Savage is a liability

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_J
Club Player

Savage is a liability

sorry to pick on guys this early but he's not part of the future. Savage really has disposal issues and kicking issues. a bit of a yoyo imo sadly his yo down is bloody costing.

Sam Fisher also very slow... can't give it to him as Dixon is half his age (just about) with JC out Sam out of position.

Blake A great at time worrying at others.. he needs time.
Hickley hats off.
Please Richo, Minchington into the middle for 2-3 kid imo could be a clearance gem. we needed it today.

Otherwise I was very impressed and surprised to see how well we played today. GO Saints!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Savage is a liability

Savage is a weird unit. Just has a few brain farts.

He is fast and tough and has good endeavour and can kick it well when he concentrates but from time to time he just kind of jogs around and makes some bizarre decision running at 1/4 pace. Seems like a concentration issue to me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Its pretty extreme to call him a liability - I thought he did pretty well today. He's a bit of double edged sword just like Weller, Roberton, Gilbo, Webster and Geary. They are pretty up and down and can be brilliant and then they can have you screaming WTF?? Ever since Savage has come I've had an issue with his decision making. He seems a bit of a headless chook sometimes. But he can really break the lines with his running and long kicking. He helped link up play with some hard running today. I'm looking forward to the development of McKenzie, White and Rice to put pressure on him, Geary and Webster.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Its pretty extreme to call him a liability - I thought he did pretty well today...
Agree. He made one bad error (maybe two, but they were in the same piece of play). He is a run and carry and kick long into the forward 50 type. The only one we have. It does make you reflect on a previous such player - Jason Gram. He could kick longer, run faster and had height, something we are badly lacking everywhere, especially on the back line. Jason Gram is currently 31 years of age.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Its pretty extreme to call him a liability - I thought he did pretty well today...
Agree. He made one bad error (maybe two, but they were in the same piece of play). He is a run and carry and kick long into the forward 50 type. The only one we have. It does make you reflect on a previous such player - Jason Gram. He could kick longer, run faster and had height, something we are badly lacking everywhere, especially on the back line. Jason Gram is currently 31 years of age.
Point well made. Gram also had the kind of physique that could have had him still playing at 31 too. He was prone to the occasional 'helicopter' but gee he was a good player.
I guess we have White, DMac and Rice coming through in these positions. Rice probably a replacement for Geary and White/DMac for Savage. A couple of years off though.

Savage will play most weeks this year and next year.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 28 Mar 2016 12:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Far too much hyperbole in this forum. He is far from a liability. He is one of our best kicks of the ball. Granted, he had an average day, but he'll bounce back next week.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was aweful with the ball today.... Jason Gram without the awareness....

He just bombed it, and coughed it under pressure

Played well against the dees, poor today

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Savage didn't have his best today, but to call him a liability is frankly extraordinary. The handball today was an aberration, albeit costly. He's generally a beautiful kick (and we need those) and I like our team a whole lot better with the steak knives, not without.

Always loyal
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He actually reminded me a bit of Raph Clarke today...

Doing ok, doing ok... EXTREME HOWLER OF A DISPOSAL... Doing ok. That was a nice play... EXTREME HOWLER OF A DISPOSAL.

The guy has all the tools, there is no doubting that, but he has to even his game out.

Guys like Shane are in the team in order to give us great run and carry, as well as pristine disposal.

We all know that Shane isn't the most accountable player... But that's ok if you're equally damaging the other way. Disposal/brain fades or whatever you call them like the ones we saw today really undermine his value.

At the moment, I would say that whilst starting 22, Shane is a player that I would hope either gets better, or gets pushed put of the 22 once a Minchington, White, Sinclaire, D-Mac etc is able to step up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I just noticed that Savage is only just 25. Still not very old and has 100 odd games to his name.

HIs best footy is still ahead of him.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Thought Savage looked a bit proppy today. He had an ankle and calf with heavy taping. Just didn't look as smooth as usual. Won't surprise me if was carrying an injury.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think he needs to be told not to think. Just get ball. Run 100% flat out for 10m and then pick first best option.

He gets himself in trouble if he tries to think and if hes not running flat out. Need to use his pace more and not waste time finessing. Look at how that Johannisen or Adam Saad play. Just see ball, get ball, sprint flat out for 10m, pass to team-mate. Dont over think it.

