Umps give you a reasonable run and....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umps give you a reasonable run and....

Amazing that without a huge run of frees against you can remain competitive. Collingwood 13 frees to 1 after quarter time and Carlton 22- 6 to half time.

In saying that if David Armitage was looked after like Pendlebury or Murphy he would have got ten frees yesterday.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umps give you a reasonable run and....

CURLY wrote:Amazing that without a huge run of frees against you can remain competitive. Collingwood 13 frees to 1 after quarter time and Carlton 22- 6 to half time.

In saying that if David Armitage was looked after like Pendlebury or Murphy he would have got ten frees yesterday.
Also worth mentioning that there was no way that little slug, Razor Ray should have called that kick from Dempster, a deliberate out.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 04 May 2015 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We did get a gift from Jordan Bannister though - the free to Bruce when Membury picked up the ball and kicked a point was advantage all day long.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:We did get a gift from Jordan Bannister though - the free to Bruce when Membury picked up the ball and kicked a point was advantage all day long.

Not really the Essendon players and Bruce had stopped.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
St Chris wrote:We did get a gift from Jordan Bannister though - the free to Bruce when Membury picked up the ball and kicked a point was advantage all day long.
Since when has that made any difference to advantage?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We had a reversal this week. They were against us early then went and evened up. It was definitely the one match they didn't absolutely crucify us in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We had a reversal this week. They were against us early then went and evened up. It was definitely the one match they didn't absolutely crucify us in.

Yes, it was a welcome change. Amazingly Razor was senior umpire. Usually he takes great delight in smashing us

longtimesaint
Club Player

The deliberate out of bounds against Dempster would have to be one of the worst decisions this year.
The ball travelled nearly 60 meters and it looked like the Essendon player would trap it until it bounced at right angles to go out.
Essendon swept down for a goal from that!

One year will be our year
Sobraz
SS Life Member

'Razor' Ray is completely inept at bouncing the ball. It would have to have been a record of recalled center bounces?!

Pretty much encapsulates his overall umpiring ability. Far too much of a show pony and not enough good decision making.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:The deliberate out of bounds against Dempster would have to be one of the worst decisions this year.
The ball travelled nearly 60 meters and it looked like the Essendon player would trap it until it bounced at right angles to go out.
Essendon swept down for a goal from that!

I thought the one where our defender was smashed off the ball trying to get to a Carlisle contest was a disgrace along with that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Should be fun having these threads on a weekly basis.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 04 May 2015 2:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

busso mick
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:'Razor' Ray is completely inept at bouncing the ball. It would have to have been a record of recalled center bounces?!

Pretty much encapsulates his overall umpiring ability. Far too much of a show pony and not enough good decision making.
I'm not sure about show pony, he looks more like a miniature shetland pony to me. It must be hard to bounce the ball when you are only 3 feet off the ground to start with!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was better this week.

We caught a huge break on that non advantage call. But the advantage rule is a joke and I've given up guessing what the umpire will say.

Lonie's free for holding the man was a little bit suss. He seemed to just throw it out in front of himself. I can't remember if he kicked the goal. He kicked one on 3/4 time that was from a blatant free.

I had no problem with the deliberate call against Dempster. The ball went exactly where he wanted it to go.

The block on Dunstan that allowed Carlisle to mark and run into an open goal was blatant.

And there is a rule that applies to Stanton that if tackled he doesn't need to make an effort to get rid off the ball or he can drag it back in under him and he won't be penalised for holding the ball.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Moods
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Should be fun having these threads on a weekly basis.

:lol:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Since when has that made any difference to advantage?
It doesn't. The reason the ball was brought back had to do with the fact that Jordan Bannister signalled time on just before Tim Membrey decided to plan on. That being the case, the only player who can then play on (therefore cancelling the "time on" with a "play on" signal from the umpire), is the player to whom the free (or mark) was paid.

On the issue of deliberate out of bounds, this gets down to instruction. The umpires have been told in this circumstance that if the ball goes out from a long kick, a free will be paid if there was no teammates in the general area, and conversely, a free won't be paid if there is. In this case, there was no Saints player anywhere near it. There is no doubt that Sean's intention was exactly what happened.

