2016 delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

2016 delistings

Looking at the list and that the progression has been made to probably just miss finals ( although North could help us here) one would hope natural progression will see us in the 8 next season. That said staying the same is going backwards.

Retire: Fisher,
Out: Curren, Lee, Delaney ( Maybe although with Goddard gone for season may keep for insurance), Murdoch, Shenton, Holmes?

Carlisle goes back on list so that leaves 5 spots to fill with trades or picks. 2nd round pick already gone to Collingwood.

Out of contract/free agent options: O'Meara, Rockliff,

Sure there are a couple GWS or GC players going to pop up who aren't getting a chance or not happy.

Another bigger defender, a mid and hopefully draft a player with an X factor about him would be great to see.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2016 delistings

If Fisher retires and we dont attract another key defender then I would keep Delaney on whilst Coughlan develops.

Would love to see Murdoch trade to Adelaide for Yolman-Ellis.

Agree with the rest but its not a good year to be having too many draft picks, particularly if our 1st is traded. As I have stated else where I would draft a young ruckman this year so as to use Longer or Pierce as trade bait next year. Ruckman seem to be always strongly sought after commodities that attract solid draft picks at trade.

Gershwin
Club Player

I think you have nailed it. I'd probably drop Saunders as well from the rookie list. They seem to be pretty keen on O'Meara and who knows who else will crop up in trade week. Need to keep our first round draft pick and haven't got a second draft round pick (went for Freeman) so may have to use next years picks to trade. Otherwise just draft kids and look to get a FA next year.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Rocket
Club Player

Just mentioned Hurley on FOX Footy. Saints are right into him!!! Handy replacement for Fisher

wolfpup
Club Player

older saint wrote:Looking at the list and that the progression has been made to probably just miss finals ( although North could help us here) one would hope natural progression will see us in the 8 next season. That said staying the same is going backwards.

Retire: Fisher,
Out: Curren, Lee, Delaney ( Maybe although with Goddard gone for season may keep for insurance), Murdoch, Shenton, Holmes?

Carlisle goes back on list so that leaves 5 spots to fill with trades or picks. 2nd round pick already gone to Collingwood.

Out of contract/free agent options: O'Meara, Rockliff,

Sure there are a couple GWS or GC players going to pop up who aren't getting a chance or not happy.

Another bigger defender, a mid and hopefully draft a player with an X factor about him would be great to see.
hope we keep murdoch

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Delaney can't get a game at the moment with no Fisher, Goddard or Carlisle. He looked a long way from AFL standard vs Essendon. Lynch took 14 marks on him.

Just because your 6'4" doesn't mean you can cut it

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I cant see any practical realistic way we can get JO'M with pick 9 or 10?
Hurley obviously would be a HUGE coup because we would get him for free.

Freebird
Club Player

Hurley won't leave Essendon without them being compensated

silverhalo
Club Player

I really don't want Hurley!

loris
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:I really don't want Hurley!
For some reason I have a lingering thought in my mind there may had been something written a few years ago about issues between Hurley & Carlilse. Nothing serious, I think it was when Carlisle was being played forward and he wasn't too happy about it, & was causing friction between the two. It was before, Carlisle had his hissy fit about the Dopers as he went off the field in a match. So if this happened, it mightn't be the personality marriage the Saints need between the two.

I'm sure I heard/read it somewhere, but naturally wasn't too interested in those days to slot it into my 'must be remembered trivia section of the brain.' I asked a friend, who is an Essendon member if he could recall tensions between them. He said he can't recall any previous issues that upset team-mates only Carlilse's public hissy fit, which didn't endear him to some team members.

So rightly or wrongly I have a niggling worry about the two of them jelling. Need to have all their focus on football not bridge building.

realdeal
Club Player

Freebird wrote:Hurley won't leave Essendon without them being compensated
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kild ... c34cf8fdcb
"The AFL has discouraged rival clubs from trying to use legal avenues to have Hurley made into a virtual free agent on the grounds the Dons violated his contract in their 2012 injection program;"

What a load of crap.
How dare the AFL behave like that and stick their noses into something that the clubs (and more importantly, the players) are entitled too after what Essendon have done.

Banned Essendon should without doubt Beatle to leave as FA's with Essendon getting no compensation at all. They're lucky enough to be getting the No 1 or 2 pick in the draft at the the end of the year.

:evil:

silverhalo
Club Player

loris wrote:
silverhalo wrote:I really don't want Hurley!
For some reason I have a lingering thought in my mind there may had been something written a few years ago about issues between Hurley & Carlilse. Nothing serious, I think it was when Carlisle was being played forward and he wasn't too happy about it, & was causing friction between the two. It was before, Carlisle had his hissy fit about the Dopers as he went off the field in a match. So if this happened, it mightn't be the personality marriage the Saints need between the two.

I'm sure I heard/read it somewhere, but naturally wasn't too interested in those days to slot it into my 'must be remembered trivia section of the brain.' I asked a friend, who is an Essendon member if he could recall tensions between them. He said he can't recall any previous issues that upset team-mates only Carlilse's public hissy fit, which didn't endear him to some team members.

