Terrible Trade Period

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Terrible Trade Period

We paid way, way too much here.

It's a weak draft, sure. But going into it with only one pick before 45 guarantees that we'll get nothing out of it. And it's not even particularly early; pick 14 is no better than 50-50 good player.

Next year's a strong draft? That's a shame, we've already traded away our second round pick, which will be about 20. We'll have one early pick then nothing until about 40, unless we trade aggressively. So at the moment it looks like two years in a row we'll have only one pick before 40 in the draft. That's not a good way to rebuild.

What's that, you say we also get Rice? Sure, that's great. He's probably good. The only problem is that if he's good enough to go before pick 30 in the draft, we don't have enough points to cover him so it will push back our first round pick next year. If someone bid, say, pick 25 for him, matching it would push our round 1 pick next year back 200 points, maybe as much as a whole pick (which is a lot in the first few picks of the draft). I guess we just have to hope he's not that good so no-one bids too much.

The whole thing just looks like we've done terribly. We had all the leverage in both situations and we sold the farm twice. We're betting hugely on Carlisle and Freeman, not to mention the guys already on our list. Really disappointing.

The last couple of years I've felt quietly optimistic during the off-season. Not this year.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Terrible Trade Period

we have certainly taken risks....lets be honest we wont know for a season or 2 (even if we used it on all picks) if Carlisle produces AA form and Freeman stands up.....has it really bee a devastating trade period?

Risky for sure so time will tell and yes, could be a massive flop .....please god give us a break...

“Yeah….nah””
evo
Club Player

No need for the popcorn on draft night this year...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we have done ok. But I dont know why we spent so long getting the Carlisle thing done. Youd think he was the greatest player ever with all the carry on.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

At the moment it's a pass mark. If we get Weller for 14 it'll be very good.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
suss
Club Player

We should've used 24 on Freeman and 5 on the best mid available. Freeman, Rice and Parish / Matheson would've been the best option. Maybe we still can ...

SaintWal
Club Player

If weller comes for 14 then the trade period is a success whether Carlisle falls over or not. I think that this is the best time for this to break and gets an idiot with the world at his feet to maybe realize that the golden rug is only one more line away from being pulled from under his feet forever.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:At the moment it's a pass mark. If we get Weller for 14 it'll be very good.
+ 1

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We still have pick 14. Last year we pick up Goddard and Mckenzie at 20 and 21

ripplug66
Club Player

Forgetting the Carlisle powder stuff we have done very well. Carlisle will be great for us. Freeman was a pick 10 and if he has completely overcome injury then we got him for a bargin. I actually cant work out the problem. The unbiased will give us a very good pass mark. Something tells me the white powder has changed peoples mind.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I'm a big fan of the using the draft where we are in the rebuild. With very early picks you can win huge and get franchise players that become the heart and soul of the club for 15 years. It did alarm me that we veered off our plan of keeping early picks for elite talent. There is no guarantee we won't trade away pick 14 or next years first rounder. Once finals come into calculations long term plans can go out the window.

We didn't play the Carlislse thing smart so ended up paying overs. My worry is Richo has getting a bit too much power - Carlisle seemed a lot to do with him. We have this tendency to let coaches get their own way being success starved. (Thomas basically appointing himself coach, Lyon not developing kids, Watters doing odd things with selection ) The best organisations have checks and balances to reign them in and stick to plan sas all coaches have blindspots or have a myopic view of some things.

But its all just potential at the moment. Need to see how both Carlisle and Freeman go. I wouldn't describe it as terrible unless both are washouts (CArlisle footage hasn't helped)

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I'm a big fan of the using the draft where we are in the rebuild. With very early picks you can win huge and get franchise players that become the heart and soul of the club for 15 years. It did alarm me that we veered off our plan of keeping early picks for elite talent. There is no guarantee we won't trade away pick 14 or next years first rounder. Once finals come into calculations long term plans can go out the window.

We didn't play the Carlislse thing smart so ended up paying overs. My worry is Richo has getting a bit too much power - Carlisle seemed a lot to do with him. We have this tendency to let coaches get their own way being success starved. (Thomas basically appointing himself coach, Lyon not developing kids, Watters doing odd things with selection ) The best organisations have checks and balances to reign them in and stick to plan sas all coaches have blindspots or have a myopic view of some things.