Id rather take the risk of a holding the ball than turning it over. At least in a holding the ball situation it stops play and allows you to get back.

supersaints
Club Player

For mine Savages issue is that his best and worst are poles apart, I've seen him disect teams with surgeon like precision. Then Ive seem him like a butcher with a blunt knife. That being said I think it's in his self belief. He seems to doubt himself quite often. This is possibly due to his lack of opportunity at the Hawks were he was dropped all the time. I think we need to put up with it during this building period if he hits his best he is very good, possibly our most deadly kick. He reminds me. Very, very much of Gram - who butchered the ball for quite some time until he was gIven a long stint without fear of being dropped. Just my opinion

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:He actually reminded me a bit of Raph Clarke today...

Doing ok, doing ok... EXTREME HOWLER OF A DISPOSAL... Doing ok. That was a nice play... EXTREME HOWLER OF A DISPOSAL.

The guy has all the tools, there is no doubting that, but he has to even his game out.

Guys like Shane are in the team in order to give us great run and carry, as well as pristine disposal.

We all know that Shane isn't the most accountable player... But that's ok if you're equally damaging the other way. Disposal/brain fades or whatever you call them like the ones we saw today really undermine his value.

At the moment, I would say that whilst starting 22, Shane is a player that I would hope either gets better, or gets pushed put of the 22 once a Minchington, White, Sinclaire, D-Mac etc is able to step up.
Good post. Agree completely. He is good enough to play in a weak side and does well against weaker opposition. But when the heat is on and we need players to step up, I'm not sure he can be relied upon to be honest, and if we're to become a really good team, we need someone to push him out of the team

To the top
SS Life Member

Not a patch on R Clarke.

For starters does not know how to position around the contest as Clarke did AND you will never see Savage taking the marks Clarke took including going back with the flight - plus Savage will never give Pavlich a "bath" as Clarke did in WA and perform as he did in the Prelim we lost to PA when he played at CHB.

Savage is at best a "front runner", exposed when he is required to stand up and be counted.

Plus has no physical presence when required to impact on the contest - and defenders always have to "go" when it is their turn.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Footy IQ very low. Always seems to bomb away instead of lowering his eyes. Extremely rare to see him hit up a target on the lead.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Yep such a really big liability today.. Where's all the baggers now!?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Does that mean he played well against the dogs? It's like you're saying he proved everyone wrong

Seriously

He played well against Port
Terrible against WB
Excellent today

He needs to try and be a consistently good player... He can play well or not

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Look what he CAN DO when he backs himself and actually uses his pace and takes them on.
I'd rather see him take them on and get caught from time to time than go into his shell and play conservative and jog backwards when he gets like in Rd 1 & 2.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He a was great today as was Fisher and Dempster. It was the midfield that won the game for the Saints. Get it out of the centre and your halfway home.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
supersaints
Club Player

Savage the surgeon turned up today, cut through them precisely he will keep improving has his belief in himself increases... Nice to watch....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Savage is a player that plays well with time and space, i.e. When the team plays well
It's called an outside player, we need them.

Saint_J
Club Player

I posted this thread based off the Port game. Last week just needs to be forgotten. Yesterday he played a great game. close to or best game he has played in our colors.

I just hope he can continue to keep some consistency. He plays an important role and we need him to be damaging and hit targets.

I'm all for constructive criticism, we need o be able to discuss things good and bad without loyalty being questioned. Lets keep it real guys we're still a long way away from a consistent side atm. If we can bring that footy to most rounds i think we can have a decent year.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think Sav is one that really benefits when all players are running hard so he has lots of support around him. He needs to have that get out option at all times as his decision making can be a bit dubious. Next week will be an acid test for him as Hawks don't give you any room or time and thats where he can panic a bit. But his speed is so valuable for us where we still lack those express speed players. If he can keep developing and become more level headed then he could be a really important player for us.

Saint_J
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I think Sav is one that really benefits when all players are running hard so he has lots of support around him. He needs to have that get out option at all times as his decision making can be a bit dubious. Next week will be an acid test for him as Hawks don't give you any room or time and thats where he can panic a bit. But his speed is so valuable for us where we still lack those express speed players. If he can keep developing and become more level headed then he could be a really important player for us.
I am really interested in seeing exactly where the Hawks currently coasting. Cats game surprised me. Hawks know exactly how good the dogs are.. interested to see if they still have their a game on point when they need it. They have been up for a while now and the drop off always comes at some point.

Not saying we will win next week but I hope if we play like yesterday we can at-least be very competitive.