Changes v Demons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Demons

In: Billings, Sinclair. McCartin
Out: McKenzie, Wright, Minchington

Tough on the outs, I know, as other more proven players such as Savage and Dempster were similarly putrid or just AWOL. Minchington a bit stiff but we have some class to get in.

Bruce had a stinker and it is tempting to drop him back into defence for a period. Delaney stays only for the lack of a big defender alternative, but I worry about the result if Hogan gets hold of him. We'll need a Plan B.

McCartin in because we can't rely on just Membrey to kick a bag to get us over the line. That and because they've got to stop treating him like some sort of an invalid due to his diabetes.

It's an eminently manageable medical condition FFS. Whack a helmet on him and tell him that discretion is the better part of valour and get him back out there.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Demons

I think in the presser Richo said Paddy won't play against the Dee's and may even miss the following game as well.

They are being ultra cautious and it's all because he's had 3 this year, even though most have been minor.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

How long does a minor concussion take? I thought a week would do it.

Riewoldt would have missed 30 games over his career if the current concussion guidelines were in place at the time. I understand the club's duty of care etc, but let's not overdo it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:How long does a minor concussion take? I thought a week would do it.

Riewoldt would have missed 30 games over his career if the current concussion guidelines were in place at the time. I understand the club's duty of care etc, but let's not overdo it.
It's a different era now and he's a kid with type 1 diabetes, a no. 1 pick with high expectations just starting out.

The biggest issue is HOW and WHY is he getting concussed so easily from very minor knocks? He simply can't keep going along with this trend. Something needs fixing to stop it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:How long does a minor concussion take? I thought a week would do it.

It's a different era now and he's a kid with type 1 diabetes, a no. 1 pick with high expectations just starting out.
Obviously I can't speak for Paddy, but if it were me I'd be appalled if I were treated any different from anyone else because of a medical condition that is, as I said, eminently manageable.

Is the answer to wrap him in cotton wool and have him thinking he's some sort of invalid? It's a toughie.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Out: McKenzie, Wright, Minchington, 8cres (hate to do the last one but but he's not coming along too much at the moment)
In: Billings, Sinclair. Webster (if fit obviously), Lonie.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

In: McCartin, Billings, Sinclair, Templeton and (if fit) Webster

Out: Minchington, Wright, Acres, Montagna and (if Webster is fit) Gilbert.

If Gilbert keeps his spot, then I'd think about dropping Delaney and playing Riewoldt at CHB.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Templeton, Billings and Sinclair will play. Minchington, Acres and Wright won't. There is no way they will play the other two before Templeton.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:I think in the presser Richo said Paddy won't play against the Dee's and may even miss the following game as well.

They are being ultra cautious and it's all because he's had 3 this year, even though most have been minor.
Well the question is, are they been scientific about it or is their caution more to do with arse covering. Because if McCartin is fine and his issues haven't been concussion or just due to a run of bad luck, then an uber cautious approach might just stuff around his confidence.

I wonder if Kosi ever recovered from 2006 when everybody went ape s*** about his skull (with Caro leading the charge). That crap went on for most of that year, including so called serious questions about a neurological disorder when he bumped into an umpire (who had gotten in his way) at a ruck contest!

Of course there were no dire neurological issues, that was always speculative sensationalism and he ended up playing for another 6 seasons. He was never the same again.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

You obviously don't understand all sports reaction to concussion these days.

The world has moved on from the biff world that you seem to favour by your comment above

It is an absolute duty of care, we are talking about the welfare of young men and their health for the rest of their lives

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
lintonstreet
Club Player

In: Billings Sinclair
Out: Minch Acres

Templeton I feel may being sent a message.
Wrighty was fantastic with his speed and pressure yesterday and won't be going anywhere.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:

The world has moved on from the biff world that you seem to favour by your comment above

It is an absolute duty of care, we are talking about the welfare of young men and their health for the rest of their lives
So a month for every minor concussion? Or does it apply only to type 1 diabetics?

shrodes
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:

So a month for every minor concussion? Or does it apply only to type 1 diabetics?
The fact is we're still learning about what concussions do long term. It's not like a break or tear where we have many decades of experience in treating and diagnosing. Can't blame clubs and doctors being cautious over player welfare when the effects are unknown. Even with how cautious we are now, sadly there's every chance we'll see a number of former players suffer from brain health problems in years to come.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Well I guess we may not see Savage for three weeks or so. He went off after a heavy knock. So if he's out who plays his role in defence?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Out: Delaney, DMac, Acres
In: Templeton, Sinclair, Murdoch

shrodes
SS Life Member

freely wrote:Out: Delaney, DMac, Acres
In: Templeton, Sinclair, Murdoch
Who's going to play on Hogan?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Leigh Montagna has to be under real pressure the hold his spot. No accountability, terrible decision making and very little contested ball. His last two weeks would be close to the worst of his career.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Memo to coach:

Keep Montagna and Roo out of the backline- they haven't got a clue down there..Montagna has no idea how to play as a defender.

Bring in Pierce and Sinclair at least- a tall and a small. Bruce needs to go down back for while, he is really off his game

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Memo to coach:

Keep Montagna and Roo out of the backline- they haven't got a clue down there..Montagna has no idea how to play as a defender.

Bring in Pierce and Sinclair at least- a tall and a small. Bruce needs to go down back for while, he is really off his game
Bruce was awful as a defender.

How will being in the backline miraculously make him play better?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:. Even with how cautious we are now, sadly there's every chance we'll see a number of former players suffer from brain health problems in years to come.
Lots of people who don't play football get brain health problems. I guess there is a study on this comparing former footballers and the general populace.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
shrodes wrote:. Even with how cautious we are now, sadly there's every chance we'll see a number of former players suffer from brain health problems in years to come.
Lots of people who don't play football get brain health problems. I guess there is a study on this comparing former footballers and the general populace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_t ... phalopathy

http://www.protectthebrain.org/

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hickey definitely needs a hand. He starts off each game on fire, but by the end of yesterdays game he was being beaten by ruckmen I had never heard of.

Out.... Minchinton, Savage/Montagna, Gilbert

In... Pearce, Billings. Sinclair.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

There is no doubt in my mind D-Mac will get dropped. Feel for the kid - just mucked up a couple of kicks and both ended up in turnover goals. The coach was smashing him!

Wright, whilst impressive attack and endeavour, barely touched it.

Acres? Well there were worse than him but history would show the coach will drop him

For mine I want to see Eli, Billings and possibly sinclair come in...reckon at least 2 of the 3 above will be dropped.

#1 Ryder fan
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_t ... phalopathy

http://www.protectthebrain.org/
Thanks for that. I'm interested in the topic as it affects our players ... One more than others. I'll take the chance to educate myself

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

You have to reward good VFL form and play them at least 20% of the time where they are dominating VFL.
So Templeton, Billings and Sinclair in for
Acres (doh), Minch and Savage.
Roll one of Eli, Billings and Sinclair through all centre bounces.
Lee for Delany if match ups warrent it. Maybe not with Hogan this week
Also I can't say Dempsters name being on the team sheet excites me.