Team from 2018-2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

Team from 2018-2020

FB Roberton Goddard Webster
CHB White Carlisle Newnes
C Freeman Armitage Billings
CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres
FF Lonie McCartin Gresham

R Longer Steven Dunstan

Int Ross Hickey Murdoch Weller Membrey Wright Rice Templeton Minchington McKenzie

Starting to look pretty good.

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Team from 2018-2020

Were 8 players short but maybe down to 6. That will come in the next year or two so things are on the up.

SMS
Club Player

will be unstoppable in 2019+. UNstoppable.

ripplug66
Club Player

SMS wrote:will be unstoppable in 2019+. UNstoppable.

Unfortunately that is very unlikely to be the case.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:FB Roberton Goddard Webster
CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres

R Longer Steven Dunstan

Int Ross Hickey Murdoch Weller Membrey Wright Rice Templeton Minchington McKenzie

Thumbs up. I quite like that side.

(I think Murdoch, Wright, Templeton, Minchington are all probably unlikely to still be around but maybe one or two of them will surprise.)
End of 2016 - We should use a Top 10 pick in the draft.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres

R Longer Steven Dunstan

(I think Murdoch, Wright, Templeton, Minchington are all probably unlikely to still be around but maybe one or two of them will surprise.)

Not if we got an offer to good to refuse. Trading away a top pick is fine as long as you get a player capable of playing around 10 years.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

add Jaeger O'Meara to that team and we're looking pretty good.
think the forward line is a little short so would take Membrey off the bench.
last season structurally for me we always looked better with him down forward.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

There has to be question marks against Freeman - will his body stand up to the rigours of footy at the highest level?
I wouldn't have McKenzie on the bench either. He will be a walk up start in 2018.
If Carlisle is a success at CHB, then the move to trade pick 5 for him and then end up with Gresham could make the difference between a top 4 position in 2019 and not making finals that year at all.
For the sentimental among us, wasn't it great to see Rice come to the club?
It appears that the spine is taking shape, but we definitely lack those all important A listers in the midfield. Hopefully we can remedy that in next years draft.
Another development bottom four or five finish year lies ahead I think, but hopefully in 2017 we can move into mid-table territory.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres

R Longer Steven Dunstan

We'll finish fourth or fifth bottom I should think, so you will get your wish.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres

R Longer Steven Dunstan

Not if we got an offer to good to refuse. Trading away a top pick is fine as long as you get a player capable of playing around 10 years.
Agree with that. 50:50 I guess whether someone comes along.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:add Jaeger O'Meara to that team and we're looking pretty good.
think the forward line is a little short so would take Membrey off the bench.
last season structurally for me we always looked better with him down forward.
Lets not let another BS rumour take over discussion for 2016. I would say Jaeger has met/had coffee with with at least 10 other clubs so lets not get carried away on this one unless there is much much more solid information forthcoming. A coffee is meaningless.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 25 Nov 2015 10:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playon
Club Player

Thats not a BS rumour its a jaxons rumour. BS tends to make stuff up and no doubt he'll claim that he started it. jaxons rumours also get posted on BF

I have no doubts we'll be trying for JOM, but as these things go, its a long way off

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Thats not a BS rumour its a jaxons rumour. BS tends to make stuff up and no doubt he'll claim that he started it. jaxons rumours also get posted on BF

I have no doubts we'll be trying for JOM, but as these things go, its a long way off
I do trust jaxons but I I am pretty sure it was a BrianSpeaking rumour - not jaxons?

And I do believe that they met for coffee - but I also think he probably met another 10 clubs as well.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Very small up forward. Hoping Membrey takes a step up. The guy shows a bit, needs to get his goal kicking in order though, and get involved in every game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Playon wrote:Thats not a BS rumour its a jaxons rumour. BS tends to make stuff up and no doubt he'll claim that he started it. jaxons rumours also get posted on BF

I do trust jaxons but I I am pretty sure it was a BrianSpeaking rumour - not jaxons?

And I do believe that they met for coffee - but I also think he probably met another 10 clubs as well.
It was Jaxons

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I love it how the Gresh and the new great White hope are in our 2018 team but are yet to play a game!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkfc1
Club Player

CHF Sinclair Bruce Acres

R Longer Steven Dunstan

Pretty sure Savage will be in our best 22 still. Im expecting him to up a gear next year.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

So if our aim is to win a flag in 2020, this is my crack at the best 22 from the current crop

B: Roberton (29), Goddard (24), Webster (27)
HB: Newnes (27), Carlisle (29), McKenzie (24)
C: Freeman (25), Armitage (32), Acres (25)
HF: Billings (25), Bruce (28), Membrey (26)
F: Lonie (24), McCartin (24), Hickey (29)

Foll: Longer (27), Steven (30), Dunstan (25)
Int: Gresham (23), Ross (27), Savage (29), Sinclair (25)

We're getting there...I think about 4 of those players need to be upgraded to be a serious contender but the rebuild is coming along nicely. We desperately need another 2 or 3 elite midfielders and we're obviously counting on some of our dozen medium defenders finding other roles because there's no room for Rice, White or Wright in that side, and that's put together assuming Geary, Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster, Murdoch and Shenton are no longer around.

