Aker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Aker

How would people feel about Aker as a development coach?
Could do some good work with the likes of Sinclair, Billings, Eli, Minch, Lonie, Members & Paddy imo.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-20/a ... ching-push

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Aker

He's a strange one Aker, he often seems to have a chip on his shoulder. I would't necessarily be against him at the club. Like great artists, AFL footy needs this weird arrogance from those that say "I am the best - screw the rest". He had that magic about him to do amazing, creative things. I've always felt that St Kilda have almost had this browbeaten, slightly negative approach due to our lack of premiership success. A triple premiership, arrogant-as-f@&k full of himself player may be what we need.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I find it interesting that he is almost running his own hire me recruitment campaign

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ripplug66
Club Player

Not yet but maybe if we get demoted to being an amateur club then he maybe good.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Would rather the club fold than have that f-wit at the Saints.

But I see some would like him there.

Says a lot really.

You are garbage - Enough said
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Aker is a self-made man, and he worships his maker.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Well I like him. He's smart and creative on the football field. He speaks his mind, and is not affraid to tackle 'taboo' subjects. When he suggested that opponents were using drugs the AFL and their media buddies crucified him and drove him away from the industry. A bit like Grant Thomas.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Well I like him. He's smart and creative on the football field. He speaks his mind, and is not affraid to tackle 'taboo' subjects. When he suggested that opponents were using drugs the AFL and their media buddies crucified him and drove him away from the industry. A bit like Grant Thomas.
My thoughts exactly.

AFL has too many vanillas needs more diversity/personality.

ripplug66
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Well I like him. He's smart and creative on the football field. He speaks his mind, and is not affraid to tackle 'taboo' subjects. When he suggested that opponents were using drugs the AFL and their media buddies crucified him and drove him away from the industry. A bit like Grant Thomas.
My thoughts exactly.

I actually don't mind him but my problem with him is I don't think he would make even a reasonable coach and he isn't the type a side like us should get. leave it for the clubs like Hawthorn and if failed there no one would care. if he fails with us we cop for taking a punt on a guy like him. Dayle Garlett failed and the Hawks and nothing was said. If he failed with us the media would bring up all out other failures. That's our lot in life until we finally win a second flag.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

word.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think younger players would probably learn a bit about how to play winning footy from a proven big-game premiership player who has played under a proven premiership coach

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

he would be particularly useful if you wanted someone to produce crap Will Ferrell impersonations but that's about it.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
markp
Saintsational Legend

Yeah what could possibly go wrong.

Should get fev and Carey down there too.

May as well have a trifecta of divisive f-wits if we're gonna have any.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

No thanks he would be too distractive and has a history of undermining the coach....

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

I actually don't mind him but my problem with him is I don't think he would make even a reasonable coach and he isn't the type a side like us should get. leave it for the clubs like Hawthorn and if failed there no one would care. if he fails with us we cop for taking a punt on a guy like him. Dayle Garlett failed and the Hawks and nothing was said. If he failed with us the media would bring up all out other failures. That's our lot in life until we finally win a second flag.
How can Aker be compared to a criminal convicted and jailed ice addict who has played zero AFL games?

You dont get where Aker got by accident - he clearly has some elite characteristics. I remember when he first started playing he really had no idea and average skills. He lifted himself up by the boot straps to become above elite. I think you are being quite a bit unfair. Comparing him to Dayle Garlett is plain ridiculous.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 21 Nov 2015 5:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yeah what could possibly go wrong.

Both criminals. Aker criminal record = none. I think Aker is a teetotaller.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 21 Nov 2015 5:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Aker is a self-made man, and he worships his maker.

:D Thats a good un.

But surely he has matured a bit? I mean if North Albury doesnt bring you down to earth nothing will.
What I dont like about some of the critics on here is that they assume you are the same person at 25 as at 40 and you dont change at all. It isnt locked in stone. I think that is just a bit unfair. He has immense footy knowledge and hs probably matured a lot since his abrasive youth.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 21 Nov 2015 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
markp wrote:Yeah what could possibly go wrong.

Both criminals. Aker criminal record = none. I think Aker is a teetotaller.

