Thank You again Rooey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thank You again Rooey

Your a bloody legend mate.

Doing it for your sister again in those orange boots.

What a champ - 4 goals.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thank You again Rooey

He played a terrific game. I just wish he had have converted with that set shot after a mark, with about 5 minutes left. Would have made it much harder for Melbourne then. That's not say there were a few other bad misses in that final quarter. Thank heavens for that last minute goal.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

We have been bloody spoilt with this guy haven't we.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He is one extraordinary footballer.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:We have been bloody spoilt with this guy haven't we.
Well all four games we've won this year were with him
playing in.

We wouldn't have beaten either Dogscray nor the Dees without him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He was enormous today. How Melbourne fans must hate the sight of him

saintcrazy
Club Player

So true, absolutely inspirational for the team. No one else plays like Rooey . No one . Anywhere.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
playing in.

Did he play against the Dogs?

Couldve sworn he missed.....oh wait... :mrgreen:

“Yeah….nah””
asaint
Club Player

I have so much respect & admiration for him. A champ.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
playing in.

Missed against Gold Coast from memory. Anyway, once a champion, always a champion. Proved he has another season left in him.

Saint supporter since '62
miskycat
Club Player

Like others here, I never get over how magnificent Nick is.
What kind of a side would we be without him? He gives so much and keeps on doing amazing things week after week.
He is a joy to watch and a great leader.
Thanks, Nick. Thanks and thanks and thanks.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Took me 12 years to like him but now I wholeheartedly agree, huge player.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

He has played in all our wins. We wouldn't have beaten the Lions without him I'm pretty sure

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Gee I reckon you were harsh then.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Just a little.

I was in the fan club about a decade ago.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Fair conclusion.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

/manlove rant incoming.

I'm actually a bit in awe of him to be honest. And it has snuck up on me really.

2015 has been an extremely trying year for him. If you watch the vision from last week, with his family, going through the MRV setup, there is no way known that I could have managed what he did. The whole situation is just so raw and emotional. The whole Riewoldt family is just smashed with grief and you cannot blame them. Yet he is so strong that he can anchor them in such a time. Such an incredibly strong and driven individual.

He has achieved so much in his career it is kinda amazing. An absolute racehorse. The astounding runner, with the mental toughness that drove him to go, go again and then go again. The footy smarts, changing direction of a lead, and timing it so, based on where his defender is looking. He moves his eyes, time to burst. So good at it. Would just grind the best defenders in the competition to breaking point. The very best could occasionally break even. Occasionally.

The ridiculous contested mark. The lack of fear, beyond courage or even self worth at times. He's given it all for us, and almost, almost achieved everything there was to achieve.

He has been on one leg for over eight years. He will retire with an absolutely rooted body. Will probably need a knee replacement by his 45th birthday.

I never thought I would see anyone would ever come anywhere near Rob Harvey but if he goes around next year he will go over 300 games and probably knock over 700 goals. Yeah, with a lazy six Trevor Barker Medals. Six of them. Our best player in our era of sustained onfield success. Do we take this guy for granted or what? If he wasn't going around right now we would be rooted. Plain and simple. The Melbourne game is just a prime example.

Serious consideration should be give to retiring the #12 when he gives it away. I generally don't buy into the sentimental Seppo bulls*** such as that, but why the hell not. If a single player can somehow weave themselves into the very fabric of a football club, then it is this guy.

We need to be celebrating his career now, before it is over. I watched most of his early/mid career in a state of tension. I barely enjoyed any of it as our onfield success just fell on his shoulders above everyone else. The team performance was just so dependent on his performance. I feel somewhat free of that now. Now I can just chortle and marvel, as he just goes, then goes again, and then goes once more as the cop out across half back when there is no one else.

I know we have seen some brilliant individual players at this club over the journey, but Nick Riewoldt is as good as any that has ever worn the red, white and black. Any of them.

I did warn you it was a manlove rant.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Great post bigred.

Yeah Roo is my number 2 Saint now. After the GOAT

If they re-did the All time best Saints team now, he would be captain. And that nothing against the Doc who would be a fine VC

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:If a single player can somehow weave themselves into the very fabric of a football club, then it is this guy.
Great post overall! I think this line sums it up. At this point he's actually shaped the club in his own image. That's pretty impressive. I love Lenny but even he didn't do that.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:/manlove rant incoming.

I'm actually a bit in awe of him to be honest. And it has snuck up on me really.

