Player swoop?

Furphy

Player swoop?

I heard our coach on this morning's news announcing they were in a financial position to recruit uncontracted players from other clubs. Who do you think the Saints will go after?

Re: Player swoop?

Furphy wrote:I heard our coach on this morning's news announcing they were in a financial position to recruit uncontracted players from other clubs. Who do you think the Saints will go after?
Sloane.

Furphy wrote:I heard our coach on this morning's news announcing they were in a financial position to recruit uncontracted players from other clubs. Who do you think the Saints will go after?
Sloane.
The rumour is there..

Whoever we get let's hope we don't spend a stupid amount on one player as that may disrupt our team ethos.

james rose

Sloane and/or Suckling would be two to have a serious look at.

Sloane would round out our midfield options nicely. I've grouped the players below and tried to be harsh.

(age next year)

A Graders
Armitage (27)
Steven (26)
Sloane (26)

B Graders
Montagna (32)
Savage (25)

C Graders (Young and improving or old and playing a role)
Dunstan (21)
Eli (20)
Ross (23)
Acres (20)
Billings (20)
Ray (30)
Curren (23)
Webster (22)
Murdoch (22)
Saunders (21)
D Mac (19)
Weller (24)

james rose wrote:Sloane and/or Suckling would be two to have a serious look at.

Sloane would round out our midfield options nicely. I've grouped the players below and tried to be harsh.

(age next year)

A Graders
Armitage (27)
Steven (26)
Sloane (26)

B Graders
Montagna (32)
Savage (25)

C Graders (Young and improving or old and playing a role)
Dunstan (21)
Eli (20)
Ross (23)
Acres (20)
Billings (20)
Ray (30)
Curren (23)
Webster (22)
Murdoch (22)
Saunders (21)
D Mac (19)
Weller (24)
Suckling?

Get real.

Do we really want to lose a top 4 pick on a 26 year old. I wouldn't be chasing someone that age. Go for a younger GWS guy if you need to lose a top pick.

james rose

Whats wrong with Suckling? Seems good enough for the Hawks...

Not really sure why we lose a top 4 pick out of it? Or do you mean we'll finish higher on the ladder plugger?

I would have thought Sloane being the same age as Steven and a year younger than Armo would be a logical fit with when we are planning on contending...

james rose wrote:Whats wrong with Suckling? Seems good enough for the Hawks...

Not really sure why we lose a top 4 pick out of it? Or do you mean we'll finish higher on the ladder plugger?

I would have thought Sloane being the same age as Steven and a year younger than Armo would be a logical fit with when we are planning on contending...

I was talking about Sloane. I don't think we would want Suckling. Sloane will cost us a first round and we are likely to finish bottom 4. Depending on the draft I would use a pick like that on a 26 year old. I would use it on a 22 year old though.

When do Brad Crouch or Brodie Smith come off contract?

james rose

james rose wrote:Whats wrong with Suckling? Seems good enough for the Hawks...

I was talking about Sloane. I don't think we would want Suckling. Sloane will cost us a first round and we are likely to finish bottom 4. Depending on the draft I would use a pick like that on a 26 year old. I would use it on a 22 year old though.
He's a free agent though?

Not sold on Sloane - certainly not at the price of our top draft pick. Would look at a youngster - Shiels, Treloar. If we somehow could get him in the PSD then by all means.

sMarty_saints

I heard a rumour and it could be just that, a very good player could be coming back to Melbourne......sold their house and everything. He would be great for our team, but that is someone telling me at work and therefore there is absolutely no concrete evidence or anything like that or even any whispers around the media....maybe it is wishful thinking on my part.

The Recruit

Sucking.....hell no. Elite kick and distributor of the ball, does not win the hard ball and pretty soft. Already have Jimmy Webster, Shane Savage, Jack Newnes to do this roll and they are much harder at it.

The two are Sloan and Shiel. I hope we get Shiel. Absolute gun. Hard at the footy, extremely quick, ball magnet and elite kick. Superstar. If you get a chance to watch a GWS game do it just to watch that guy play. Treloar has one foot in the Collingwood camp.

The rumour is that Saints have offered Sloan 700 a year for five years. Hasn't signed at the crows and could be in the red white and black next year considering the big offer and the good young players/direction the club is going.

For me though Shiel should be the target. Pay him 600 over 6 years and make him a SAINT!

The Recruit wrote:Sucking.....hell no. Elite kick and distributor of the ball, does not win the hard ball and pretty soft. Already have Jimmy Webster, Shane Savage, Jack Newnes to do this roll and they are much harder at it.

