Turnover Kings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

firthy
Club Player

Turnover Kings

afl.com.au has listed the turnover stats for each club and it appears we may have to start a list cloggers section for Stevens , Fisher, Montagna & Newnes -- well there you go, they also say as we grow older we will improve , I don't how the old the four of them will have to be before the improvement starts taking place.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
SMS
Club Player

Re: Turnover Kings

Surprising. But id imagine all Of those would assist or get just as many goals.
Premiership defense of White, rice, carlsisle, goddard wont be like that. ;)

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Hawthorns number one turnover merchant is Sam Mitchell, so obviously all of them are duds

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Steven (and Mitchell) get most of their stats in the coalface under pressure so I cut them some slack. Steven and Mitchell are bound to turn it over a lot because they get it a lot.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Montagna is missing targets more than usual this season. Mitchell might turn over the ball, but most of his possessions are clean and composed compared to Jack who seems to dispose in a rush or not totally composed, but the worry of any turnovers is the possibility of giving a goal to the opposition- a bit too much of it going in our games, but I guess Richo will have to keep working on it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We are playing high risk high return footy.

Turnovers will be high until the boys get fully into the groove of it, which may take a year.

Alternatively we could go chip lotto Toss Lyin style with minimal turnovers and shytefully boring footy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:We are playing high risk high return footy.

Turnovers will be high until the boys get fully into the groove of it, which may take a year.

Alternatively we could go chip lotto Toss Lyin style with minimal turnovers and shytefully boring footy.
Hurrah for common sense.

You are garbage - Enough said
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Jack has always been a Clanger kick .... Normally on the run, he doesn't compose or balance with the ball.

Only Gilbert, Geary and possibly Webster are worse

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Hurrah for common sense.
Ah, the voice of reason. Very underrated and (at times) rare on this forum.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:afl.com.au has listed the turnover stats for each club and it appears we may have to start a list cloggers section for Stevens , Fisher, Montagna & Newnes -- well there you go, they also say as we grow older we will improve , I don't how the old the four of them will have to be before the improvement starts taking place.

Mids rank high for most clubs for the obvious reason that they are mainly always under the pump.
Hawks highest is Sam Mitchell. Not sure Sam will improve any :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

In this week's Members Video from Richo, he mentioned the turnovers and his response was perfect.

It was along the lines of, if we miss an aggressive kick, we don't put that option away, we work on and get it right next time.

Love that attitude. Don't just do what is safe. Take on the situation, and either reap the benefits of success, or learn the lessons of failure.

We'll turn the ball over plenty, but gee are there gonna be some times when it comes off and we'll be scintillating to watch.

Milne
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Jack has always been a Clanger kick .... Normally on the run, he doesn't compose or balance with the ball.

Only Gilbert, Geary and possibly Webster are worse
Webster is a decent kick?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Webster is woeful

Turns the ball over with regularity, I've seen him chunk it back with a 30m kick in

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Webster is woeful

Turns the ball over with regularity, I've seen him chunk it back with a 30m kick in
Webster was great against Collingwood

24 possessions at 92% - 7 marks - 5 tackles

Reckon he is just starting to find his feet and will be a very good player down the track

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:

Reckon he is just starting to find his feet and will be a very good player down the track
He also went at 85% DE and 83% DE the two weeks before that and has had a combined 3 clangers in 3 games so far this year

So much for his disposal being woeful :roll:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saint-stu
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

He also went at 85% DE and 83% DE the two weeks before that and has had a combined 3 clangers in 3 games so far this year

So much for his disposal being woeful :roll:
Is there another Webster I don't know about? Jimmy (along with JB, Sav and maybe Newnes) is one of our best. Penetrating and accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

1ac46a38
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:afl.com.au has listed the turnover stats for each club and it appears we may have to start a list cloggers section for Stevens , Fisher, Montagna & Newnes -- well there you go, they also say as we grow older we will improve , I don't how the old the four of them will have to be before the improvement starts taking place.
I can't find these turnover stats you speak of on the afl site but, can I ask, are they just talking totals because that is crap?

We need to see the percentages as the midfielders will always have more possessions but not necessarily stuff more of their possessions up as other players.

Example
40 possies, 10 stuffed up = 25% clangers
20 possies, 8 stuffed up = 40% clangers

The midfielder has had more clangers but the other player has stuffed up more of his possessions.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
#gosaintas
Club Player

Big Mart is clueless. Webster is a beautiful kick.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Webster is one of the best kicks in the team.

These are the types of posts that make me question whether you watch any football at all.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Hurrah for common sense.
Ah, the voice of reason. Very underrated and (at times) rare on this forum.
Adding to the above, our game plan is very physical. Pressure at every opportunity in every position. A lot of our turnovers occur very quickly after CAUSING a turnover. Kicking under pressure is one thing, kicking under pressure while FATIGUED is another thing over the top.

Our disposal efficiency has been reasonably consistent through the four games this season. If you compare the Bulldogs game to the game against the Filth, they are quite similar. Big difference comes with how the opposition handle the errors. The dogs hammered us as they play a similar, fast moving game that requires accuracy, which they have in spades. The Filth had no idea what they were doing so we punished them. The average St Kilda player this season is running at 73.7% disposal efficiency... 2.5 Clangers per game. We need to improve.

If we are going to play "high risk" then you need to be tip top, or get punished the other way.

We are getting our hands on the ball a lot more so far this year, with only the bulldogs getting it more than us. Averaged to round four, we are (roughly) 13% up on disposals on last year. 24% more handballs than the same time last year also. But we undo so much of it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
degruch
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:It was along the lines of, if we miss an aggressive kick, we don't put that option away, we work on and get it right next time.
Which is precisely why he put the losing (versus) Bulldog's team more or less back on the part the next week...I love his attitude, it's about building team confidence and rewarding the risk taker.

As for turnover, I dealt with this in a thread a few days back, it's BS stat unless your key backs are the main stat getters. You'd expect your hottest mid to have higher turnovers and your backmen to be the highest points from turnover villains. Common sense, but no need to panic.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Turnovers are part of the game, but it seems at the moment that our turnovers are resulting in opposition goals- that we must stop.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Turnovers are part of the game, but it seems at the moment that our turnovers are resulting in opposition goals- that we must stop.
It will.

It's a very long term plan that Richo has.

Will result in many losses, but if it all works to plan by 2018 we will be another Hawthorn in the making

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think any future Saints jumpers should have a target on the chest. Turnovers to me anyway are just plain bad football, the worst of all, not a learning experience, and those who persist in bad footy go to the VFL to straighten out their faults. Ruthless, but I would rather win close games now than wait for years for some miracle cure when current coaches and players have moved on...it's an easy cop out.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think any future Saints jumpers should have a target on the chest. Turnovers to me anyway are just plain bad football, the worst of all, not a learning experience, and those who persist in bad footy go to the VFL to straighten out their faults. Ruthless, but I would rather win close games now than wait for years for some miracle cure when current coaches and players have moved on...it's an easy cop out.
Is the Hot Cross Bun close enough to a target? - aim for the cross hairs?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!