Simpkin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin

I've always been a fan of his spoils and toughness, and thought he was smaller than he is (191cm same as Fisher). What are his skills like? Can he add another string to his bow and be a solid link man like Fisher?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: Simpkin

Love the way he goes about it. Unfortunately has a massive height disadvantage with forwards in today's game all 195+

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Kernal75
Club Player

Gone at seasons end. GOP and has a few in front of him moving forward.

stjay
Club Player

Kernal75 wrote:Gone at seasons end. GOP and has a few in front of him moving forward.
That is pretty much my assessment of his situation.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's very solid backup but will never be more than that due to his below average skills and lack of height. If he was 196cm he'd be a great, tenacious shut-down FB but he just doesn't have the size to go with modern KPF. I'd have no issue with keeping him on the list; if we somehow made the finals in 2017 (no Fisher or Dempster on the list anymore) and we had an injury or two in defence, then a 26 year old Simpkin would be a safe, reliable option to come into the team and do a job. Defence and ruck are two positions worth having experienced depth in.

With that said, I'd say the odds are probably against Simpkin getting another year. We need to cut 4-5 players; candidates for delisting/retirement would be

Schneider - should retire
Saunders - in trouble
Siposs - in trouble
Minchington - in trouble
Simpkin - in trouble
Markworth - in trouble
Murdoch - unsure
Curren - unsure
Gilbert - depends on the rest of the year
White - some chance of delisting
Shenton - will probably be retained
Dempster - will probably go one more year
Fisher - see Dempster

#gosaintas
Club Player

He's just so tough you'd love to see him in the team but too short for the backline and not skilful enough for anywhere else

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:He's just so tough you'd love to see him in the team but too short for the backline and not skilful enough for anywhere else
Agreed. Not particularly quick, either.
Good VFL player.
When does his contract end?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Love how this guy ones about it.

Cruel run with injuries, knee preseason, then broken jaw.

You have to be a pretty decent footballer to be promoted and play a bit of footy under Ross.

I hope we keep him, kind of guy who would be picked up and played in a position elsewhere.

Saints94
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Love how this guy ones about it.

You have to be a pretty decent footballer to be promoted and play a bit of footy under Ross.

I hope we keep him, kind of guy who would be picked up and played in a position elsewhere.
Don't think he played any footy under Ross.

Played all of his footy under Watters in 2012.

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote: You have to be a pretty decent footballer to be promoted and play a bit of footy under Ross.
Simpkin is Ross's type of footballer. Don't think it says anything about his ability over any other coach promoting him - in fact, it probably says less about it.

Anyway, not so sure it's a given that he will be cut. Very reliable insurance policy to have in the seconds should injuries pile up.

Saint wagga
Club Player

We could certainly use someone with his level of toughness and aggression, but unfortunately he lacks either explosive pace, size or elite disposal/descion making.

If he gets an opportunity, he might 'break thru' and re cement a position, but he's up against it. Certainly looked better in a better performed team (ie 2012 we were much more competitive and he had a lot more quality all around him)

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:He's very solid backup but will never be more than that due to his below average skills and lack of height. If he was 196cm he'd be a great, tenacious shut-down FB but he just doesn't have the size to go with modern KPF. I'd have no issue with keeping him on the list; if we somehow made the finals in 2017 (no Fisher or Dempster on the list anymore) and we had an injury or two in defence, then a 26 year old Simpkin would be a safe, reliable option to come into the team and do a job. Defence and ruck are two positions worth having experienced depth in.

With that said, I'd say the odds are probably against Simpkin getting another year. We need to cut 4-5 players; candidates for delisting/retirement would be

Schneider - should retire
Saunders - in trouble
Siposs - in trouble
Minchington - in trouble
Simpkin - in trouble
Markworth - in trouble
Murdoch - unsure
Curren - unsure
Gilbert - depends on the rest of the year
White - some chance of delisting
Shenton - will probably be retained
Dempster - will probably go one more year
Fisher - see Dempster
Saunders, Murdoch and Curren are all contracted until the end of 2016.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Bruce probably sealed his fate. Richo obviously isn't a fan. He was always serviceable. They had him doing shitty jobs not suited to him and it never helped. I remember his highlights when we got him, his best footy was as a mobile player with clean hands much like his brother. We seemed to develop him into a KP when he was never going to make it as one. Doesn't have the leap or speed to make up for the lack of height unfortunately. He's a gun of a guy and I hope he goes on with Sandy if they do delist him. He's a Saint stalwart despite not playing a lot of games.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Love how this guy ones about it.

