Changes v Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Blues

Possible ins: McCartin, Fisher. Webster?

This is a very loseable game. The Blues have been playing good football against good sides but just not quite getting the points. They'd love to take our scalp to underline their claims as a developing team.

I reckon McCartin comes in. Needs to get back on the horse ASAP.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Blues

Are we going to experiment a bit more now the dream of the premiership glory is over this year? Or is it Fish back in and the safe, comfy old outfit of Demps, Fish, Gilbo, Monty, Geary in our backline again? I would be really disappointed if we go back to that. We looked slow with all of them in.

Lee in the best again. If he doesn't play then almost certainly he's gone. Eli needs a run to get another taste of what is required at the top level. McCartin should come in. Shents could get a game unless they know for sure he's gone and don't think he's even worth a chance at redemption. And give a Armo a week off to refresh - will let someone else step up their inside game. Rest the Gresh - he's a little guy who will be getting smashed out there - don't do what Richo did with Lonie and run him down

IN: McCartin, Fisher, Lee, Shents, Eli
OUT: Dempster, Wright, Minch, Gresh, Armo

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I hope they include our best players

citywest

Bluthy wrote:Are we going to experiment a bit more now the dream of the premiership glory is over this year? Or is it Fish back in and the safe, comfy old outfit of Demps, Fish, Gilbo, Monty, Geary in our backline again? I would be really disappointed if we go back to that. We looked slow with all of them in.

Lee in the best again. If he doesn't play then almost certainly he's gone. Eli needs a run to get another taste of what is required at the top level. McCartin should come in. Shents could get a game unless they know for sure he's gone and don't think he's even worth a chance at redemption. And give a Armo a week off to refresh - will let someone else step up their inside game. Rest the Gresh - he's a little guy who will be getting smashed out there - don't do what Richo did with Lonie and run him down

No way does Gresh get dropped and no way does Fish come in. Fish should come in for our last home game of the year to say goodbye. If it were up to me Reiwoldt would also be in that game to also say goodbye but I know that aint gonna happen.

citywest

What our brains trust don't realize is that the longer you hold onto the greats the more it stymies our development. Reiwoldt, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Montagna should all finish this year. This frees up huge cap space so we could then trade for one or 2 replacements and reward our youngsters with a pay rise. It would also keep us out of the 8 for another 12 months in order to get a couple of more top 10 picks (this year and next), before we really challenge.

citywest

Look at Geelong, this is exactly what they have done. I'll be the first to admit I hate those bunch of inbreds but credit to them. They are brave when it come to list management and we are not.

citywest

2013 is 1999, 2014 is 2000, 2015 is 2001, 2016 is 2002, 2017 is 2003, 2018 is 2004. Simple as that.

citywest

and hopefully 2019 is 1966.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:What our brains trust don't realize is that the longer you hold onto the greats the more it stymies our development. Reiwoldt, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Montagna should all finish this year. This frees up huge cap space so we could then trade for one or 2 replacements and reward our youngsters with a pay rise. It would also keep us out of the 8 for another 12 months in order to get a couple of more top 10 picks (this year and next), before we really challenge.
No it doesn't stymie anything, Geelong and Hawthorn have moved a couple (not 5) on each year

Riewoldt a few weeks ago was in conversations around the AA squad, but you want him gone. He will know the right time to go and it is not 2017

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
citywest

terry smith rules wrote:
citywest wrote:What our brains trust don't realize is that the longer you hold onto the greats the more it stymies our development. Reiwoldt, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster and Montagna should all finish this year. This frees up huge cap space so we could then trade for one or 2 replacements and reward our youngsters with a pay rise. It would also keep us out of the 8 for another 12 months in order to get a couple of more top 10 picks (this year and next), before we really challenge.
No it doesn't stymie anything, Geelong and Hawthorn have moved a couple (not 5) on each year

Riewoldt a few weeks ago was in conversations around the AA squad, but you want him gone. He will know the right time to go and it is not 2017
Who are you kidding 'terry smith rules'? The players themselves never know when the right time is. As all of them say, "You are a long time retired". :roll:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:2013 is 1999, 2014 is 2000, 2015 is 2001, 2016 is 2002, 2017 is 2003, 2018 is 2004. Simple as that.
Give it a rest… this history repeating spam is getting boring.

