Ken Sheldon on Open Mike

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ken Sheldon on Open Mike

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... d85a428159
Sheldon admitted it was a challenge dealing with Lockett as a player because he was different from the rest, but said allowing the star forward to indulge in his passion for greyhounds was a key part of it all.

“We’d let him shoot up to Orange and places like that,” he said.

“(But) when you play elite football and you are sitting in the car for nine or 10 hours, eating dim sims, it can be a bit hard.

“I used to allow that, but the media would beat it up that he wasn’t at training. But we were working together behind the scenes.”

Sheldon, a three-time Carlton premiership player, also spoke about his years with the Blues, including being on the receiving end of Wayne Harmes’ famous tap in the dying moments of the 1979 grand final.

KEN SHELDON’S OPEN MIKE WILL AIR ON TUESDAY NIGHT AT 8:30PM

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ken Sheldon on Open Mike

Those sort of special allowances didn't occur in Sydney and as amazing as it sounds... The reason why he never realised his full potential for prolonged periods

Tail wagged the dog due to weak leadership

Lockett was not in charge, but was allowed to feel as though he was the king... Supporters worshipped him more than the team... As did the club

If he had discipline in his prime... God knows what he might have achieved

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps.

Or perhaps he would've walked away.

We'll never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Perhaps.

We'll never know.

That's right Doc

Sent from Plugger's Dim Sim filled Holden

Moods
Saintsational Legend

We'll never know.

Agree Doc.

It's a fine line. Brilliant players in ALL sports are treated differently. You reckon MIchael Jordan was treated the same way as the 12th bloke on the Bull's roster? Coaching is as much about man management as it is about knowing the technical side of the game.

I'm not a big Mick Malthouse fan, but apparently this was his specialty. It's about mutual respect going both ways, ie you give the stars a couple of extra allowances here and there and they perform for you as a result, and if the 25th bloke on the list doesn't like it - stiff s***.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I would assume the latter.

Nevertheless, it was this type of thing which helped foster the bad culture that riddled our club for about thirty years.

That said, I liked Ken Sheldon in his time at St.Kilda. He was a handy veteran to have on the field. It was quite courageous of him to put his hand up for the coaching gig after Doc. He took us to the finals for the first time in almost two decades. I'll always be thankful for his contribution to St.Kilda FC. Probably the best thing for us to come out of Carlton.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dunno...

Wow Jones had a pretty good Mo.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Saw the shorts......I have spoken to Bomba about the Plugger leaving the club thing...he says on open mike exactly what he said to me.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:

We'll never know.

That's right Doc

Sent from Plugger's Dim Sim filled Holden
Ah I laughed so hard at this. Thanks for the laugh

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Special treatment is one thing, but allowing a sportsman to miss training and to be putting strains on his body with the excessive driving etc. is not going to benefit the player or the club in the long term. I disagree that if the club was more professional that he would've left. He probably would have stayed and he wouldn't have been so spoilt. We spoilt him so much that he started forgetting why he was so well paid.

Was he going to throw away his career and stop earning a squillion because the club demanded discipline and professionalism? What a load of crap. I reckon Plugger understands that the move to Sydney is what helped him become a legend. The professionalism that they demanded helped prolong his career and ultimately helped him to become the highest goalkicker in VFL/AFL history.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Special treatment is one thing, but allowing a sportsman to miss training and to be putting strains on his body with the excessive driving etc. is not going to benefit the player or the club in the long term. I disagree that if the club was more professional that he would've left. He probably would have stayed and he wouldn't have been so spoilt. We spoilt him so much that he started forgetting why he was so well paid.

Was he going to throw away his career and stop earning a squillion because the club demanded discipline and professionalism? What a load of crap. I reckon Plugger understands that the move to Sydney is what helped him become a legend. The professionalism that they demanded helped prolong his career and ultimately helped him to become the highest goalkicker in VFL/AFL history.
Plugger wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed...prone to violent outbursts. would have been incredibly hard in the early days to contain him..as he matured and saw the big money and what he had to do get it he reformed.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I realise the club just didn't want to risk upsetting him and I wouldn't be blaming Tony. I blame the club. The episode of Open Mike with Russell Greene helped me remember how bad the Saints culture was in the 80's and Plugger was recruited in 1983.

We were a rabble of a club at the time and needed to retain our superstars to attract the fans. They weren't paying to come and watch us win were they? Maybe if club bosses along with his captains and his coaches gave him tough love and discipline from the start he would've respected that and just towed the line.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That's what the art of leadership is???