Don't think he played any footy under Ross.

Played all of his footy under Watters in 2012.
Debuted in 2011

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think Bruce probably sealed his fate. Richo obviously isn't a fan. He was always serviceable. They had him doing shitty jobs not suited to him and it never helped. I remember his highlights when we got him, his best footy was as a mobile player with clean hands much like his brother. We seemed to develop him into a KP when he was never going to make it as one. Doesn't have the leap or speed to make up for the lack of height unfortunately. He's a gun of a guy and I hope he goes on with Sandy if they do delist him. He's a Saint stalwart despite not playing a lot of games.

What has Bruce got to do with Simpkin? Hope they keep him but must be very doubtful.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I like Simpkin. Does a good defensive job, knows how to get into the right places to spoi but doesn't give much in the way of rebounding which seems to be a prerequisite of defenders these days. He's a good back up but won't get a game ahead of those in the side now. If Fisher gives it away it might save him but I can't see him being a regular regardless.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not damaging enough to play third tall or flanks.

So has to be KPD.
* Delaney and Goddard have bother arrived after him and with more height will do the role better
* Fisher if he stays fit may have another 2 seasons into him
* Lee has also recently played a KPD with good form and is a lot more damaging with the ball that Simpkin

There is only so much room in the 22, and we need to improve. Unfortunately for Simpkin there just does not seem to be any position where he can displace anyone.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Disch
Club Player

I rate him.
Reckon Eddie Betts might have harder game if Simpkin was on him.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Saunders, Murdoch and Curren are all contracted until the end of 2016.
Really?! Well that's rather baffling list management. Personally I wouldn't keep any of them around after this year. Saunders lacks skill, Murdoch can't get the ball and TC just doesn't have a weapon at AFL level.

FQF
SS Life Member

Simpkin's most likely chance of a spot is Dempster's. Both mid sized, very defensive-minded without offering much offence. Dempster has better contested marking ability, but Simpkin is probably more aggressive.

Vazelos
Club Player

Simpkin is obviously under the pump not having made the team for a while.I see him being cut at the end of the year.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He needs to find a role ASAP if he is to have any chance

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I think Bruce probably sealed his fate. Richo obviously isn't a fan. He was always serviceable. They had him doing shitty jobs not suited to him and it never helped. I remember his highlights when we got him, his best footy was as a mobile player with clean hands much like his brother. We seemed to develop him into a KP when he was never going to make it as one. Doesn't have the leap or speed to make up for the lack of height unfortunately. He's a gun of a guy and I hope he goes on with Sandy if they do delist him. He's a Saint stalwart despite not playing a lot of games.

What has Bruce got to do with Simpkin? Hope they keep him but must be very doubtful.
We probably had him next in line for a backline gig and once Bruce arrived they stopped playing him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We probably had him next in line for a backline gig and once Bruce arrived they stopped playing him.

Yep but that was over a year ago. Bruce has nothing to do with Simpkin not playing now.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Beno88 wrote:Saunders, Murdoch and Curren are all contracted until the end of 2016.
Really?! Well that's rather baffling list management. Personally I wouldn't keep any of them around after this year. Saunders lacks skill, Murdoch can't get the ball and TC just doesn't have a weapon at AFL level.

I think Saunders has something, he's super quick and can get the ball. Like TC they put them in the forward pocket where they aren't suited and tell them to defend. Saunders is probably being developed for a running mid role. Simpkin, Siposs and Markworth seem to be on the outer and it looks a long way back for them. I hope the last two get a chance at one more crack at a senior spot so we can at least make a judgement.