Midfielders V Defenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

Midfielders V Defenders

With much discussion about our needs going forward what does everyone think we need asap compared to needs over time? For mine, we desperately need another KPP defender for next year. Carlisle is an obvious lock but with Goddard out for most of the year a ready made defender would be most welcome.
Our first pick will go on a trade for or pick for a midfielder so wondering if there's any mature players, standing out in the state leagues, that would suit our needs that would be worth a punt as a late pick? (eg Marcus Adams type) I think our midfleld will be ok next year but still needs class added to it over the next few years. Thoughts?

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Midfielders V Defenders

Where did WCE get Barrass from?

194cm and exactly what we need - particularly as Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert come toward the end of their distinguished careers.

We need this type of player to compliment Carlisle and the emergence of Goddard (in whom we have a very significant investment yet to be delivered on).

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Where did WCE get Barrass from?

194cm and exactly what we need - particularly as Fisher, Dempster and Gilbert come toward the end of their distinguished careers.

We need this type of player to compliment Carlisle and the emergence of Goddard (in whom we have a very significant investment yet to be delivered on).
From the draft No 43 in 2013 draft. Saints seem to prefer to trade ofr key defenders ?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I would like a large Key Position Defender, as Jake being out for a year could have a question mark over him.
Goddard doing rehab, and when he returns, we have no idea if he will be effective down back. Yet.
Fish, Dempster going out, Robbo is not quite a big defender, more like a running rebounder.
I hope we get somebody big and strong down back.
Delaney and Lee don't seem to enjoy any love from the coaching brains trust (not being sarcastic here)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
felix
Club Player

Didn't think you were being sarcastic.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:I would like a large Key Position Defender, as Jake being out for a year could have a question mark over him.
Goddard doing rehab, and when he returns, we have no idea if he will be effective down back. Yet.
Fish, Dempster going out, Robbo is not quite a big defender, more like a running rebounder.
I hope we get somebody big and strong down back.
Delaney and Lee don't seem to enjoy any love from the coaching brains trust (not being sarcastic here)
I dont think there should be any question marks over Jake.
I am expecting him to be an elite defender for the next seven seasons.
That should be the standard expectation on him.

supersaints
Club Player

I think AR said at his presser that we would be looking for a strong mid to help Armo and Dunstan out, also said we would be looking for a key defender ... Unless I dreamt it?
So your question is quite good and the answer is likely both...

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

supersaints wrote:I think AR said at his presser that we would be looking for a strong mid to help Armo and Dunstan out, also said we would be looking for a key defender ... Unless I dreamt it?
So your question is quite good and the answer is likely both...
"To complement guys like Ross, Armitage, Steven, Luke Dunstan, we need to get a bit more in and around that area"

re: JO'M
"We'll look at any player that we think can make us a better team, and if they fit into the age demographic and positionally complement our group then we'll look at it... he's a very good player... so we'll look at all those players"

I didn't catch anything about a key defender.

Saintberra
Club Player

I'm wondering however, can we have so many running/rebounding defenders on the list? Or do they just become Wingman?

I.e. Savage, Roberton, Webster, McKenzie, White

Or is it more likely that White and Webster will play on the wing in a couple of years time, with McKenzie running through the centre?