20years ago today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

20years ago today

20 years ago today was perhaps the Greatest pre-season grand final ever played lets spend the day remembering shell we :mrgreen:

3rd 1/4 really is the Premiership Quarter

the after match fun

George27
Club Player

Re: 20years ago today

Thanks for the reminder. What a great night ! For once I did not mind the car park crush at Waverley. Got home about 2.30am. Had a few hours sleep then flew to Sydney for a social cricket match. Inspired by the boys' effort the night before, and feeling extremely relaxed , for once I got my left arm orthodox straight breaks to turn, and I ripped through the opposition ( who I admit were pretty hopeless). With apologies to the wife ( who was present for neither the footy nor the cricket) ,still rates as just about my favourite weekend of all time .

George27
Club Player

Thanks for the reminder. What a great night ! For once I did not mind the car park crush at Waverley. Got home about 2.30am. Had a few hours sleep then flew to Sydney for a social cricket match. Inspired by the boys' effort the night before, and feeling extremely relaxed , for once I got my left arm orthodox straight breaks to turn, and I ripped through the opposition ( who I admit were pretty hopeless). With apologies to the wife ( who was present for neither the footy nor the cricket) ,still rates as just about my favourite weekend of all time .

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

It's nice to get some silverware. That's why they should do NAB as a cup as it lets others win something. Sort of like the FA cup in soccer.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:It's nice to get some silverware. That's why they should do NAB as a cup as it lets others win something. Sort of like the FA cup in soccer.
It was a great night and we had been so starved of success we thought it actually meant something...Until we lost the first three games of the season and our season was off the rails.
Having seen three pre-season premierships now, I'd gladly swap them all and, any future ones, for a win in either the 2009 or 2010 grand final.

But the records show that St Kilda are the second most successful club in the pre-season competition with three cups...Equal with Carlton and one behind Hawthorn and Essendon.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Went to the game with 2 Carlton supporters,so that made it that much better.I cellebrated,they drowned their sorrows

Great night

freely
SS Hall of Fame

fantastic - thanks, mcadam. What a team! And Aussie Jones in a 29 jumper - I didn't remember that!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:Thanks for the reminder. What a great night ! For once I did not mind the car park crush at Waverley. Got home about 2.30am. Had a few hours sleep then flew to Sydney for a social cricket match. Inspired by the boys' effort the night before, and feeling extremely relaxed , for once I got my left arm orthodox straight breaks to turn, and I ripped through the opposition ( who I admit were pretty hopeless). With apologies to the wife ( who was present for neither the footy nor the cricket) ,still rates as just about my favourite weekend of all time .
Great memories George.

I think we sat together for that match.

It really meant something at the time and my dad who only lived for another month got to see the Saints do something great.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Great night, win and crowd. It was as a fan a truly enjoyable game to be at. We were building a very well-balanced team at that time.

Not at all like the joke that pre-season mataches are now.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
George27
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
George27 wrote:Thanks for the reminder. What a great night ! For once I did not mind the car park crush at Waverley. Got home about 2.30am. Had a few hours sleep then flew to Sydney for a social cricket match. Inspired by the boys' effort the night before, and feeling extremely relaxed , for once I got my left arm orthodox straight breaks to turn, and I ripped through the opposition ( who I admit were pretty hopeless). With apologies to the wife ( who was present for neither the footy nor the cricket) ,still rates as just about my favourite weekend of all time .
Great memories George.

I think we sat together for that match.

It really meant something at the time and my dad who only lived for another month got to see the Saints do something great.
We did indeed sit together , Kos, with your folks and siblings ( one of whom popped a woofer valve more than once ). Your dad Ben was a top, top bloke. He deserved to see that win.

mcadam05
Club Player

mcadam05
Club Player

even got on the cover of sports weekly

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

We parked over near the Freeway and Jacksons Rd. No trouble finding the car in the dark because we were towing a horse float and we were on our way back to Gippsland from Daylesford. White roof on the horse float really stood out.

I have a mint copy of the match on cassette which I bought but have never watched. I remember the match as Nicky Winmar's master clas in how to play football. Outstanding that night.

Saint supporter since '62
asaint
Club Player

Anyone know the guy climbing the goal post? What a great night.