Sam Gilbert

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Sam Gilbert

FML! Can anyone give me three reasons this guy is still in the team....???? He is a disaster.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert

The Recruit wrote:FML! Can anyone give me three reasons this guy is still in the team....???? He is a disaster.
No-one else with height.
He is on a big contract.
He has incriminating photos of Nick.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the crap threads are starting already

The Recruit
Club Player

Nothing in that 2nd quarter helped his cause...he has absolutely no football smarts and he can't kick....Gilbert out Roberton in..

The_President
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:FML! Can anyone give me three reasons this guy is still in the team....???? He is a disaster.
Shut up

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For me it's been a head scratcher since 2011.

Sam Gilbert is a senior player. He won't be part of the next push for a flag. He should keep his spot only if he is playing good football.

He will play his 5 good games and everyone will yammer on about the alleged things he brings to the team. He's average though.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Terrible foot skills. Undeniable.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Recruit
Club Player

And again in the middle.....seriously what a dud

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ideally by end of season Lee keeps robertons spot and Roberton takes Gilbert's.

loris
Saintsational Legend

At one time Gilbert's tackles used to stick, so one could occasionally forgive his missed targets with foot and hand. Now his tackling skills are practically non existent. As soon as Roberton is fit, I think Gilbo might not find a permanent place in the team - his turnovers result in a couple (often more) of goals gifted to the opposition each week.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Hard to defend Gilbo today even though I love his gut running efforts. His handballing, appart from one, was worse than his kicking today. And his kicking today wasn't great.

As a midfielder he is really up and down. When the team is up and firing he seems to do well but when the chips are down he looks ordinary. I guess he gives us a bigger body in the midfield we are lacking but I don't know if that is enough any more. With Goddar, ACres, Gresham, Freeman, White, Rice, Dmac all coming through, the pressure is rising on gangly Gilbo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though a third or more of the team were a lot worse than Gilbert today.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Though a third or more of the team were a lot worse than Gilbert today.
And here come the rationalises again, as has been happening every time Gilbo is questioned...

Are a third of the team is Gilbert's age bracket with the same level of expectation on their performance as Gilbert should have on him?

Let me ask you this, and please be honest. Did Sam Gilbert play close to a standard that you would expect for a player of his skill or experience? Yes or no please.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Though a third or more of the team were a lot worse than Gilbert today.
So he isin the bottom 30% of a bottom 6 side?
I agree. That is accurate.
Where I dissent is the people who still think Gilbert is a star based on his stellar 2010 when he was indeed a star. That is 6 years ago however.
How much are we paying him?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Where I dissent is the people who still think Gilbert is a star based on his stellar 2010 when he was indeed a star. That is 6 years ago however.
I think we just have to acknowledge that you and I Con, + maybe 5 others think like this. The rest of the forum think he is an elite backmen that can go into the midfield and kick goals.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
His 2010 was average. His 2009 was good.

The rest of it has been somewhat injured and underwhelming. He cannot kick for s***.

I must be one of the other five. He is average in a below average side.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

2 weeks ago he was a hero. When we lost Roo and Paddy he went forward to offer a taller option, and it worked a treat.

Sam is one of those footballers who needs simple instructions. Amongst those simple instructions should be, never, ever try to pin point short kicks.

When Richardson said after the Dorks game, that we'd continue to take on the high risk kicks, he missed the f***ing point - good kicks might be able to do it, but those less than good kicks should NEVER do it - IT'S A FREAKIN' RISK REWARD EQUATION! Simple - once the ball gets given back, particularly against sides who use it well, we're stuffed.

Sam goes OK by foot once he goes at least mid distance. But, short? FFS - he's never been any good at it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Sam Gilbert is not the best player in our squad, but I'm pretty sure he's in our best 22.

Everybody knows our backline is under-maned, under sized and underskilled. Our midfleld lacks depth, and our forward line lacks a versatile tall forward.

Gilbert has size and pace, he can mark and tackle and he's versatile.

Thats why he's in our team.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote:Sam Gilbert is not the best player in our squad, but I'm pretty sure he's in our best 22.

Everybody knows our backline is under-maned, under sized and underskilled. Our midfleld lacks depth, and our forward line lacks a versatile tall forward.

Exactly. He isn't the player he once was but unfortunately we don't have anyone good enough to push him out and keep him out. Not dissimilar to Geary who also won't be part of our finals push but is better than what we currently have at Sandy.

Our depth isn't there yet but guys like Acres, Mckenzie, White may be the ones who eventually displace Gilbert and Geary.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I don't really know what he brings to the table.

Since he was figured out around about 2010/2011 he's been largely underwhelming. He'll play 3-4 reasonable games a year, miss a bunch through injury, and the rest of the games he plays in are all full of shocking decision making, horrible disposal and poor ball handling.

The Saints are coming!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Car Park Marfia at it's best, some of us have your back Gilbo!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintbob
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote:Sam Gilbert is not the best player in our squad, but I'm pretty sure he's in our best 22.

+ 1

Weller, Lonie and Geary are the ones who's positions should be questioned!!!

stkfc1
Club Player

This is the reality of the situation but also agree that to move forward we need to be phasing players like Gilbo out. There is too much of a gap between his good and bad. Its a shame because his good is really good but the opposite is also true.To be a great team we need consistency across the board and at the moment we have too many players eg Gilbert,Geary(who played well yesterday),Lonie,Minch,Mav and a few others who's disposal and form are too inconsistent. Tie this in with our lack of run out of HB and we are on Struggle St. We must persist with Lee as we need to fast track our next defensive six. Dempster and Fisher have had their time unfortunately. I dont think Gilbert holds his spot when Roberton comes back.There is no quick fix here. We need players in VFL whos form is demanding a spot. Looking at you HG, DMac,Gresh and Acres!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Gilbo has to be the sacrificial "old" lamb if all the other oldies are automatic inclusions for the rest of the year. We are meant to be a developing team that is bringing through youth. Yesterday we had a lot of good young players in the Sandy game - Goddard, Curren, Gresh, Eli, Murdoch, Dmac, Pierce, Longer, White & Rice (those last two probably not ready for AFL).