So rightly or wrongly I have a niggling worry about the two of them jelling. Need to have all their focus on football not bridge building.
Yes Loris, I seem to recall that there was some sort of friction between the two of them, revolving primarily around which end of the ground they wanted to play. The other thing is, and I know I'm probably just being an old fuddy duddy here, but I have a huge issue with recruiting someone that was capable of beating up a poor innocent taxi driver a few years ago - if you're paying the sorts of bucks that he'll expect, both character and playing ability need to be right up there in my book. Don't think too much of him as a person and I also believe he is not worth anywhere near the money he'd be wanting (I'm hearing $700K+).

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think Will Hoskin Elliott. Former number 4 pick who's quick, skilful and a goal kicker. 50 games in his first three years, but just two this year. Killing them and racking up big numbers in the NEAFL, not that that's a major consideration. Has clearly fallen from favour. And we would be a realistic chance to get him at a reasonable cost. Recently bought a house in Yarraville. Only fly in the ointment could be the WB. He has historical links to the club from his time at the a Western Jets. Go get him, Ameet!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:
Carlisle goes back on list
I would imagine that Carlisle is still on our list, otherwise any club could just grab him.

From memory the AFL allowed us an extra rookie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stonecold
SS Life Member

Rocket wrote:Just mentioned Hurley on FOX Footy. Saints are right into him!!! Handy replacement for Fisher
Gezz Fox Footy take a while to get up to speed, bit like some on this Forum!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
"The AFL has discouraged rival clubs from trying to use legal avenues to have Hurley made into a virtual free agent on the grounds the Dons violated his contract in their 2012 injection program;"

What a load of crap.
How dare the AFL behave like that and stick their noses into something that the clubs (and more importantly, the players) are entitled too after what Essendon have done.

Banned Essendon should without doubt Beatle to leave as FA's with Essendon getting no compensation at all. They're lucky enough to be getting the No 1 or 2 pick in the draft at the the end of the year.

f*** off Essenscum and the AFL

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkfc1
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
realdeal wrote:

What a load of crap.

If Hurley is a serious proposition then I'd hope the club would be doing everything in its power to get Hurley for as cheap as possible. Id be encouraging him to walk out as he's entitled too and he owes them nothing. It leaves us in a stronger position if we keep our picks so more chance of future success.They have possibly put his long term health in danger. It serves them right for gross negligence and cheating and the AFL should shut up and keep thir noses out of it. This s*** happened under their watch. Although I wouldn't put it past the AFL to give us every Sunday twilight game for the rest of the decade to punish us for it, if it did happen.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

My preferred changes would be

Retire: Fisher
Delist: Shenton, Curren, Murdoch, Lee, Saunders (r)

Bring in 4 draft picks and another player via trade/FA (someone along the lines of Hoskin-Elliot, Ahern, Marchbank). Keep Delaney for one more year as insurance, possibly even on the rookie list. Then in 2017 go hard at an elite mid via FA.

By mid 2017 I'd love to see our best 22 looking something like this

B: Dempster, Goddard, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Riewoldt, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Lonie, McCartin, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Sinclair, Freeman, Montagna, Acres

Emg: Dunstan, Longer, Gilbert

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Surely we will trade a young ruckman, we have 4 to choose from, Hickey pushing his way through to being a top 10 ruckman in the league next year.

Nee!
silverhalo
Club Player

fugazi wrote:Surely we will trade a young ruckman, we have 4 to choose from, Hickey pushing his way through to being a top 10 ruckman in the league next year.
He's already there....I'd say he is already in the top 5

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
realdeal wrote:

What a load of crap.

If Hurley is a serious proposition then I'd hope the club would be doing everything in its power to get Hurley for as cheap as possible. Id be encouraging him to walk out as he's entitled too and he owes them nothing. It leaves us in a stronger position if we keep our picks so more chance of future success.They have possibly put his long term health in danger. It serves them right for gross negligence and cheating and the AFL should shut up and keep thir noses out of it. This s*** happened under their watch. Although I wouldn't put it past the AFL to give us every Sunday twilight game for the rest of the decade to punish us for it, if it did happen.
It feels like they already have scheduled us for every Sunday twighlight game for a decade.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:
fugazi wrote:Surely we will trade a young ruckman, we have 4 to choose from, Hickey pushing his way through to being a top 10 ruckman in the league next year.
He's already there....I'd say he is already in the top 5

Agree. Wouldn't be surprised if his name is mentioned in AA discussions, especially if he keeps his form up. Tom, Jacobs and Gawn the leading candidates I reckon. Gawn will get it if he keeps being dominant.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Delist Delaney. Forget about Hurley. Concentrate on Coughlan. Both he and O'Kearney should be blooded and given a taste of senior footy this year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Delist Delaney. Forget about Hurley. Concentrate on Coughlan. Both he and O'Kearney should be blooded and given a taste of senior footy this year.
I agree with you there. Both possess footy smarts imo.