What areas will we need to strengthen in 2016?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What areas will we need to strengthen in 2016?

What areas of our team will we need to strengthen in then2016 Trade and Draft Period? If we have a crack at Jaegar O'Meara and we are successful. our midfield would be pretty well set.. What else would we need?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: What areas will we need to strengthen in 2016?

borderbarry wrote:What areas of our team will we need to strengthen in then2016 Trade and Draft Period? If we have a crack at Jaegar O'Meara and we are successful. our midfield would be pretty well set.. What else would we need?
Just supporters who believe and hang in there, one's who attend matches to cheer the team on and don't get all overcome with the miseries if we take a few backward steps on our march up the ladder..

howlinwolf
Club Player

I'd like to see the next Roo emerging but not too hopeful. He's a once in a lifetime player.
Paddy is the obvious plan for FF. Maybe Bruce can sort of emulate Roo. He has a reasonable tank and is a committed trainer from all reports. I can see him as a very good CHF.
I would like to see another young draft option though to give another string to the bow. Spencer White could have been but no cigar.
Carlisle has done the job up forward for the dopers on occasion but I see him firmly at CHB/FB for us.
I think Hugh Goddard's best future is down back too.

We need more quality midfielder options as well. Recently we've had a great blend with Hayes,Dal,Ball and Monty which all gave different attributes.
I'd class all of them A grade at their best.We were dangerous when they were.
We need a similar blend that can come together as A grade at the same.
Timing is everything.
Over the journey of being a Sainter I've seen some incredible individuals play for us but no success. The last ten years of modest success has seen more of them reach their peak together.
To win a flag it has to all come together.
"A champion team" it is said gets the job done. Not a few champions.

Happy New Year to you Barry and all passionate Sainters !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that Wolf. A Happy New Year and a safe 2016 to everyone.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see us get Rory Sloane when he becomes a Free Agent in three years time, when we are ready to challenge. That would be a great get in my opinion.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
one point
Club Player

Transitioning into the forward 50. Very hit and miss in 2015.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I'd like to see us get Rory Sloane when he becomes a Free Agent in three years time, when we are ready to challenge. That would be a great get in my opinion.
I certainly don't want to wait for 3 years

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
8bloggs
Club Player

One area we need is for the next generation of leaders to stand up as contenders to replace Roo as captain.
Our other senior group of Montagna, Fisher and Dempster will be also departing in the next season or two and are out of contention for this.
From there on our most experienced group is Gilbert, Armitage, Geary and Steven who I do not see as being captain material.
Maybe Jack Newnes?
For the 2016 draft/trading more mids and maybe another key forward?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

For our future to pan out the way we all hope it will, we need

Bruce to show us he can kick 60+ goals every season
Paddy to cement his place in the side in 2016 and hit the scoreboard most weeks
Carlisle to be a contender for AA CHB or FB
Goddard to cement his spot as key defender
Freemans hammies to hold up, and for him to live up to the hype
Gresham to be rising start top 3
Need to find a 3rd tall forward for life post Roo - I don't think Membrey is the answer but would love him to prove me wrong.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

1. Stoppages
2. Clearances
3. Goal kicking accuracy
4. Overall kicking efficiency

Too much obsession/concern on here about 'replacing' Roo imho. We don't need a big hero fwd to win finals. We need three or four quality fwds all capable of kicking 40-50 goals each per season.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:1. Stoppages
2. Clearances
3. Goal kicking accuracy

Too much obsession/concern on here about 'replacing' Roo imho. We don't need a big hero fwd to win finals. We need three or four quality fwds all capable of kicking 40-50 goals each per season.
Just like Hawthorn

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We now have most of what we need except some extra real cream in the midfield.

Either by FA or by growing our own we need a minimimum of 2 elite mids to emerage/be quired.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vazelos
Club Player

Mid field, Mid field, Mid field!!!!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

In the theme of midfield, midfield, midfield - most important we need to see Sebastian Ross, Luke Dunstan, Nathan Freeman, and Jack Billings have strong seasons in the middle. So much rides on these guys carrying a load, and if they do, all other areas will benefit.

Additionally we need to see some real potential in our depth especially so considering how many players have come and gone in recent years i.e. Siposs who we all thought would turn into something pretty decent. So I'd like a surprise in the likes of Minchington and Murdoch.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Currently no elite midfielders on the list and we really need at least 2 of Billings , Gresham, Freeman, Acres, Dunstan to become elite if we are going to make massive strides in the next 3 years. We won't challenge until we get at least 2 elite midfielders.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Currently no elite midfielders on the list and we really need at least 2 of Billings , Gresham, Freeman, Acres, Dunstan to become elite if we are going to make massive strides in the next 3 years. We won't challenge until we get at least 2 elite midfielders.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I don't see the point of asking what we will target in the draft/trade period in 11 months time when we are yet to see how this season goes.

For example, I will be closely watching how Josh Bruce performs this season. If he has another really good year, then that strengthens the clubs faith in him that he can hold down a key forward role. However if he as a poor to average season, then perhaps the club looks using its high pick in the draft to draft another young big power forward. The club is very cleverly building a lot of coverage for all positions. We can't even be sure that even McCartin will make it (I think he will but there is no certainty). The reality is we have had failure after failure with developing tall forwards - Stanley, White, Lee, Markworth. And we don't want to end up relying on one big forward like we did with Rooey.

Likewise if Billings gets played in on ball a lot, and his body holds up and he copes with the endurance requirements, then the club will be more confident its got an elite quality onballer. That might lead the club to investing its top pick in a key forward to strengthen that area instead. But if Billings gets injured or doesn't show the endurance to be an onballer, then the club maybe looks at using its top pick for an elite genuine out and out midfielder.

So we need the water to go under the bridge this season before making those decisions. Patience is not only a virtue, its a requirement of squad development. You need to see which players actually develop as the reality is some won't.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Currently no elite midfielders on the list and we really need at least 2 of Billings , Gresham, Freeman, Acres, Dunstan to become elite if we are going to make massive strides in the next 3 years. We won't challenge until we get at least 2 elite midfielders.
+ 1

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Zed wrote:Currently no elite midfielders on the list and we really need at least 2 of Billings , Gresham, Freeman, Acres, Dunstan to become elite if we are going to make massive strides in the next 3 years. We won't challenge until we get at least 2 elite midfielders.
+ 1

Jack Steven is elite. He is harshly marked on here because he shanks a few. He is told to take the game on because he is the only mid with pace. If he had some class around him he wouldn't have to take the game on as much and his kicking efficiency would improve. He is the only proven player we have that every single club would want.

We need one or two more elites. I think Billings can be that elite mid and then you need to hope we recruit on in the next year. And hopefully a tall mid.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Surely Armitage is pretty close to elite, his numbers are. Every other club would want him without doubt.

It drops away after Steven & Armitage though and we need about 8 good ones in the side.

Every line needs strengthening, but hopefully we see some of that slack taken up by natural improvement from our young guys: What will we see from players like Hickey, Membrey, Goddard, McCartin, Ross, McKenzie, Murdoch, Lee…

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

2016 will be all about answers hopefully. There are too many question marks over a lot of the players brought into the squad post-Lyon-era.
I speak of Ross, Curren, Lee, Murdoch, Minchington, Shenton, Wright, Templeton and Saunders. I think at least one, and maybe as many as 5 of these players will be traded or moved on at the end of next season. Can tghey go to the next level and are any of these players in our next GF team? Because that must be the question that management have to ask.
By bringing in Carlisle to address the backline issues of the past 3 seasons and Freeman for the pace issues, the club have made some shrewd moves, but we have to wait and see whether Carlisle is available to play this year, and if Freeman can get his body right for a full scale tilt at it.
The ruck has been an interesting one, we have Longer, Hickey and now Holmes, with Pierce developing. Which one of them will be our number 1 ruckman? Having said that I was surprised to see us play West Coast with the best ruck combo in the league without a ruckman. The result was predictable.
We need an elite midfielder to replace Montagna, so should we finish bottom 3-5 in 2016 that should be the club's most pressing need.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vazelos
Club Player

Some astute posts here, you guys are all over it.
The improvement has to come from the following:
Seb Ross, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Jack Billings & Nathan Freeman.
These 5 have to play good footy this year for us to climb the ladder.
I am confident all can overcome their various challenges to take the next step- some injury & some form.
Stevens, Armitage, Montagna & even Weller are at their maximum ( Weller close to it).

I agree with Plugger 66, Stevens is elite & in a stronger mid field would have more time to steady with his disposals.
Armitage is half a mark off Elite, not far off.
This may be the last season seeing Montagna playing at the level we are accustomed him to play- he cant keep it up forever.

My only concern upfront is J Bruce, can he deliver a 50 goal season again?
I hope he can & it wasnt just a 1 season performance.

Forward line has options & some quality, Defence will stand up well with Carlisle in there.
Sam Fisher told me he is looking forward to not playing on the Gorillas.

Looking forward to 2016!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
+ 1

Jack Steven is elite. He is harshly marked on here because he shanks a few. He is told to take the game on because he is the only mid with pace. If he had some class around him he wouldn't have to take the game on as much and his kicking efficiency would improve. He is the only proven player we have that every single club would want.

We need one or two more elites. I think Billings can be that elite mid and then you need to hope we recruit on in the next year. And hopefully a tall mid.
I agree 100% Gresham could be that extra one

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:1. Stoppages
2. Clearances
3. Goal kicking accuracy

Nailed it Con, which all amounts to score board pressure and keeping us in games...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
To the top
SS Life Member

Composure, which includes support around the contest, feed and usage.

Then it comes down to game plan and where our forward options are.

Generally, I am of the view that our List includes too many who have (in my opinion anyway) just too much to do to contribute and for a range of reasons.

So I look at Templeton, Savage, Geary, Delaney, Curren, Membrey, Murdoch, Wright, Shenton and Minchington as some who need to lift significantly to contribute to tough, unrelenting and classy performances which influence the result of an AFL match.

Players who can poll in Brownlow and media awards - in a winning side.

We start with the rucks and the dependence on Hickey (including forward) and Longer (dismissing Holmes as romantic) feeding to first use by our 2 class mids, Steven and Armitage who need support from Dunstan, Acres, Freeman and Billings where each of those 4 need to emerge as elite (and, where they were drafted - all in the top 20 - indicates that this is not an unreal expectation, so they need to work and improve to that level).

If we have that depth in the mids they will bring others into the game, running to support (and defend) then delivering with precision and length.

Players like Ross and Lee (because he is being schooled back) are question marks.

For the KPP's, our hopes are with Carlisle, Goddard, McCartin and Bruce - all recent additions so we look for significant impact from each.

Throw in Lonie, Newnes, Roberton etc. and the experience of Roo, Montagna, Fisher, Gilbert and Dempster and, with some reward from the most recent drafting and trading, I would expect a strong performance in 2016.

Every season is an opportunity - and with the experienced "top end" of our List being what it is, plus who we have recently drafted with top 20 picks (Billings, Dunstan, Acres, McCartin and Goddard) and recruited (Longer, Hickey, Bruce, Carlisle, Freeman, Roberton) plus continuing development from Armitage, Steven, Newnes, Webster (most important because of pace and precision, lenght delivery from defence) et al, 2016 has distinct opportunity.

Then again, every other side is in the same position so we have to out work and achieve above the competition.