Weagles free kicks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Weagles free kicks

Here is some interesting stats re WCE and free kicks for 2015, I believe these back up the anger from Saturday

ff fa opp home top 8
Round 1 19 20 wb y
Round 2 19 13 carl ds
Round 3 20 13 freo ds y
Round 4 13 11 bris
Round 5 26 22 gws ds
Round 6 15 13 pa
Round 7 19 8 gcs ds
Round 8 20 12 stk
Round 9 25 11 geel ds
Round 10 21 14 nm y
Round 11 16 13 ess ds
Round 12 13 25 rich y
Round 13
Round 14 20 12 melb
Round 15 17 7 adel ds y
Round 16 8 24 coll
Round 17 14 18 swans ds y
Round 18 12 20 gcs
Round 19 14 15 hawth ds y
Round 20 32 19 freo ds y
Round 21 20 15 wb ds y
Round 22 19 17 adel y
Round 23 23 6 stk ds
405 328
average
difference ff fa
home 245 160 85
top 8 117 87 30 19.5 14.5
bottom 128 73 55 21.3 12.2

away 160 168

top 8 72 76 18 19
bottom 88 92 14.7 15.3

It is quite clear that against the bottom sides they get a clear advantage at home. When there are only an average of 34 total free kicks given (WCE v bottom 10) and they are receiving nearly 2/3 of them, I call that unfair
Note also that the average number of free kicks for the year is 18
The Eagles received above that number 13 times (frees for) and below a massive 15 times (frees against)

When they play away they run at pretty much 50/50

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: Weagles free kicks

sorry I edited that in preview and it looked ok but obviously not now

anyway what it shows is that across the year the weagles have a 9 free kick differential against the bottom sides

and that across the board they go very nicely for free kicks at home

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

There's more to home ground advantage than knowing which is the dead pocket

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Interesting, good stats, thanks. To put it another way:

home games = +85 = +7.27 per game
away games = -8 = -0.73 per game

That looks pretty damning. I wonder which other teams have such a good free kick differential at home?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

No surprise the one team that got the clear advantage on West Coast.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
GoSaintersGo
Club Player

The free kicks against, ie 6 to St Kilda against 23 to WC, INCLUDE 3 "out on the full".
That means St.Kilda received only 3 free kicks "in the field of play" for the whole game.
Basic intelligence will tell you that it is not possible for a team (West Coast) to give away ONLY 3 free kicks in play, they are not that good.
As a result, it should be said that the umpiring has strongly favoured one team (West Coast) against another, St.Kilda.
I trust the St.KFC will seek an explanation from the umpire's Department at the AFL and make their response public.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Interesting, good stats, thanks. To put it another way:

home games = +85 = +7.27 per game
away games = -8 = -0.73 per game

That looks pretty damning. I wonder which other teams have such a good free kick differential at home?
You nailed it. Noone comes close to the Weagles. Interestingly Freo dont get that kind of treatment. So there must be something unique about the Eagles. Colours or crowd? I have no idea. But it is a strange phenomenon. Eagles also get more free away. So the crowd cant explain everything.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/wes ... 7383490467

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:The free kicks against, ie 6 to St Kilda against 23 to WC, INCLUDE 3 "out on the full".
That means St.Kilda received only 3 free kicks "in the field of play" for the whole game.
Basic intelligence will tell you that it is not possible for a team (West Coast) to give away ONLY 3 free kicks in play, they are not that good.
As a result, it should be said that the umpiring has strongly favoured one team (West Coast) against another, St.Kilda.
I trust the St.KFC will seek an explanation from the umpire's Department at the AFL and make their response public.
Out of Bounds on the full do not count in the free kick count.

But your point is still valid - 1 free kick every 20 minutes of football (15 minutes of playing time)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Umpiring also incorporates interpretations that don't register on the free kick tally,
such as what constitutes a mark, how much is 50m in a 50m penalty, and how far
a team has to kick before it's considered a mark (in StK's case, 25m).

realdeal
Club Player

And we laid 81 tackles for the game! Nothing to be sneezed at. It's insane!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Something smells to high heaven in Bumcrack WA. And it ain't cheese.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

That was mind boggling that game. It must have been corruption trying to set a margin because the umps could have racked the cue but chose to keep trying to find ridiculous reasons to pay frees. The one to Dustan for getting his head kneed was ridiculous. It couldn't be compared to a guy sliding in head first....he bent down to pick the ball up. Riewoldt for marking the ball out in front. You couldn't make some of them up if you were trying. Those two inbred brothers must need to pay off some gambling debts.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

GoSaintersGo wrote:The free kicks against, ie 6 to St Kilda against 23 to WC, INCLUDE 3 "out on the full".

I've come to the conclusion it would be a complete and utter waste of time for the club to approach the Umpiring Department to seek some kind of acknowledgment about the disproportionate number of frees paid for and against.

I'm no mathematician but those free kicks were way of proportion paid to one side and to the other side an average of 1.2 free kicks per quarter!

Apart from having like another 17 kick per game player on the ground, to me it appears that if those knuckleheads can't work that out, then our club will never get them to listen to any logical argument.

Besides, I think unless we out right pay them bribes, nothing is going to change.

The punishment for "Whispers in the Sky" & "Sirengate" continues and it's almost like St Kilda putting the spotlight on umpiring decisions from those games continues to bring upon this team almost 10 years on any lack of objectivity with the umpiring fraternity. And it's not about to change.

BTW can someone explain how the Eagles player who tunnelled Sam Gilbert who ended flat on his back on the ground, then ended up with a free kick?
That's when I knew this game was lost and nothing about the umpiring for this game was going to be fair.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

I've come to the conclusion it would be a complete and utter waste of time for the club to approach the Umpiring Department to seek some kind of acknowledgment about the disproportionate number of frees paid for and against.