We are nothing like the list was in 2002.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Lee & Templeton come in for Wright & Armitage.

Reward some VFL form, highly unlikely though as Richo seems pretty stubborn on Lee especially.

felix
Club Player

citywest wrote:2013 is 1999, 2014 is 2000, 2015 is 2001, 2016 is 2002, 2017 is 2003, 2018 is 2004. Simple as that.
But we won nothing in those years ...nothing ..so what's your point ?

citywest

My point is that we are on the right trajectory. In fact we are at least 1 year ahead of schedule so the time is right to "retire" the 5 oldies. Even if we don't make the top 8 next year we are still tracking to be top 4 by 2019 at the latest. If we hold onto all of the 5 oldies it is to the detriment of the young'uns.

supersaints
Club Player

citywest wrote:My point is that we are on the right trajectory. In fact we are at least 1 year ahead of schedule so the time is right to "retire" the 5 oldies. Even if we don't make the top 8 next year we are still tracking to be top 4 by 2019 at the latest. If we hold onto all of the 5 oldies it is to the detriment of the young'uns.
You appear to know absolutely nothing about list management, look at what happened to Melbourne , can't do it in one .. In fact you have inspired me to start a new post on how and why our list management and team selections are possbly the front runner and best model in the AFL...

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Are we going to experiment a bit more now the dream of the premiership glory is over this year? Or is it Fish back in and the safe, comfy old outfit of Demps, Fish, Gilbo, Monty, Geary in our backline again? I would be really disappointed if we go back to that. We looked slow with all of them in.

There was never a premiership dream for this year. The dream was scraping into the eight.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
citywest

supersaints wrote:
citywest wrote:My point is that we are on the right trajectory. In fact we are at least 1 year ahead of schedule so the time is right to "retire" the 5 oldies. Even if we don't make the top 8 next year we are still tracking to be top 4 by 2019 at the latest. If we hold onto all of the 5 oldies it is to the detriment of the young'uns.
You appear to know absolutely nothing about list management, look at what happened to Melbourne , can't do it in one .. In fact you have inspired me to start a new post on how and why our list management and team selections are possbly the front runner and best model in the AFL...
The Melbourne scenario is rubbish and has no similarity to the Saints.....
Like I have said in a previous post, if we don't cut our list hard we have no hope of ever catching GWS. They are 2 years ahead of us yet they are still stockpiling top talent from the draft. They have 3 (or is it 4?) picks in the top 20 this year. We have one!!!!!!!! Cut the 5 oldies so we can delay getting into the top 8 for at least another year and drink deeper from the draft.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Whatever it takes to win another premiership, and strong decisions need to be made with playing lists in order to reach that goal. Players all need to be continually improving to build a finals team.

Wombat15
Club Player

i think now that finishing in the top 8 is now too tough of an ask i wouldn't mind seeing the selection committee over the next 4 weeks trial; Eli, Shenton, White, Rice all the kids basically in a more beneficial roles. not just for development but also for trade value as well. we are set to be quite active this off-season so why not both look for development and value.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I hope they include our best players
Agree, anything else makes a mockery of the whole selection process. Give games to players who have earned them and pick our best team to win every week.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Unless they reward Eli - NO CHANGE for me.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I hope they include our best players
Agree, anything else makes a mockery of the whole selection process. Give games to players who have earned them and pick our best team to win every week.
Well, yes, and no. I'd argue now that we've now won 9 games and could possibly win our tenth on Sunday, that the time has come to give some of the players a taste of the big league (White, Rice) or a chance to show what they can do before the end of the year (Templeton/Lee/Shenton). Who would have thought without our five best defenders for most of the year (Fisher, Goddard, Carlisle, Dempster, Webster) that we would win 9 or 10 games?

Playing our best team to win every week arguably cost us Tom Lynch and Luke Ball.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Okay, but who are you going to drop to give these guys a run and what sort of a message does it send them, especially if their form's been good in the most part?

If these guys are good enough and consistent enough, they will ultimately get their chance and grab a spot. But I'm not for manufacturing a chance for them. It cuts at the very essence of what selection is supposed to be.

Saying that, Trmpleton probably deserves a run for consistently good VFL form. Not sure at whose expense though
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 02 Aug 2016 9:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Out
Dunstan!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Out : Montagna

In: Templeton