Even less reason to get him and less reason for his stupid comments. I think he does drink though but isn't a bid drinker.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I think all he drinks is his own bath water.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Oooophs sorry double post
Last edited by loris on Sat 21 Nov 2015 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I find it interesting that he is almost running his own hire me recruitment campaign
For years saintbrat, he never had a manger whilst he was playing with Brisbane, and he was always able to negotiate some very good contracts that suited him then. So maybe he is still doing the same????

Don't think he is the dingbat some are making out on this site.............. admittedly he might appear an arrogant so & so and has demonstrated he can be a bit of a divisive personality in a team based sport, still I enjoy the way he says what he thinks, he's his own man, not the sanitised AFL clone many players become.

I know from a personal acquaintance he does a hell of a lot for the Deaf & Dumb community, both out of his own pocket and getting high end corporates to donate generously to their association. I have had to take my friend because of her disabilities to some of the functions he has been involved in. I was told it was his blunt, direct approach that got many movers & shakers to put their hands in the wallets. All of his good work here is unheralded. So on important social issues he isn't a blaggard, just a selfless worker for a deserving community.

His wife's (I assume he is still married to her) parents are both deaf & dumb.

So I know a side of Aker that I have considerable respect for, where he has demonstrated he is not a fool nor clueless........ plus I respected him as a very skilful footballer.

Don't know about him coaching the Saints tho', we are going to come under enough media scrutiny with the Flakey Jakey this season, without Aker's foot in mouth approach to add to the press frenzy :P :P

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
saintbrat wrote:I find it interesting that he is almost running his own hire me recruitment campaign
For years saintbrat, he never had a manger whilst he was playing with Brisbane, and he was always able to negotiate some very good contracts that suited him then. So maybe he is still doing the same????

Don't think he is the dingbat some are making out on this site.............. admittedly he might appear an arrogant so & so and has demonstrated he can be a bit of a divisive personality in a team based sport, still I enjoy the way he says what he thinks, he's his own man, not the sanitised AFL clone many players become.

I know from a personal acquaintance he does a hell of a lot for the Deaf & Dumb community, both out of his own pocket and getting high end corporates to donate generously to their association. I have had to take my friend because of her disabilities to some of the functions he has been involved in. I was told it was his blunt, direct approach that got many movers & shakers to put their hands in the wallets. All of his good work here is unheralded. So on important social issues he isn't a blaggard, just a selfless worker for a deserving community.

His wife's (I assume he is still married to her) parents are both deaf & dumb.

So I know a side of Aker that I have considerable respect for, where he has demonstrated he is not a fool nor clueless........ plus I respected him as a very skilful footballer.

Don't know about him coaching the Saints tho', we are going to come under enough media scrutiny with the Flakey Jakey this season, without Aker's foot in mouth approach to add to the press frenzy :P :P
Sound like a perfect marriage. I'm jealous.

Just saying.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think younger players would probably learn a bit about how to play winning footy from a proven big-game premiership player who has played under a proven premiership coach
Better get Shane Ellen then.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You cant have a sensible conversation around here without 'rip' diving off the deep end just to pick a fight.

You can disagree or say you dont like his personality or you doubt his coaching credentials etc etc but to compare a teetotaller triple premiership player, who was probably never late for a training session in 15 years, Brownlow medalist, AFL hall of famer with 421 career goals to his name with Dayle Garlett (0 games, in jail) is simply flat out outrageous.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:You cant have a sensible conversation around here without 'rip' diving off the deep end just to pick a fight.

You can disagree or say you dont like his personality or you doubt his coaching credentials etc etc but to compare a teetotaller triple premiership player, who was probably never late for a training session in 15 years, Brownlow medalist, AFL hall of famer with 421 career goals to his name with Dayle Garlett (0 games, in jail) is simply flat out outrageous.

Seriously Con I thought you may get a joke especially as I said he has a drink but not much at all. Starting a fight. No. Starting a fight is having a go at someone for dare picking a player you have seen and who also happens to play at Sandy and having a go at that person. Especially when you now say Balic would be good for us. Funny. That is picking a fight not saying some joke about not getting a person who doesn't drink. And who even slightly compared Aker to Garlett. Next time Con actually read what is written. If you cant understand my point then it is you who has some issues.

Anyway I find it funny you lack that much self confidence that you post that first line hoping people will agree with you. man up Con and discuss on your own and don't try to get help from others.