H.Goddard as 3rd Tall Forward/Relieving Ruck?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

H.Goddard as 3rd Tall Forward/Relieving Ruck?

From the reports on the Sandy v Pt Melb match it sounds like Hugh was playing forward for the day and apparently did quite well. I'm not sure if he had a go in the ruck or not to relieve Holmes.

With the Hickey experiment not going so well and with the third tall forward spot being up for grabs since we got rid of Stanley can Hugh be this player for us? If he is, is that a good or bad thing seeing as we don't really have any tall backs coming through?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
anthony_13
Club Player

Re: H.Goddard as 3rd Tall Forward/Relieving Ruck?

Goddard 196cm FF and McCartin FB

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He's been playing very well down back. Lets hope they don't screw with his head like they have with Hickey. Jake Carlisle style.
Last edited by 8856brother on Sat 13 Jun 2015 6:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintsational Legend

Not sure why they did that today as we had mccartin, Markworth & siposs coming back in...

Sounds like Goddard is good enough to play anywhere which is great, would like to see him settle in one position for awhile personally.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Not sure why they did that today as we had mccartin, Markworth & siposs coming back in...

Sounds like Goddard is good enough to play anywhere which is great, would like to see him settle in one position for awhile personally.
Still a kid, great opportunity to learn different positions.

They way football is played today, players need to cover the whole ground. They may as well learn the trade.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I guess our goldilocks selectors figure why bother with Hugh in the backline when he will never get a game against that elite talent that is Shenton. Also, Hugh is too tall for the backline. It's only the midfield that really matters and when you have Schneider in the midfield averaging the grand total on 20 possessions with only 8 clangers, how can we go wrong?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

He didn't play ruck as we had Holmes and pierce to share the ruck duties. Him and McCartin rotated between key forward posts worked well as they play different styles, McCartin leading up whilst Hugh is a contested marking animal.

Freebird
Club Player

8856brother wrote:He's been playing very well down back. Lets hope they don't screw with his head like they have with Hickey. Jake Carlisle style.

Hickey not that good...certainly no Carlistle

Saintberra
Club Player

Bruce back at Eastlake played forward and back on the occasion. Great way to learn how to beat a defender, is to become a defender for a bit. Good way to become a backman, is to learn the traits of a Forward. I believe Riewoldt played a little bit back in his time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is a very big boy. No doubts about that.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
8856brother wrote:He's been playing very well down back. Lets hope they don't screw with his head like they have with Hickey. Jake Carlisle style.

Hickey not that good...certainly no Carlistle
Was comparing head space not ability. Hickey actually goes alright when played in his obvios position. Jake does as well.

#gosaintas wrote:I guess our goldilocks selectors figure why bother with Hugh in the backline when he will never get a game against that elite talent that is Shenton. Also, Hugh is too tall for the backline. It's only the midfield that really matters and when you have Schneider in the midfield averaging the grand total on 20 possessions with only 8 clangers, how can we go wrong?

Oh lordy, that's some post. Why bag our players? Someone that considers Shenton holding up a spot for Goddard is probably not really heavily loaded in the credibility department. Schneider is holding him out how? I'm not sure what you are actually saying but it's not really very sensible.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:I guess our goldilocks selectors figure why bother with Hugh in the backline when he will never get a game against that elite talent that is Shenton. Also, Hugh is too tall for the backline. It's only the midfield that really matters and when you have Schneider in the midfield averaging the grand total on 20 possessions with only 8 clangers, how can we go wrong?

Oh lordy, that's some post. Why bag our players? Someone that considers Shenton holding up a spot for Goddard is probably not really heavily loaded in the credibility department. Schneider is holding him out how? I'm not sure what you are actually saying but it's not really very sensible.
Maybe not sensible, but definitely consistent in his message.

Club Player

What impressed me most about his work up forward was his contested marking. He is great overhead and in contested situations. His kicking for goal wasn't great (he should've ended up with, at least, 3 goals- all of his misses were very gettable) but I think the forward line experiment worked. Looks like he'll be just like his cousin- an A+ swing man 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Really. I suppose one of the reasons for this forum is to see who understands the game. It does its job very well if that is true.

spert
Saintsational Legend

My guess is that Goddard needs a bigger tank for seniors, and will develop with this year at VFL under his belt. Hickey is still developing and will be an important player for us over the next few years, but more ruck than forward. Shenton is an honest workhorse, and never been our worst player in losses this season.

bergsone
SS Life Member

IMO he will be a tall marking back ,who can go forward like a Harry Taylor geelong,so happy to see him forward at times at sandy.With Fisher,Dempster getting to the end,really reckon we need develop him into a back as that's where the holes are going to be

mordi
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Really. I suppose one of the reasons for this forum is to see who understands the game. It does its job very well if that is true.

Full Definition of FORUM
a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b : a public meeting place for open discussion
c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

I don't think it implies any special knowledge needed ....just saying.

What's the Point of it All?