Dwayne Russell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

linz
Club Player

Dwayne Russell

What's up with this bloke? I've tuned in numerous times to 3AW after 6pm and everytime there's a mention of the Saints he deflects and moves on to another subject. Tonight the subject involved O'Meara and possible best fits as a new destination club. Even though every other Victorian club was talked about, when Caro suggested the Saints seemed to be up and coming and possibly a good fit, Dwayne quickly diverted the subject and moved on to another subject. There must be some history there. Anyone know?

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
coopergrech
Club Player

Re: Dwayne Russell

He's a tosser couldn't expect anything less from an A grade flog.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:He's a tosser couldn't expect anything less from an A grade flog.
So he's not your favourite commentator then?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

Was a very average player at Port Adelaide in the SANFL.

Enough said.

supersaints
Club Player

Played for the Pussies for about five years from 1987. Hence is hatred of the Saints

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Just another member of the anti-Saints conspiracy.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Played his first game at Moorabbin. It must haunt him.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't have much respect for St Kilda. Plenty in the media, and many ex players also don't. We were a basket case for a long time. There's one obvious way to chance perception.

Dwayne was a very average footballer at best.

Saintsational Legend

You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he goes about his football. I've often thought that rather than use psych. tests, interviews and assessment centres to test job candidates, all I'd really need to do is throw them all out onto a football field, have them pick sides and let them go at it. Combat without bullets is what our game is. You'll see how much mental strength, endurance, physical courage, selflessness and ability to think quickly and effectively they have. All while operating under severe pressure and scrutiny the likes of which they would never be subjected to in the workplace. While I admire anyone who makes it to AFL standard, and you have to be very good to play just one game, there is a hierarchy amongst even the elite of our sport. Dwaynepipe sits at the bottom of that hierarchy. Blessed with talent and a strong physique, he was the classic, 'Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane', type. So much promise, so little delivered.

A good SANFL player, where he could ply his trade in the less physically demanding environment in the manner he did, before being tested amongst the big boys, where he simply wasn't courageous enough. Not intense enough, not physical enough, not willing enough to impose himself on the contest. A shame really. As a long standing Geelong supporter once told me, 'he looked so good on the track and in the reserves, but always looked like a bunny in the headlights at senior level.' He was given 50 games before the club ran out of patience with him, waiting for the fruition of his potential that was never going to arrive.

The same could be said of him as a commentator. He looks and sounds good, but what comes out of his mouth is lacking in insight or proper analysis, is generally shallow and betrays his biases far too obviously. His contempt for our football club has always been clear. This bias that he allows to affect his professional performance is a sure sign that he lacks professional integrity and is short of what is required if he wants to be considered amongst the best. A bit like his football career, really.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
carn_sainter
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he goes about his football. I've often thought that rather than use psych. tests, interviews and assessment centres to test job candidates, all I'd really need to do is throw them all out onto a football field, have them pick sides and let them go at it. Combat without bullets is what our game is. You'll see how much mental strength, endurance, physical courage, selflessness and ability to think quickly and effectively they have. All while operating under severe pressure and scrutiny the likes of which they would never be subjected to in the workplace. While I admire anyone who makes it to AFL standard, and you have to be very good to play just one game, there is a hierarchy amongst even the elite of our sport. Dwaynepipe sits at the bottom of that hierarchy. Blessed with talent and a strong physique, he was the classic, 'Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane', type. So much promise, so little delivered.

A good SANFL player, where he could ply his trade in the less physically demanding environment in the manner he did, before being tested amongst the big boys, where he simply wasn't courageous enough. Not intense enough, not physical enough, not willing enough to impose himself on the contest. A shame really. As a long standing Geelong supporter once told me, 'he looked so good on the track and in the reserves, but always looked like a bunny in the headlights at senior level.' He was given 50 games before the club ran out of patience with him, waiting for the fruition of his potential that was never going to arrive.

The same could be said of him as a commentator. He looks and sounds good, but what comes out of his mouth is lacking in insight or proper analysis, is generally shallow and betrays his biases far too obviously. His contempt for our football club has always been clear. This bias that he allows to affect his professional performance is a sure sign that he lacks professional integrity and is short of what is required if he wants to be considered amongst the best. A bit like his football career, really.
Great post!

From a distance he strikes me as a sycophant among sycophants...doesn't exactly ooze integrity

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he goes about his football. I've often thought that rather than use psych. tests, interviews and assessment centres to test job candidates, all I'd really need to do is throw them all out onto a football field, have them pick sides and let them go at it. Combat without bullets is what our game is. You'll see how much mental strength, endurance, physical courage, selflessness and ability to think quickly and effectively they have. All while operating under severe pressure and scrutiny the likes of which they would never be subjected to in the workplace. While I admire anyone who makes it to AFL standard, and you have to be very good to play just one game, there is a hierarchy amongst even the elite of our sport. Dwaynepipe sits at the bottom of that hierarchy. Blessed with talent and a strong physique, he was the classic, 'Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane', type. So much promise, so little delivered.
Wow just wow, so your basis on judging someone is how they play footy... superficial ... I would have thought so

I think there are many many people who will be judged as amazing people who would not have got a kick in any contest.

