It's Obviously Obvious...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's Obviously Obvious...

That the word "OBVIOUS" is overused by AFL coaches and players in interviews and pressers.

Don't get me wrong, all signs are pointing to "YES" in terms of Richo being the right guy to steer the ship across the turbulent oceans into calmer and more prosperous waters, but it is time that he cut down on his use of the "OBVIOUS". I'm sure he is more than capable of expanding his vocabulary to substitute for that particular adjective. Here are some synonyms he could use in instead: clear, plain, plain to see, crystal clear, evident, apparent, manifest, patent, conspicuous, pronounced, transparent, clear-cut, palpable, prominent, marked, decided, salient, striking, distinct, bold, noticeable, perceptible, perceivable, visible, discernible, detectable, observable, tangible and recognizable.

And there are plenty more where that came from.

Call me pedantic, but it has got to be addressed. Good PR is essential in this day of age, even for professional sports. In fact, it should be paramount for anything in the realm of professionalism. The players will also benefit from this, as it was OBVIOUS on the club website's latest edition of Schneider-Man, that Josh Bruce has been OBVIOUSLY effected by his coach stating the OBVIOUS far too often to all the players.

Time for Captain OBVIOUS to take a breather and move away from the OBVIOUS. Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?
Last edited by Sainternist on Tue 12 May 2015 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's Obviously Obvious...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:That the word "OBVIOUS" is overused by AFL coaches and players in interviews and pressers.

Don't get me wrong, all signs are pointing to "YES" in terms of Richo being the right guy to steer the ship across the turbulent oceans into calmer and more prosperous waters, but it is time that he cut down on his use of the "OBVIOUS". I'm sure he is more than capable of expanding his vocabulary to substitute for that particular adjective. Here are some synonyms he could use in instead: clear, plain, plain to see, crystal clear, evident, apparent, manifest, patent, conspicuous, pronounced, transparent, clear-cut, palpable, prominent, marked, decided, salient, striking, distinct, bold, noticeable, perceptible, perceivable, visible, discernible, detectable, observable, tangible and recognizable.

Call me pedantic, but it has got to be addressed. Good PR is essential in this day of age, even for professional sports. In fact, it should be paramount for anything in the realm of professionalism. The players will also benefit from this, as it was OBVIOUS on the club website's latest edition of Schneider-Man, that Josh Bruce has been OBVIOUSLY effected by his coach stating the OBVIOUS far too often to all the players.

Time for Captain OBVIOUS take a breather and move away from the OBVIOUS. Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?
I'm not that worried about it to be honest.

But OBVIOUSLY it's a problem for you.

OBVIOUSLY.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?
I think you need to find some poetry meetings or a good book club. :D

Pretty sure footy culture has always been moronic… Richo could grunt for all I care (provided we win), I don't follow this game for the interesting adjectives.

obvs.

Club Player

so, are you suggesting he moves to - patently obvious, or blindingly obvious, clearly obvious, visibly obvious, manifestly obvious........ you get the idea!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:That the word "OBVIOUS" is overused by AFL coaches and players in interviews and pressers.

Time for Captain OBVIOUS to take a breather and move away from the OBVIOUS. Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?
You are pedantic.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sobraz
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:

You are pedantic.
Or in other words: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky; dogmatic, purist, literalist, literalistic, formalist, scholastic; casuistic, casuistical, sophistic, sophistical; captious, hair-splitting, quibbling, pettifogging, fault-finding, hypercritical, cavilling, carping.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?
I think you need to find some poetry meetings or a good book club. :D

Pretty sure footy culture has always been moronic… Richo could grunt for all I care (provided we win), I don't follow this game for the interesting adjectives.

obvs.
So long as he doesn't invest extensively in "yeah no", I'm happy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

yeah nah'

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bucks said rhetoric a bit on his media rounds last night, think he was pretty happy with it

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I love when they use the term "literally" when they don't mean it literally. "It was literally a baptism of fire". Well no because there was not a baptism or a freakin' fire you idiot. It used to be used as a humorous exaggeration sometimes but now they think it means the opposite. Or sports men seem to speak "pacifically" about a subject instead of specifically.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Or sports men seem to speak "pacifically" about a subject instead of specifically.
That's alright though if you are talking about an ocean.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Okay I'll try it using your alternatives:

"The players will also benefit from this, as it was PRONOUNCED on the club website's latest edition of Schneider-Man, that Josh Bruce has been MANIFESTLY effected by his coach stating the PALPABLE far too often to all the players.

Time for Captain CONSPICUOUS to take a breather and move away from the BLEEDIN'. Or is the banal and the laconic just far too ingrained into today's footy culture?"

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
elizabethr
Club Player

Oblivious. .

nothing to say
saintkev
Club Player

chuck in ..."going forward"....

1965 Saint
Club Player

Hasn't anyone noticed that Clarkson starts every second sentence with "listen" and WCE Simpson with "to be honest". Turncoat Lyon still has that shifty eye dart. They've all got quirks. None of them are rocket scientists ( not even brain surgeons)

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Rocket Surgeons?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

obviously bakes

8-)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
satchmo wrote:

You are pedantic.
Or in other words: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky; dogmatic, purist, literalist, literalistic, formalist, scholastic; casuistic, casuistical, sophistic, sophistical; captious, hair-splitting, quibbling, pettifogging, fault-finding, hypercritical, cavilling, carping.
Yes, definitely all of those.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!