Delaney, who will make way for him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Delaney, who will make way for him?

According to Huddo, Delaney was B.O.G. for Sandringham against Collingwood. If he is to be selected this week, who should make way for him?

S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: Delaney, who will make way for him?

i personally think that he should be playing every game... but with him in the current side the backline doesnt quiet look right with Chips Gilbo Dempster Roberton and him.. one of them needs to make way and i dont think its robbo due to his run...

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Saint wagga
Club Player

At the moment, dont think he's in our best 22. SHould be KPD backup IMO moving forward. If his form stays strong he is first called up if Chips, Dempster or Gilbert go down. I'd like to see Goddard and him pushing eachother to be first line backup should injury or form warrant bringing in another KPD, with Goddards age and scope for serious improvement being taken into consideration. Just IMO.

PLenty of our guys seem to be "BOG" at VFL level and then come into the AFL team and look only mediocre...Minch, Acres, Curren, Eli etc...Now some of those guys are young and clearly have plenty of scope. Delaney is not young and is actually probably at his peak at present from a physical sense and he's been in an AFL system for 5+ years...Personally think Delaney is the kind of player who will probably excel at the VFL level where the importance of having some attacking abilty and transition game is not as glaringly obviously missing or imprtant. He's certainly ahead of Simpkin though who looks like his spot on the list is in strife.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

So long as he doesn't displace anyone in their 30's everything will be okay.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

saint wagga said in part :
At the moment, dont think he's in our best 22. SHould be KPD backup IMO moving forward. If his form stays strong he is first called up if Chips, Dempster or Gilbert go down.
Yes, agree with that. His re-bound attack is not quite there - needs more speed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:So long as he doesn't displace anyone in their 30's everything will be okay.
Fisher will be better for the run and I'd play him ahead of Delaney.

Delaney needs more than just 1 BOG at Sandy to atone for his patheticness in his last game for us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand why Delaney would be playing. Big deal that he was best. The backline looks good at the moment. Plenty of run and a fair bit of speed.

FQF
SS Life Member

Gilbert has a very good record against Cameron so I don't think he'll be needed this week. Should only come in for an appropriate match up.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
dragit wrote:So long as he doesn't displace anyone in their 30's everything will be okay.

Delaney needs more than just 1 BOG at Sandy to atone for his patheticness in his last game for us.
You mean the game that he flogged Boyd in? :roll: :roll: :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

You mean the game that he flogged Boyd in? :roll: :roll: :roll:
That's a fair comment. Two very good games in a row might see him back in the seniors very soon. Who does he replace is a very good question though.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Interesting that Huddo nmaed him BOG, I thought he was ok but wouldnt be dropping anyone to rush him back just yet!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Good mate of mine who lives near Vic Park (and barracks for the bombers of all clubs) went to watch the game wityh his 10 year old son. Reckons everyone was pretty ordinary up until 3/4 time. He thought that Clinton Jones was clearly our best player, and reckons none of the saints listed players really impressed.

I'm not a huge Delaney fan. Reckon he's too slow in body and mind, and his skills aren't really AFL standard. Gets a game b/c of his big body and not much else. Would prefer they bring Goddard in if we need a key back. After the weekend, I would take a sneaky guess and say that barring injury, nobody makes way for anybody.