Team v Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v Roos

Murdoch Lonie Goddard in. No outs

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Roos

Rd7 teams named
St K v NM
Murdoch, Goddard, Lonie into 25
Nahas, Daw, Mullett, McKenzie, Wood in for Thomas, Turner.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Message to Tommy Lee. Start thinking about 2017. Freo or Claremont?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

See ya Tom!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Saintsational Legend

Bit soon i think.

Richo has shown that he gives second chances. Lee just has to do the work

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Message to Tommy Lee. Start thinking about 2017. Freo or Claremont?
That is very harsh considering he played well in both senior games

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't think there'd be a change

Unless someone's sore

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Message to Tommy Lee. Start thinking about 2017. Freo or Claremont?
Sorry. Slight misinterpretation. I personally didnt think he should have been dropped. I think he played well. Cameron kicked 5 from 62 f50 entries and Lee was dropped then Hogan kicks 7 from only 55 entries and noone gets the blame. Crickets.

It seems like Lee is the scapegoat. My point is if the coaches wont select him this week against Brown, Petrie and Waite I assume the coaches have stamped his papers. It doesnt bode well for him as a Saint. For the record I also think he played well. But he clearly isnt in the Coach's favourite books if he cant get a go this week. I think the coaches were a bit harsh on Tom.

lewdogs
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Sorry. Slight misinterpretation. I personally didnt think he should have been dropped. I think he played well. Cameron kicked 5 from 62 f50 entries and Lee was dropped then Hogan kicks 7 from only 55 entries and noone gets the blame. Crickets.

It seems like Lee is the scapegoat. My point is if the coaches wont select him this week against Brown, Petrie and Waite I assume the coaches have stamped his papers. It doesnt bode well for him as a Saint. For the record I also think he played well. But he clearly isnt in the Coach's favourite books if he cant get a go this week. I think the coaches were a bit harsh on Tom.
I somewhat agree with you, however, let me just point something out.

The three players dropped last week (yes lets not fluff with this McCartin managed crap) had 0 tackles.

Lee has gone back to reserves and gotten... yep 0 tackles. So basically he won't be coming in until he works on that stat you can basically bookmark that.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Understandable that Lee would be disappointed. He has done well in his two games. Goddard has the height, but not sure that his current form is great, although I nominated him earlier in the week.

We need additional height on the backline this week and it looks like Goddard. Let's hope that he plays well - but it will be tough first up against the top side. His extra height for bringing the ball to ground, may have been his primary selection criteria.

stkfc1
Club Player

lewdogs wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

The three players dropped last week (yes lets not fluff with this McCartin managed crap) had 0 tackles.

Lee has gone back to reserves and gotten... yep 0 tackles. So basically he won't be coming in until he works on that stat you can basically bookmark that.
Spot on. Its not just what you do with the ball its also what you do without it and I noticed at the GWS game TL did a lot of ball watching. I remember thinking in tbe early part of the game he seemed to be running on the spot not pushing hard in either direction. He got better as game wore on and got himself in better positions but coaches want that for 4 quarters not 2 and a bit. Also noticed he cant tackle. Few half arsed attempts but not good enough for someone trying to keep his spot. Should have been going in like a freight train. Still think he's worth persisting with. I think he's got the tools. Just needs a bit of mongrel. His nice guy persona isnt helping his AFL career.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Trying to work out Richo's criteria for players to get a game.. looks like you need to lay a lot of tackles rather than worry about poor disposal or decision-making under pressure, or winning one-on-one marking duels. I'll keep working on it...I'm sure there's some logic in it.

bbm
Club Player

It's pretty simple really. Follow team rules, be selfless, and play your role. The handling of Blake Acres is a perfect example- hre is now a NAB rising star and even he admits he has to work on certain aspects of his game to be a good AFL footballer.

evo
Club Player

Good to see Minch hold his spot. Some of his clearances in the third qtr were excallent IMO.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Good to see Minch hold his spot. Some of his clearances in the third qtr were excallent IMO.
Team to be finalised tomorrow arvo/evening so he's not safe yet although, you'd think a 6 goal win should be enough to make it a "No Change" team (unless there is an injury of course).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
evo wrote:Good to see Minch hold his spot. Some of his clearances in the third qtr were excallent IMO.
Team to be finalised tomorrow arvo/evening so he's not safe yet although, you'd think a 6 goal win should be enough to make it a "No Change" team (unless there is an injury of course).
Mav might be in trouble though.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You'd reckon we might look at more height and strength in defence to combat Waite and Petrie etc. I see Goddard listed on the extended bench though I understand he hasn't really been knocking the door down. Will be interesting. Richo might go for more run, we'll see.

Meanwhile I saw an interesting stat that we've not won a final quarter this season. What's going on there to you think?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Haven't seen so much hand wringing about non selection since Tommy Walsh

avid
Club Player

I'm still hoping Tommy Lee makes it. I'm disappointed ha's not being given a chance.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Lee looks like he is holding back when it comes to the physical aspects of the game. Injury fatigue! After the run of injuries he's had it must be hard to commit to a tackle. He isnt physical enough for any of Norths talls. He tends to want to recieve ball than go and get it and tries to time a defensive punch as apposed to bodying for position. I think he lacks power too. Goddard is a very different prospect and will probably get Brown.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Lonie for Gresham the only likely change, if any.

gone fission
Club Player

lewdogs wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

This is just a cop-out to make an example of a guy playing just his second game in 2 years.

6 players failed to lay a tackle against GWS including Montagna & Savage who were around a lot more of the play than Lee.

It's only a "non-negotiable" if you apply it to everyone.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Monty is not the player he was- just a good serviceable player now, and his disposal has gone off from the precision kicking and handball he once had, Fisher and Dempster in the same boat, but at some stage age catches up with the best.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

spert wrote:Monty is not the player he was- just a good serviceable player now, and his disposal has gone off from the precision kicking and handball he once had, Fisher and Dempster in the same boat, but at some stage age catches up with the best.
You've got to be kidding!!! all three have been unbelievable his year, Joey has found a new lease of life off half back, him and Savage have been brilliant with their run and carry and disposal. As for Fisher and Dempster, we would have been lucky to win a game if not for these two, they have both played out of their weight division and have hardly been beaten all.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Monty is not the player he was- just a good serviceable player now, and his disposal has gone off from the precision kicking and handball he once had, Fisher and Dempster in the same boat, but at some stage age catches up with the best.
Interesting observation. I'm certain Joey would be in our top 5 in each of the first three games. Clear best on ground against Collingwood. He's not at 09-10 levels, but he's not far off.