I'm no mathematician but those free kicks were way of proportion paid to one side and to the other side an average of 1.2 free kicks per quarter!

Apart from having like another 17 kick per game player on the ground, to me it appears that if those knuckleheads can't work that out, then our club will never get them to listen to any logical argument.

Besides, I think unless we out right pay them bribes, nothing is going to change.

The punishment for "Whispers in the Sky" & "Sirengate" continues and it's almost like St Kilda putting the spotlight on umpiring decisions from those games continues to bring upon this team almost 10 years on any lack of objectivity with the umpiring fraternity. And it's not about to change.

BTW can someone explain how the Eagles player who tunnelled Sam Gilbert who ended flat on his back on the ground, then ended up with a free kick?
That's when I knew this game was lost and nothing about the umpiring for this game was going to be fair.
This years free kick tally for the weagles just about mirrors the past 5 years.

I don't know the answer but it stinks all the same. Has for years.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Yes it stinks because again I hold the naïve view that this is supposed to be a fair and equal competition and not open to influence.

But umpiring is quite clearly open to influence whether it be the "crowd frees" the continual re-interpretation of rules often mid-game or even mid-quarter.

And as long it's not fair and equitable one side loses out and one side wins.

And I now where the St Kilda football club sits.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

I would apply directly to the AFL and suggest we don't think they provide a safe work place and refuse to play games in WA. Let them have the points, they will get them anyway. Until they can guarantee that the umpires will be impartial don't play. Remember whispers in the sky. The AFL let the umpires know they had free reign with out consequence. We should have an honour system. The ladder is almost exactly like the free kick ladder except for Freo. Suggests a correlation to the umpires handing out frees in a biased way.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:

I would apply directly to the AFL and suggest we don't think they provide a safe work place and refuse to play games in WA. Let them have the points, they will get them anyway. Until they can guarantee that the umpires will be impartial don't play. Remember whispers in the sky. The AFL let the umpires know they had free reign with out consequence. We should have an honour system. The ladder is almost exactly like the free kick ladder except for Freo. Suggests a correlation to the umpires handing out frees in a biased way.
That's funny Gringo. Well the first part is.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

ozrulestrace wrote: BTW can someone explain how the Eagles player who tunnelled Sam Gilbert who ended flat on his back on the ground, then ended up with a free kick?
One of a number of occasions where it seemed to be an obvious free to us, you look away for a moment, and look back to see the WC player with the ball.

There was some mention of him having been pushed in the back, but I didn't see it and wondered whether the commentators were making it up.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

You are all wrong about the umpiring - Derek Humphrey Smith says the review of the game indicated that the WCE only got three unwarranted frees and St Kilda got one - and that a review of all the game indicated, that even with hindsight and plenty of time, the free kick count should have been 22 - 7. So that means that WCE got 3 that they should not have and missed 2 - we got one that we should not have got and missed out on 2 for the entire game.

This is not under the pressure of the game - this is in the cold hard light of day!

81 tackles - almost all of them - WCE disposed of the ball correctly - according to the umpires advisory committee.

Get used to it - NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE - If you play for St Kilda, or support them - go and buy shares in Vaseline!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saint6709
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:You are all wrong about the umpiring - Derek Humphrey Smith says the review of the game indicated that the WCE only got three unwarranted frees and St Kilda got one - and that a review of all the game indicated, that even with hindsight and plenty of time, the free kick count should have been 22 - 7. So that means that WCE got 3 that they should not have and missed 2 - we got one that we should not have got and missed out on 2 for the entire game.

This is not under the pressure of the game - this is in the cold hard light of day!

81 tackles - almost all of them - WCE disposed of the ball correctly - according to the umpires advisory committee.

Get used to it - NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE - If you play for St Kilda, or support them - go and buy shares in Vaseline!!!!
Heard that but was driving and listening through the app and someone called me - BUT that was what unthought he said - what a massive heap of s#|+ He did say right at the end that the saints coach should be concerned after someone said the last 10 games or so of saints v Eagles has been 106 v 236 frees

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:You are all wrong about the umpiring - Derek Humphrey Smith says the review of the game indicated that the WCE only got three unwarranted frees and St Kilda got one - and that a review of all the game indicated, that even with hindsight and plenty of time, the free kick count should have been 22 - 7. So that means that WCE got 3 that they should not have and missed 2 - we got one that we should not have got and missed out on 2 for the entire game.

Derek Humpty Dumpty is borderline sociopath. They get him on and every time he delights in angering fans with his trivialising of incidents. He is like a parking inspector who delights in the frustration he causes motorists.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

You can make an excuse for almost all frees either being paid or not and depending on who your telling you'll sound believable.

Go back to the 2010 GF StKilda get a free the Collingwood player runs off kicks the ball no fifty. Saints player asks where's the 50 umpire replies I hadn't blown the whistle twice.

Later Collingwood gets a free StKilda player immediately kicks the footy and gets pinned for 50 and they goal. Saints ask why no warning umpire replies the player should have known.

How do you argue with that?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the decision against Roo in the last quarter. How can someone who is standing still and is going to be hit on the chest be blocking anther player from the contest?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Freebird
Club Player

This is counting all the 50/50's in umps favour which nearly all went to Freegles - if we had received another 20 frees for holding the ball / holding player illegally etc he would have agreed with them.

He once said "I don't know why players tackle, all they have to do is knock the ball out of the hands of the player and they will receive a free kick."

I watched many games after this comment to see if the umps would pay this incorrect disposal but no they did not.....Humphrey is not an umps apologist..We just want a fair run don't care if umps make mistakes just want them to go both ways