Not to bow down, or suck up to stars... Acknowledge they are important but they must adhere to standards like everyone else

It's about teaching.

If he came through Hawtjorn .... Holy hell! He'd have kicked well over 2000 and they'd have won another flag or 2.

Darth Vader
Club Player

BigMart wrote:That's what the art of leadership is???

Not to bow down, or suck up to stars... Acknowledge they are important but they must adhere to standards like everyone else

It's about teaching.

If he came through Hawtjorn .... Holy hell! He'd have kicked well over 2000 and they'd have won another flag or 2.
Or been like Gary Ablett and dumped for not training properly.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

After Yabby left (1976) the club pretty much went into free fall - professionalism and respect went out the window

Yabby went to Hawks in 1981 and look what happened there

Did other clubs get more professional or did we just have a bunch of piss heads playing for the club and running the club??

I know we came under severe financial pressure in 79 - what was the cause of this?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:After Yabby left (1976) the club pretty much went into free fall - professionalism and respect went out the window

Yabby went to Hawks in 1981 and look what happened there

Did other clubs get more professional or did we just have a bunch of piss heads playing for the club and running the club??

I know we came under severe financial pressure in 79 - what was the cause of this?
I shook the SOS tin.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Completely random but I found this while trying to look up some Saints history - good reading from 1978

Article (at top of page) about Robbie Muir getting 8 weeks at the tribunal (in a VFL reserve game) and another article re: the Essendon club president apologising for calling us "animals" after the 78 bloodbath

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 8296&hl=en

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:Completely random but I found this while trying to look up some Saints history - good reading from 1978

Article (at top of page) about Robbie Muir getting 8 weeks at the tribunal (in a VFL reserve game) and another article re: the Essendon club president apologising for calling us "animals" after the 78 bloodbath

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 8296&hl=en

Great find.

If I recall this was the game where Merv Neagle's parents also had plenty to say. Big Carl - and I am really testing the memory - went walkabout to his bush shack and the Saints ran completely off the rails. We finished the season like a steam train and missed the finals by half a game after flogging Carlton at Moorabbin. Best on ground in that game? None other than Robbie Muir! He buried the Blues early with his ferocious tackling. It was the game where Dennis Collins got his smart mouth shut by Robbie - who copped ANOTHER 4 weeks!

Reading the tribunal report shows how far society has come in the 38 years since - no way would the player advocate get away with the drudge he is quoted as saying.

1978 - we could have won the flag had it not been the form slump that followed the infamous Essendon match. Only StKilda!

Saint supporter since '62
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Darth Vader wrote:
BigMart wrote:That's what the art of leadership is???

It's about teaching.

Or been like Gary Ablett and dumped for not training properly.
Exactly.

The reality is those personality quirks that guys like Plugger and Ablett had no doubt contributed to how they performed.

Laying down the law may have seen them leave or lead to them being traded. Or they may have changed their behaviour and knuckled down, but in doing so lost that little edge that made them freaks.

Plugger may well have kicked 2,000 at Hawthorn. But he may have only kicked 1,000 or 500. We simply will never know.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What

Plugger being undisciplined and overweight was a positive

Come on
If he understood that work rate was the only way he could ever reach his potential .... If he was taught that by a great mentor
He would have achieved the ultimate success, because with that belief comes an inner calm and a performance level that doesn't lead to frustration.

There's also a bit of a reason Plugger and Gary weren't involved in any team success... The teams revolved around them.

Who did Hawthorn revolve around?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Most people don't know with certainty how theoretical situations would play out.

You do.

Congratulations.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Barry Breen ‏@barry_breen Sydney, New South Wales
Open Mike delivers again. Kenny Sheldon magnificent and he is a Saint.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Confirms his football iq saying locketts the best he's seen.

Bring back the Lockett era
Club Player

BigMart wrote:What

Plugger being undisciplined and overweight was a positive

Come on
If he understood that work rate was the only way he could ever reach his potential .... If he was taught that by a great mentor
He would have achieved the ultimate success, because with that belief comes an inner calm and a performance level that doesn't lead to frustration.

There's also a bit of a reason Plugger and Gary weren't involved in any team success... The teams revolved around them.

Who did Hawthorn revolve around?

Plugger was coached and mentored by Darrel Baldock. Hard to find a better mentor anywhere.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thought Kenny was excellent, terrific sensitive interviewing from Mike.

Jonesy, get back to the Essendope thread where your fabulous insights will be more greatly appreciated.

Saint supporter since '62