2015 has been an extremely trying year for him. If you watch the vision from last week, with his family, going through the MRV setup, there is no way known that I could have managed what he did. The whole situation is just so raw and emotional. The whole Riewoldt family is just smashed with grief and you cannot blame them. Yet he is so strong that he can anchor them in such a time. Such an incredibly strong and driven individual.

He has achieved so much in his career it is kinda amazing. An absolute racehorse. The astounding runner, with the mental toughness that drove him to go, go again and then go again. The footy smarts, changing direction of a lead, and timing it so, based on where his defender is looking. He moves his eyes, time to burst. So good at it. Would just grind the best defenders in the competition to breaking point. The very best could occasionally break even. Occasionally.

The ridiculous contested mark. The lack of fear, beyond courage or even self worth at times. He's given it all for us, and almost, almost achieved everything there was to achieve.

He has been on one leg for over eight years. He will retire with an absolutely rooted body. Will probably need a knee replacement by his 45th birthday.

I never thought I would see anyone would ever come anywhere near Rob Harvey but if he goes around next year he will go over 300 games and probably knock over 700 goals. Yeah, with a lazy six Trevor Barker Medals. Six of them. Our best player in our era of sustained onfield success. Do we take this guy for granted or what? If he wasn't going around right now we would be rooted. Plain and simple. The Melbourne game is just a prime example.

Serious consideration should be give to retiring the #12 when he gives it away. I generally don't buy into the sentimental Seppo bulls*** such as that, but why the hell not. If a single player can somehow weave themselves into the very fabric of a football club, then it is this guy.

We need to be celebrating his career now, before it is over. I watched most of his early/mid career in a state of tension. I barely enjoyed any of it as our onfield success just fell on his shoulders above everyone else. The team performance was just so dependent on his performance. I feel somewhat free of that now. Now I can just chortle and marvel, as he just goes, then goes again, and then goes once more as the cop out across half back when there is no one else.

I know we have seen some brilliant individual players at this club over the journey, but Nick Riewoldt is as good as any that has ever worn the red, white and black. Any of them.

I did warn you it was a manlove rant.

Great post!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
howlinwolf
Club Player

Great summation Bigred.
No need to be ashamed of man love there.
The only thing I could add is his incredible loyalty.
In this day of free agency and money being the holy grail he stands out like a beacon.
A great ambassador for our club for many a year after his playing days.
That's the incredible thing. I feel there are even bigger parts for him to play.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Great summation Bigred.
No need to be ashamed of man love there.
The only thing I could add is his incredible loyalty.
In this day of free agency and money being the holy grail he stands out like a beacon.
A great ambassador for our club for many a year after his playing days.
That's the incredible thing. I feel there are even bigger parts for him to play.
Indeed.

Like Judd, he's way too smart just to be in the media.

He would most likely make an excellent coach but also possibly in the admin side of footy also.

He's got a big future ahead of him for sure - the amount of respect he now has a footballer is huge. Let's hope when he
does finally retire at the end of 2017 that his send off is as decorated as Judd's was. (But without the season ending injury bit!)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Great post Red.

I'dhhave to say he has to be up there in our all time best.
Pushing for the best imo

Absolute legend of St Kilda.

If he called it quits last year we would be a shoe in for pick one.
I'd rather see him running about thanks
:)

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I have seen three out and out champions play for the Saints since moving to Melbourne in 1988

Tony Lockett
Robert Harvey
Nick Riewoldt

in no particular order.

I have seen some fantastic players over that time, Winmar, Burke, Loewe, Dal, bj, G-Train, Steve Milne, to name a few, but only three champions.

Nick Riewoldt, and the way he has played for the STKFC since his flag chance has passed has been astounding. He could easily have dropped his bundle, looked to be traded or FA to search for a flag, but he showed his character and the reason why GT, then Lyon, Watter, and now Richo wanted him as captain.

What a leader, what an inspiration.

Just a tiny little thing that shows his leadership. 19 seconds to go, Saints dropping players back. Jack Lonie looks to his captain and starts running up field. Riewoldt says no and keeps him in the forward line. This was exactly in line with what Richo was saying in the box, but could not possibly been relayed to Riewoldt.

The result, when the ball eventual came to Jack St3even in the last seconds, he had a forward target to kick to and ice the game.

Champion, leader, and we are blessed to have him on our club colours.

You are garbage - Enough said