in the comp, and people still want to hide him away in the backline! The boy is a forward, and will be for the next ten years! At least our ruck forward.

But nice team though, would be great if White could cement a spot. Don't think Sipposs will ever be a player. Just doesn't have the will of the warrior (a little like spence). I'd swap him for sinclair who plays forward pocket very well and can rotate through the mid/defence.

Sorry, the bruce in the backline stuff astounds me

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

To the top wrote:To create some controversy - no doubt - if the following side is holding its own by season's conclusion, 2015 will have been, in my view anyway, successful and we will enter 2016 with confidence:-

Bruce Goddard Wright
Webster Fisher Gilbert
Newnes Armitage Montagna
Billings Riewoldt White
Siposs McCartin Lonie
Hickey Dunstan Steven

Delaney I do not rate.

If this is what we look like at the end of the year then God help us!!
firstly if Bruce is in the back pocket then we would have just wasted 8 months of development into him. For 2015 to be considered a success he would've kicked 40 plus goals and grown into a damaging key forward
Savage is in our top 3 or four ball users at the club and one of quickest players so he MUST be in our best 18 by years end
Sipposs will not be at the club next year. He is done
White has got to improve a lot to even be in the side by years end, he is just going for Sandy at the moment
Sinclair will be in our starting 18 by years end and probably in our top 3 or 4 goal kickers. He is a real find
Weller is our best defensive mid and definitely in our best 18

RODOS
Club Player

oh yeah, the sav must be in!!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but Savage has to be in. IMHO.

spert wrote:We can go on about which players may or may not have the goods, some will make it some wont, but the bigger picture is the team, and the barometer is how competitive the team becomes. If we see a real effort in losses which we expect quite a few this season, then we know we have something to build on, but, if we stop in our tracks as we have done in the last two games and get walked over, then we have a big problem. A mixture of experienced and inexperienced players should be at least competitive, and right now, I feel the team is under-performing and AR needs to pull his finger out to rectify some of the issues structurally and tactically with the team. If I see renewed competitiveness as the year goes on, with some wins along the way, then I would say we are on the right track, but the last two weeks have set the cause back hugely.
DSeriously you need to look at who is playing compared to 3 years ago before you can say we are underperforming. Just about every unbiased person in the media picked us for last yet in the last 2 games without Rooy and Joey we lead at half time in one and quarter time in the other. Not only were they out from SW last year so was Lenny, Dal, BJ, Jimmy, Kosi, Milney, CJ and probably one or two more regulars. When you look at it like that we have done a wonderful to be even close. I think your biased view against AR is making see no sense at all.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:We can go on about which players may or may not have the goods, some will make it some wont, but the bigger picture is the team, and the barometer is how competitive the team becomes. If we see a real effort in losses which we expect quite a few this season, then we know we have something to build on, but, if we stop in our tracks as we have done in the last two games and get walked over, then we have a big problem. A mixture of experienced and inexperienced players should be at least competitive, and right now, I feel the team is under-performing and AR needs to pull his finger out to rectify some of the issues structurally and tactically with the team. If I see renewed competitiveness as the year goes on, with some wins along the way, then I would say we are on the right track, but the last two weeks have set the cause back hugely.
DSeriously you need to look at who is playing compared to 3 years ago before you can say we are underperforming. Just about every unbiased person in the media picked us for last yet in the last 2 games without Rooy and Joey we lead at half time in one and quarter time in the other. Not only were they out from SW last year so was Lenny, Dal, BJ, Jimmy, Kosi, Milney, CJ and probably one or two more regulars. When you look at it like that we have done a wonderful to be even close. I think your biased view against AR is making see no sense at all.
I'm not biased against AR or any other coach, I just don't think he has the goods.. and, I still say we have under-performed in the last two games. So there ya go.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I'm not biased against AR or any other coach, I just don't think he has the goods.. and, I still say we have under-performed in the last two games. So there ya go.

I don't know what to say but in my assessment of the season I thought if there was anyone we couldn't afford to lose on the back of Lenny it was Rooey. Add Joey and Farren and a lot of the mature leadership goes. We probably have over achieved in periods because most people except me seemed to think we would be pushing it to get 3 wins. I think the way we have played in patches has given a few people a case of football blue balls. Got all worked up for no release. I like the free flowing footy but all the daring goes when we get a few things going wrong.

bbm
Club Player

Our two best key position players are out of the side ATM in Rooey and Gilbert. Having them both up and running will make a huge difference to our structure and overall competitiveness once they are back. Our onballlers are undersized and we need to recruit some mature onballers as we go forward. So with these key shortcomings we are going to be overpowered by most teams. However I'm absolutely rapt with Richo so far as the players are giving great effort and this is reflected in their attack on the footy, high tackle counts and just the way they are playing selfless team footy.

If we get caught up in the worries of week to week results we will end up burning another coach and have to start all over again.

I'm impatient for success just like most people - but one thing I'm most comfortable with is Richo and obviously the agreed direction the hierarchy of the club have settled upon.

Its worked before and will work again.

saintbob
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Sinclair and Lonie have been the bright spots so far. I believe both will be in our best 22 at seasons end.
As above, these two will definitely hold their spots and will only go out if it's deemed they need a rest through out the year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Our midfield needs a serious dose of talent, I reckon we're two or three good mids short.