The boy most likely: Jack Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The boy most likely: Jack Billings

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: The boy most likely: Jack Billings

Testament to his talent. Let's hope he delivers.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope he stays on the park as he's also the boy most likely to get injured . Hopefully he gets a good run at it. Could be anything.

Jesse Hogan?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Jesse Hogan?
I think he's already pencilled in as a gun so it's a bit like predicting the sunrise.

Kade Kolodjasni was a pretty good call too, he has some serious weapons and looks a star. for Melbourne Viney was the guy who some probably forgot about, he looks ready to fly. Realistically GWS have about 20 guys who could all fly this year. Kelly looks set to go now, Stewart, Jack martin from GCS....they have to pick someone.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What ever happened to Luke McDonald?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What ever happened to Luke McDonald?
He had a farm.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
BigMart wrote:Jesse Hogan?
I think he's already pencilled in as a gun so it's a bit like predicting the sunrise.

Kade Kolodjasni was a pretty good call too, he has some serious weapons and looks a star. for Melbourne Viney was the guy who some probably forgot about, he looks ready to fly. Realistically GWS have about 20 guys who could all fly this year. Kelly looks set to go now, Stewart, Jack martin from GCS....they have to pick someone.
I think there is a difference between being "a gun" which lets be honest there are stacks of in the AFL, and being a guy who can crack open a game. That's what Jack has the ability to do . Like all the really dangerous players he can change the direction of a game in just 15 mins and get a huge momentum going the teams way. It's what terrifies oppo coaches. Hitting the scoreboard multiple times in the space of minutes, huge goals from outside 50, getting the crowd roaring, pieces of mecurial play, piercing kicking that opens the play up - stuff that you just can't coach against.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
He had a farm.

That was his DAD

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
A guy who can crack open a game. That's what Jack has the ability to do
The Bulldogs come-from-behind win last season was the first time I saw that. He kicked three I think in the last quarter and it could easily have been five. That is what I call star quality and it is rare. We need another couple like him and let's hope he gets a decent run without further injury.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He can't be given time and space like the dees gave him today... He will capitalise with his possesions

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
He had a farm.
EIEIO

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Showing that sort of stuff he did in the first qtr, Billings is already going to get very tight marks on him. His journey this year will be learning to be effective with a guy up his clacker all game. If he gets the freedom to move between forward line and midfield, that would give him some latitude to shake/confuse his marker. But he's also going to have to keep working on his endurance to find space and get some help from others with blocking.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

I can't believe the class he showed despite only being his 2nd game back since a major injury. Will get better as the season progresses.

The kid is the full package. He's started his career in a similar role to GAJ & will also transition into the midfield. No pressure.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's very classy....

I think he'll become a fwd/mid who can be really damaging with ball in hand.... I don't want him to become a grunt mid who gets 30 possesions at the coal face.... I would prefer 20-25 damaging possesion where he has some time and space to hurt with his left leg

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's very classy....

I think he'll become a fwd/mid who can be really damaging with ball in hand.... I don't want him to become a grunt mid who gets 30 possesions at the coal face.... I would prefer 20-25 damaging possesion where he has some time and space to hurt with his left leg

one point
Club Player

Reminds me of Ian Stewart. He could be anything, injuries permitting.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's very classy....

He'll never be a grunt mid but he needs to win plenty of his own ball - thats a good way to circumvent a tag. We don't one-dimensional "outside" players. They are too easy to shut down. Players will always have strengths but you want them to be as well rounded as possible for flexibility. I liked the way Richo commented he was really pleased when he saw Billings smashing in to win the footy. Dal Santo's good delivery was too easy to minimise in big games. There are different ways to win footy - you don't have to be a huge unit. Rioli uses his speed and tap tapping to work a contested ball into space and get clean possession.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

one point wrote:Reminds me of Ian Stewart...
Me too. Both have the same number of arms and legs.

Ian Stewart got the ball, on the ground, in the packs or in the air, and then did something with it. At the moment, Jack Billings has shown that when he gets the ball, and most of his gets in the first quarter came from easy turnovers or run ons, then he can do something with it, as along as he is within thirty metres of goal. For me, Jack Lonie was far more impressive. He's quick (one of the only quick players we have), he skilled and he's cheeky. Alas, he is also small and oppositions try to rough him up to reduce his endurance capacity.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
one point wrote:Reminds me of Ian Stewart...
Me too. Both have the same number of arms and legs.

Ian Stewart got the ball, on the ground, in the packs or in the air, and then did something with it. At the moment, Jack Billings has shown that when he gets the ball, and most of his gets in the first quarter came from easy turnovers or run ons, then he can do something with it, as along as he is within thirty metres of goal. For me, Jack Lonie was far more impressive. He's quick (one of the only quick players we have), he skilled and he's cheeky. Alas, he is also small and oppositions try to rough him up to reduce his endurance capacity.
Agree. Stewie was the best I have seen in red, white and black as an all round package. He had no weaknesses in his game.

Billings has a long way to go. Then again, it took Stewie 3 years to win a Brownlow!

Saint supporter since '62