Jordan Bannister, in particular, did an excellent job, but I have mentioned before that he umpires according to my preferred style (like Leigh Fisher). Other than frees under direct instructions (like the deliberate out of bounds one), he doesn't pay "weak" frees, like touches to the shoulder or slight nudges. Generally, I describe this as follows: did the action put the opponent out of the contest? If the answer is yes, then it is a free. If it is no, then it is play on. It is precisely the sort of umpiring you see in GFs, but to be fair, its implementation more generally relies on having thirty very good and experienced umpires at any given time - the equivalent of having a team full of players who can kick accurately, with both feet, any distance up to 60 metres.

Of course no amount of good umpiring can make up for player stupidity. There is along standing rule that once the ball goes out, any player with the ball must either give it to the boundary umpire or place it on the ground. Twice during the game, David Armitage broke this rule and was very lucky not to be penalised. There are some things in game that a player can't control. This is not one of them.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I thought in general the umps favoured us and the Cheats were hard done by. But they deserve it of course!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

[quote="kosifantutti"

I had no problem with the deliberate call against Dempster. The ball went exactly where he wanted it to go.

.[/quote]

Well, the Commentators on the replay did. Have a problem with the call, that is. An outragious call.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:[quote="kosifantutti"

Well, the Commentators on the replay did. Have a problem with the call, that is. An outragious call.[/quote]

Well next time they should consult them. My guess is that don't even know or understand some of the rules going by what some say during the game. If it happened as Perfectionist described its the correct decision.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Well, the Commentators on the replay did. Have a problem with the call, that is. An outragious call.

Well next time they should consult them. My guess is that don't even know or understand some of the rules going by what some say during the game. If it happened as Perfectionist described its the correct decision.[/quote]

Leigh Matthews Denis Commetti and Luke Hodge dont know the rules - OK.

They called it an absurd ruling and they were correct.

The staging free kick to Howlett was also absolutely terrible.

However - we got the rub on the advantage call, and actually got a fair go from the umpires.

Believe it or not when we have Chamberlain we usually get a fair run. He is one of the better umpires IMO.

Dont know his name but used to be 25 but now is no.2. Worst most incompetent umpire I think I have ever seen. Thank god we haven't had that clown this year.

I would go for more Chamberlain if I had a go, at least he is fair and consistent. Sure he makes mistakes, all umpires do, but his decisions are consistent and thats all that is required.

But the OP is correct, we get a fair run and we are competitive.

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the public struggle with the deliberate when it seems to be an inconsistent one. Usually there is a distance where they will let it go as the ball going out into space in our forward line had plenty of time to be run onto or intercepted. If a defender can't smash a clearing kick forward it seems a little bit silly. It was under pressure not just a guy with time chopping it towards the boundary on a trajectory that was never in doubt. He was at least facing our goal at the time. It's a checkmate if you aren't allowed to take the tackle or kick long when in possession in defence. Kicking to a 50/50 is the only other option and it doesn't improve the look of the game or any other part of it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well next time they should consult them. My guess is that don't even know or understand some of the rules going by what some say during the game. If it happened as Perfectionist described its the correct decision.

However - we got the rub on the advantage call, and actually got a fair go from the umpires.

Believe it or not when we have Chamberlain we usually get a fair run. He is one of the better umpires IMO.

Dont know his name but used to be 25 but now is no.2. Worst most incompetent umpire I think I have ever seen. Thank god we haven't had that clown this year.

I would go for more Chamberlain if I had a go, at least he is fair and consistent. Sure he makes mistakes, all umpires do, but his decisions are consistent and thats all that is required.

But the OP is correct, we get a fair run and we are competitive.[/quote]

If they are correct then Perfectionist explained it incorrectly and I stand by my point that most commentators wouldn't know some of the rules. Next time Dwyane Russell says something I think that will proved to be a correct statement.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But the OP is correct, we get a fair run and we are competitive.[/quote]

Frees. 26-25 our way. On the whole I was fairly happy.

lewdogs
Club Player

I thought it was deliberate. There wasn't a Saints player within about 100 metres of that kick.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:I thought it was deliberate. There wasn't a Saints player within about 100 metres of that kick.
The ball just about turned 90 degrees to the left. Ran along the ground for 20 metres

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The umpiring in our game was fine, bar the fact razor ray can't bounce the ball.
The umpiring in the last quarter of the Bullies and Swans was as good as it gets - pity all quarters and games aren't umpired in the same way.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "