Defence structure for 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Defence structure for 2016

What is going to bde our defence structure now? The same as last year?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Defence structure for 2016

borderbarry wrote:What is going to bde our defence structure now? The same as last year?
No change :D We have a heap of options down there. Remember we also have Tom Lee and Luke Delaney playing VFL.

It is only in 2017 when Dempster and Fisher retire that we will really need Jake anyhow.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah similar to last year. Will be interesting to see how fish and dempster hold up as we relied on them a lot last year and they are losing a yard of pace. Gilbert important. Delaney is a reasonable backup and could play on a gorrilla if they think the others don't have the size to matchup. I think we've also got a tall kid as rookie so he might even be worth giving a go if we are desperate for another tall back. If Roo plays higher up the ground then he can provide some aerial cover back there.

darylcowie
Club Player

Now Tom Lee's place on our list finally makes sense, given Jake Carlisle's suspension.

Let's hope he can make the most of his opportunities this year.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote:Now Tom Lee's place on our list finally makes sense, given Jake Carlisle's suspension.

Let's hope he can make the most of his opportunities this year.
Makes sense agree. He is a back up down back. We also have Payne and Coughlan as well.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Delaney, Lee and Coughlan must be rubbing there hands together after todays news...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We also have White who is a reasonable height as well. And Dylan Robertson, He had a good year in 2015, lets hope he has a better one in 2016.

Burkey 1
Club Player

In my honest opinion I see no reason why we can"t play Rooey at CHB, he is tall, mobile, can still give us the run & still be the link up player we need, it is time to give the forward responsibilities to Paddy McCartin & Josh Bruce, it just makes sense.

Plenty of players in the past have made transitions from forward to back and even back to forward, Fraser Gehrig a perfect example.

Would be interesting to hear from fellow Sainters about this move for 2016.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Assuming his fitness and form stay sound I'd hope that Goddard is a lock - and Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert all probably pick themselves if fit. There is still a spot there for Delaney to play at FB if he is good enough.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Burkey 1 wrote:In my honest opinion I see no reason why we can"t play Rooey at CHB, he is tall, mobile, can still give us the run & still be the link up player we need, it is time to give the forward responsibilities to Paddy McCartin & Josh Bruce, it just makes sense.

Plenty of players in the past have made transitions from forward to back and even back to forward, Fraser Gehrig a perfect example.

Would be interesting to hear from fellow Sainters about this move for 2016.
Rooey's got poor lateral movement due to his dodgy knees. If he had to play on a forward, he would regularly get done over with their zig-zagging. He did drop back in defence a bit last year when he was playing higher up the ground but he was really a marking floater. And because it takes him a while to get the ball at the end of his long arms to his foot at the end of his long legs. he really telegraphs where he is kicking it so struggles to use it well out of the back. I think he might play forward again at the start of the year as we chalk up some wins and get the team confidence going. Then maybe transition a bit further up the ground in the second half of the year like last year to give Bruce and Paddy some more responsibility. Its a tricky balancing act at the moment between utilising his forward goal kicking power to win games and wanting others to have the room to step up.

footynut
Club Player

I'm reall hoping Tom lee is given a go in the ones this year. He demonstrated that he is a class above the VFL playing in defense last year. He should be given a crack so we can determine once and for all if he's worth keeping on the list.

Id be looking at a backline the looks something like below. You notice the webster has be left out, as I hope he moves up the ground.

Dempster, Fisher/ Delaney, Newnes
Lee, Goddard, Roberton

Savage on the bench