To the top
SS Life Member

My take is to concentrate on what we can achieve in 2016, whilst we still have the services of Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster and Gilbert who are all class players.

I would hope that the side we can put around these experienced players will stand us in good stead in 2016 - and onwards given that the younger brigade get to play with such players.

For 2016, we should be in a position to maximise Riewoldt around the ground - with Mc Cartin, Bruce and Hickey (rotating from the ruck) as the key forwards.

And Fisher will be a luxury to the introduction of Carlisle and the development of Goddard.

Then we see who we can compliment Dempster with in the supporting defensive zone.

And who we can compliment Montagna, Gilbert, Armitage and Steven with around the ground.

So there is half a side named.

Then we get to Roberton and Webster who we would trust really consolidate in 2016 (particularly Webster needs to go to the next level because of his disposal) - and then to Billings, Acres, Freeman, Lonie, Dunstan and Newnes.

So we are up to 19 of 22.

And the rest, including those drafted the other day, can scrap it out for the remainder positions acknowledging balance.

So, what is wrong with 2016 and looking for the drivers of the future performing under the cover of Riewoldt, Fisher, Dempster, Montagna and Gilbert and doing some real damage?

I would trust that 2016 is not being written off as a "development" year including because those senior players named deserve so much more for their commitment (compared to the likes of Goddard and Dal Santo who went looking for greener pastures, so I trust that we advance past both Essendon and the ageing North Melbourne).

In terms of MSG's projected side, I have the feeling that Membrey lacks the height and "x" factor to become the ultra dangerous tall, quick silver forward who would be the icing on the cake and I view that Savage lacks the grunt and the hit.

2018 is 3 seasons off, and plenty can happen to a list over 3 years given free agents etc. etc. (both ways) hence I tend to look at each season in isolation, then improve as and where necessary for the next season.

For example, from 2015 we can now assume that Bruce can remain a forward, because we have Carlisle to add to our tall defensive options.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:My take is to concentrate on what we can achieve in 2016, whilst we still have the services of Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster and Gilbert who are all class players.

I would hope that the side we can put around these experienced players will stand us in good stead in 2016 - and onwards given that the younger brigade get to play with such players.

For 2016, we should be in a position to maximise Riewoldt around the ground - with Mc Cartin, Bruce and Hickey (rotating from the ruck) as the key forwards.

And Fisher will be a luxury to the introduction of Carlisle and the development of Goddard.

Then we see who we can compliment Dempster with in the supporting defensive zone.

And who we can compliment Montagna, Gilbert, Armitage and Steven with around the ground.

So there is half a side named.

Then we get to Roberton and Webster who we would trust really consolidate in 2016 (particularly Webster needs to go to the next level because of his disposal) - and then to Billings, Acres, Freeman, Lonie, Dunstan and Newnes.

So we are up to 19 of 22.

And the rest, including those drafted the other day, can scrap it out for the remainder positions acknowledging balance.

So, what is wrong with 2016 and looking for the drivers of the future performing under the cover of Riewoldt, Fisher, Dempster, Montagna and Gilbert and doing some real damage?

I would trust that 2016 is not being written off as a "development" year including because those senior players named deserve so much more for their commitment (compared to the likes of Goddard and Dal Santo who went looking for greener pastures, so I trust that we advance past both Essendon and the ageing North Melbourne).

In terms of MSG's projected side, I have the feeling that Membrey lacks the height and "x" factor to become the ultra dangerous tall, quick silver forward who would be the icing on the cake and I view that Savage lacks the grunt and the hit.

2018 is 3 seasons off, and plenty can happen to a list over 3 years given free agents etc. etc. (both ways) hence I tend to look at each season in isolation, then improve as and where necessary for the next season.

For example, from 2015 we can now assume that Bruce can remain a forward, because we have Carlisle to add to our tall defensive options.
Go back and watch some of our games in the final 6 rounds. The skill errors by hand and foot were sub par by any definition. Combined with a lack of pace through the middle and I think we will struggle to match it with many sides in the comp for a while yet. We need to get those periods where teams kick 6,7, 8 unanswered goals against us quickly out of our game. I'm not saying we can't win games, but I am saying I doubt we will win a third of our games. We just aren't good enough yet.I hope that Carlisle can come straight in and have an impact in the backline, but we will have to wait and see how many games he will be able to play before we can count on him.

To the top
SS Life Member

Point taken - but in what Round did we play Geelong.

I seem to recall that it was only the last couple of weeks we dropped off - including against West Coast over there?

Anyway, the point is, of Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Dempster, Gilbert, Mc Cartin, Bruce, Hickey, Carlisle, Goddard, Roberton, Webster, Billings, Acres, Freeman, Lonie, Dunstan, Newnes and Longer how many did not play in those final rounds?

So we not only look for a continuation from our established players and an improvement in those who played in 2015 (including actually being on the park) but the contributions from those we have added to our List.

Perhaps you could compare a side containing the 19 named (plus 3 on speculation) with the 22 who played against West Coast and see if you can better the 22 who played against West Coast?

I reckon we can - significantly.