But its all just potential at the moment. Need to see how both Carlisle and Freeman go. I wouldn't describe it as terrible unless both are washouts (CArlisle footage hasn't helped)

What is the difference between the draft and trades if they can play 200 games. Actually trading may guarantee it even more.

bozza1980
Club Player

The sky is caving in, the saints pick up a ready made key defender, a top 10 pick from 2 years ago and still have a pick in the first round, what a horrible, horrible trade period.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

bozza1980 wrote:The sky is caving in, the saints pick up a ready made key defender, a top 10 pick from 2 years ago and still have a pick in the first round, what a horrible, horrible trade period.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:The sky is caving in, the saints pick up a ready made key defender, a top 10 pick from 2 years ago and still have a pick in the first round, what a horrible, horrible trade period.
Drafting is a weight of numbers game so pick 14 really isn't worth much. You want to have a good draft, you need to take a pick inside 10 and multiple inside 30. At this point we may as well trade 14 away as well.

bozza1980
Club Player

bergholt wrote: Drafting is a weight of numbers game so pick 14 really isn't worth much. You want to have a good draft, you need to take a pick inside 10 and multiple inside 30. At this point we may as well trade 14 away as well.
It all comes down to the output we get from Carlisle and Freeman.

The way I see it we have already landed two top 10 picks with the arrival of these 2 and we have pick 14 on draft day.

Time will tell....

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We praise Hawthorn when they trade players in, but when we do it............

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Personally , i think we've had a win.

Rolled the dice on hammies & a ban.
.. grab weller as well i reckon ,
if available , (with some points)
coz we need to bring in Rice without going into
debt from our '16' first rounder.

Dont seem like a disaster to me.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think we've been played pretty badly this year.

But we've made the best of a bad situation.

Pick up Weller and its a good trade period, miss him and its fair. Pick 14 might still be a decent player such is the evenness of the draft in the top 20.

We have been into and missed out on guys like Anderson, JOM, Aish, Treloar, Shiel, Sloane, Kelly and maybe Weller. Yes we got Freeman, who in return got us bad publicity and we all know what Carlisle has done.

Negative perspective would be Freeman is a figjam with 5 games in two years and Jesse Smith mk2, Carlisle attitude issues with WADA and other drug issues hanging over his head. Zero doubt this is the riskiest trade period we've been involved in for years.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Kernal75
Club Player

Let's just hand back the keys to the AFL. Surely after adding a KPP we desperately need and a top 10 draft pick from 2 years ago and still maintaining a first round selection the AFL will see that were unfit to be in the league!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon it's a great draft period by the Saints.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: It did alarm me that we veered off our plan of keeping early picks for elite talent. There is no guarantee we won't trade away pick 14 or next years first rounder. Once finals come into calculations long term plans can go out the window.
I do not follow you. I do not think we have a "plan" as you have stated = "keeping early picks for elite talent"

By "plan" I assume you mean the the one that Pelchen put in place? Which as far as I am aware is what we are still following.

If so then the "Pelchen Plan" has always included:
* Not just drafting best available kids, but also doing deals to either multiply picks and/or bring in young talent
, but who are not 18 year old kids, but who are young enough to be part of a future finals team (ie build a group of young players of similar age)
* Players who are over 18. ie Savage. Roberton, Longer, Hickey, Lee,
* Trading up with picks when there was perceived benefit. ie Both 13 and 14 were.
* Trading players - both in and out

So as far as I can see this draft period we have stuck to the "Pelchen Plan" 100%.

I think that seeking to get early draft picks is but one tactic of the the "Pelchen Plan", but it is only one of a number with out any one particular tactic having to be used in any draft period. A key aspect of the overall Pelchen Plan is to increase the value obtained with our overall picks beyond just using the draft picks gained from our laddrer finish each year.

If Carlisle (pre-video!!) and Freeman were in this years draft I would believe that both would have gone in the first round. Both have been obtained at a discount (ie we have followed the model of chasing potential top-nd talent at a discount.

In addition I would add that as we have now been rebuilding for several years that Freeman and Carlisle are both in the age range of existing young players that we have stockpiled as part of this plan. Indeed I would observe that as are several years into the rebuild that getting more players who are 20-24 makes a lotof sense to me.

Getting say JOM or Kelly next year would also be consistent with the plan.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 22 Oct 2015 9:49am, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Munga wrote:At the moment it's a pass mark. If we get Weller for 14 it'll be very good.
+ 1
What's so good about Mav's brother?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
+ 1
He doesn't do coke?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
+ 1
He doesn't do coke?
He does Pepsi

Posting 20 years of holey crap!