Game against WB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Game against WB

May seem like a stupid question on a Saints forum but some on here have shown they don't care if the Saints win or lose games this year but does anyone actually want to lose this week against the WB to get some imaginary pick. If yes is it because of a pick or do you really have no interest in the Saints for the next year or two.

I want to win this week. If we lose we may benefit with a better pick in 6 months time. We also may not.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game against WB

We can make this a poll if you like?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't like our chances but I'm hoping for a win, especially this week so I can stick it up my bulldog mate.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Def want to beat them, flog them would be perfect. Picks will be whatever they are.

elizabethr
Club Player

I ALWAYS want to WIN!!

nothing to say
Playon
Club Player

Win win win

Winning is just as important for the playing group as it is for memberships

Self belief goes a long way into the future

Darth Vader
Club Player

I definitely 100% want to win and always do. Will be annoyed if we lose but will console myself by thinking "better draft pick".

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm torn!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Meh.... good, consistent effort
Results not that important

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I want to win this week. I want to win every week.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than rising from my seat when the final siren blows; applauding the boys and belting out the club song several times.

But given where we are at in the rebuild, I won’t be shattered if we fall short. A win or a loss is unlikely to have any impact on us getting into the Finals. And, the reality is that there are perceived rewards for ending up at the bottom end of the ladder.

Everyone has different views, but for me, in 2015, it’s quite simply:

I want to win every game. I do not want to lose any games.

But when inevitably we do lose a game, my TV screen will remain intact and my cat will not be in any danger from my footwear. Not because I want the loss, but simply because losses are to be expected at this stage of our journey.

felix
Club Player

Yes Dr you are right as usual. Ps..... That picture of Hird is starting to creep me out a lot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Winning is fun. You get all excited for days afterwards.

I love it when we win. Loved our wins this year. Bring 'em on.

Also can't stand Scumscray.

f*** tanking.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

While watching the game I want us to win… but a week later I couldn't care less if we have 4 wins or 5 wins for the year.

In 3 months time I would prefer us to be 16th than 10th. We definitely still need to bring in elite talent which is more likely with the 3rd pick than the 9th or 10th pick.

I love watching us win games, but the bigger picture is more important at the end of the day - building a premiership team.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I want to win every game we play.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I'm torn!
I hear ya :)

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Apart from Billings we have a strong side in this week. I'd like to think the team have been working on ways of moving the ball inside 50 during the break, our poor use bringing the ball forward almost cost the match against the dees. If we get that right infront of a very parochial st kilda crowd against Footscray we should get home. Saints by 17-25.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Nobody will be hoping for a loss. I can't imagine Saints fans at home or at the game cheering the Dogs kicking goals....

....but....

With AFL rewarding mediocrity, is it the end of the world if we lose. No.

For what it's worth, I think we'll get hammered. I reckon the Dogs think they owe us one, and I expect them to be really switched on, with our guys a bit stuck in holiday mode after the bye.

SMS
Club Player

They can think what they want.
We will smsh them.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:May seem like a stupid question on a Saints forum
depends, but yeah it prob is
plugger66 wrote:but some on here have shown they don't care if the Saints win or lose games this year
yes thats true, i dont see a prob with that tho..each to their own
plugger66 wrote:but does anyone actually want to lose this week against the WB to get some imaginary pick.
well you just told us that some people actually ddont care if we win or lose games this year so that would make the answer (that you already know) yes
plugger66 wrote:If yes is it because of a pick or do you really have no interest in the Saints for the next year or two.
this was discussed in the Im Torn thread that you had plenty to say in so you also already know the answer to this question, it is about picks
plugger66 wrote:I want to win this week. If we lose we may benefit with a better pick in 6 months time. We also may not.
well obviously we might or might not get a good pick in six months time, again this was discussed repeatedly in the Im Torn thread that you trolled youre way thru
so do we really need another thread discussing how your opinion is superior to those that would rather drop games and get a pick
when its been proven thru draft history that win or lose prob means nothing when it comes to draft order because all teams are looking for diff player types and some players in top 10 fail and some in the top 40 dont

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

When I think about it, I probably have a heirachy of thoughts :

Most games, I go, wanting to win - especially against the Dogs this week.
Go to the game "hoping" to win when it looks tough - say Richmond.
Comfortable with a loss, providing the boys give a lot of effort.
Hate it when it is a wipe-out (think Hawks).
I like the week-to-week competitiveness of football. I don't worry about the longer term outcome - that's what the Club does.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:but some on here have shown they don't care if the Saints win or lose games this year
plugger66 wrote:but does anyone actually want to lose this week against the WB to get some imaginary pick.
well you just told us that some people actually ddont care if we win or lose games this year so that would make the answer (that you already know) yes
plugger66 wrote:If yes is it because of a pick or do you really have no interest in the Saints for the next year or two.
this was discussed in the Im Torn thread that you had plenty to say in so you also already know the answer to this question, it is about picks
plugger66 wrote:I want to win this week. If we lose we may benefit with a better pick in 6 months time. We also may not.
well obviously we might or might not get a good pick in six months time, again this was discussed repeatedly in the Im Torn thread that you trolled youre way thru
so do we really need another thread discussing how your opinion is superior to those that would rather drop games and get a pick
when its been proven thru draft history that win or lose prob means nothing when it comes to draft order because all teams are looking for diff player types and some players in top 10 fail and some in the top 40 dont
lol...nicely put Mat.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Def want to beat them, flog them would be perfect. Picks will be whatever they are.

Lets flog the floggies.

Flog

the

Dogs

Flog the Flogs

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Fellow flogmeisters. I'm hoping for a loss against the floggies so instead of pick 4, we get, pick 4...yipee...flogs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:While watching the game I want us to win… but a week later I couldn't care less if we have 4 wins or 5 wins for the year.

In 3 months time I would prefer us to be 16th than 10th. We definitely still need to bring in elite talent which is more likely with the 3rd pick than the 9th or 10th pick.

I love watching us win games, but the bigger picture is more important at the end of the day - building a premiership team.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all. Just before the draft I will probably be saying I wished we finished last so we get the first pick but I cant see how anyone could not want us to win this week or next week and so on. Yep if we lose its not the end of the world and we console ourselves with better picks but I don't get anyone who cant simply say I want to win this week. I don't get as long as we try hard or whats best for the club and so on. I get that after we lose but not before a game. If we were somehow involved in a game like the Kruzer cup I would still be hoping we win that game.

If people don't care if we win I wonder what the point is in watching a game. Yep guys could play well for the future but I will never understand how you could not barrack for us during the game. Those who cant say they want to win this week just lose me as supporters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:

I trolled in Im torn because I want to win. What a <edited by mods> joke you are. The people who want to lose are the trolls. Now have a nice day and work on the IQ. They do have train your brains on the internet.

<Warning for abuse>