The two are Sloan and Shiel. I hope we get Shiel. Absolute gun. Hard at the footy, extremely quick, ball magnet and elite kick. Superstar. If you get a chance to watch a GWS game do it just to watch that guy play. Treloar has one foot in the Collingwood camp.

The rumour is that Saints have offered Sloan 700 a year for five years. Hasn't signed at the crows and could be in the red white and black next year considering the big offer and the good young players/direction the club is going.

For me though Shiel should be the target. Pay him 600 over 6 years and make him a SAINT!

Where did you hear these rumours? There is no point in getting Sloan but Shiel makes complete sense.

sloane is 26?

news to me
have i been asleep for a couple of years?

dont answer that. :?

matrix wrote:sloane is 26?

news to me
have i been asleep for a couple of years?

dont answer that. :?

26 at the start of next season.

The Recruit

The Sloan Rumor was in Inside Football and a little in this recent article by caroline wilson

"The club Sloane grew up adoring, StKilda, is one of several Adelaide believes has made a major play for its star. That, along with the fact that his parents are expected to be moving back to Victoria at the end of this year after several happy years in Glenelg due to an employment opportunity, has led to more speculation.

And there's fiancee Belinda Riverso's new part-time role with Fox Sports which brings her to her home town of Melbourne once a week. After a dream holiday with Nathan Van Berlo and his wife Jess, which included an African safari and a week in Cape Town, Sloane waited until he was back on home turf in Adelaide to propose to Riverso six days before Christmas. Sloane laughs. "Everyone knows how I feel about Adelaide." On the heavy interest elsewhere he adds: "It definitely crosses your mind. It's the same as any business and you've got to be happy and that goes back to the players I play with."

Later, when discussing his youthful love for the Saints, Sloane jokes that he would seriously consider signing with the club if it could guarantee his hero Robert Harvey would come out of retirement and play alongside him."

The Treloar rumour is based around his management meeting with pies management recently.

The Shiel rumor is my speculation and hope.

old man
dont want him

waste of money for another oh 5 years when we should be in our window

but as ablive
if shiels or trelor came up
youd take them over rory any day of the week
i reckon they might stay tho
they are building over there in west syd

The Recruit

The Recruit wrote:Sucking.....hell no. Elite kick and distributor of the ball, does not win the hard ball and pretty soft. Already have Jimmy Webster, Shane Savage, Jack Newnes to do this roll and they are much harder at it.

Where did you hear these rumours? There is no point in getting Sloan but Shiel makes complete sense.
Yep agree with this. Much prefer Shiel.

Sloane, Shiel and Treloar are all elite mids but the reason for us to throw everything we have at Sloane is because he is not contracted for 2016. To get Shiel or Treloar we'd be looking at giving up our first pick and a decent player. Yes, those two guys are exactly what we need but that's a huge price to pay. If Sloane agreed to come to us we do not have to trade anything, and he's got 5-6 years of very good footy left in him. I'd be thrilled if we got him at 700k per year for 5. He could be a real catalyst in us pushing high into the top 8 earlier than expected.

cant see him walking from the club tbh, he will want to make sure they get something
he has been pretty happy there over the years
its only recently since all the gossip started about him not signing that it seems he is pondering life elsewhere
i actually think the crows will sign him on a big deal myself
but would love him to come to us

Sloan is 25 is'nt he? How old is Shiel? 21 or 22. Remember Sloan is uncontracted so he would cost NO draft picks, whereas Shiel would require at keast our lst round pick. Go for Sloan.

mad saint guy wrote:Sloane, Shiel and Treloar are all elite mids but the reason for us to throw everything we have at Sloane is because he is not contracted for 2016. To get Shiel or Treloar we'd be looking at giving up our first pick and a decent player. Yes, those two guys are exactly what we need but that's a huge price to pay. If Sloane agreed to come to us we do not have to trade anything, and he's got 5-6 years of very good footy left in him. I'd be thrilled if we got him at 700k per year for 5. He could be a real catalyst in us pushing high into the top 8 earlier than expected.

I don't think any of them are contracted. It will cost about the same for all 3 players. it will be a top 5 pick at least. It makes no sense getting a 26 year old and losing our first pick. If we are going to lose it we need to lose it for a 21 or 22 year old.

And Plugger, 25/6 is the youngest you will be able to get one of the uncontracted free agents. Remember Goddard? Essendon got him for nothing. We got compensated by the AFL.