Life is way more complex than a game of footy. Character can be displayed in any number of ways.

Secondly, how on earth do you know where Dwayne Russell sits in the hierarchy of players, that is just your opinion, do you know that from talking to his peers

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

You seem to have a problem with my posts TSR. You really must read more carefully before going off. Maybe it's a bit beyond your level of comprehension. This isn't the first time you've either accidentally, or deliberately misconstrued the meaning and content of one of my posts. I did say you can judge a lot about someone, not their character in its entirety, from the way they play. Even someone who has little ability will display certain traits. Some try hard and are fearless, despite a lack of ability. Some are lazy and cowardly, despite being blessed with great natural gifts.

I base my judgements on what I observed of his football, from what I've been told by people in the industry and several Geelong supporters and one staff member who saw him play at close quarters. That person knew him personally as well. What do you know of him? If 'wow, just wow', is the best you've got, coupled with some facile and irrelevant personal attacks, then I suggest you block my posts. As I wrote, it's not the first time you've done this. Is the last sentence a question or a statement? In any event, it doesn't make sense. If it is a question, then use one of these.?. A question mark. At the end of a sentence, use a full stop. That would help me comprehend what is, ATM, incomprehensible.

Also a small tip before posting. You seem to post in a very agitated state sometimes. The pre frontal cortex is essential for complex thinking and reason. When the sympathetic nervous system is aroused, the PFC becomes inhibited to a certain degree, making such actions more difficult. It's why we make so many poor decisions and mistakes when we're nervous, fearful and angry. Hence, the basic errors in your post. I hope this helps. And Dwayne Russell is a narcissistic flog who clearly despises our club. I suspect he wouldn't want any saints fan to be in his cheer squad.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who the f*** is called Dwayne. Apart from this hating flog.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 15 Sep 2016 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.

the dome
Club Player

Dwayne Russell or Duane Barry ?

Could Dwayne be Duane aka Duane Barry?
If so Duane could still be struggling with the metal implants and minute drillings of his teeth that were forced upon him over the years.
Dana Scully found that one of those metal implants when observed under microscope had a ridiculously small barcode.
Poor Duane claimed to have had multiple abductions throughout his life.
This guy most probably deserves some space and consideration. :(

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dwayne Russell or Duane Barry ?

the dome wrote:Could Dwayne be Duane aka Duane Barry?
If so Duane could still be struggling with the metal implants and minute drillings of his teeth that were forced upon him over the years.
Dana Scully found that one of those metal implants when observed under microscope had a ridiculously small barcode.
Poor Duane claimed to have had multiple abductions throughout his life.
This guy most probably deserves some space and consideration. :(
I remember a Duane /Dwayne(?) Eddy and his twanging guitar.

The only thing this Dwayne is twanging is not a guitar.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

With his looks I am afraid Dwayne Russell is better suited to radio. How did he manage to get a career as a TV commentator with his meager AFL career?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

White Winmar wrote:You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he goes about his football. I've often thought that rather than use psych. tests, interviews and assessment centres to test job candidates, all I'd really need to do is throw them all out onto a football field,
<snip>
well Im confused
over in the other thread you said you developed and worked with AFL pysch tests for 14 years

from the above what would be your assessment of NDS
hardly a bruise on him in his whole career
that would be a subjective "opinion" -yes?

Seeya
To the top
SS Life Member

My memory is the 1984 SANFL Grand Final where he was described as the potential "match winner" for Port Adelaide at CHF.

The only problem was, for all his huffing and puffing he did not manage to actually touch the ball!!

Always a mystery as to why Geelong recruited him.

Built like Tarzan.

Played like Jane.

Confirmation that the louder the voice the less the brains.

felix
Club Player

What sort of psychologist would come up with such a harsh analysis . Tick a box ..pigeon hole . label . The guy has etched out a lucrative career , doesn't have to like St Kilda..he must have positives that your professional bias is blind too.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I think you're all over thinking it! The man's name is Dwanye... Enough said.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Draino is a fluid you put down toilets and sinks

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Hallalj#3
Club Player

The guy got his jobs from guys Dying.. Enough said really..

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:You can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he goes about his football. I've often thought that rather than use psych. tests, interviews and assessment centres to test job candidates, all I'd really need to do is throw them all out onto a football field,
<snip>
well Im confused
over in the other thread you said you developed and worked with AFL pysch tests for 14 years

from the above what would be your assessment of NDS
hardly a bruise on him in his whole career
that would be a subjective "opinion" -yes?
Are you suggesting NDS is a 'soft' player? I can assure you he isn't. Why are you confused? I said you can tell plenty about a person, not everything. I wasn't referring to AFL players being thrown onto a field and made to play. If you read my post again you'll see it refers to job candidates. I hope that sorts it out for you. All tests are used to discriminate. No one factor can give you a complete picture. That's why we do batteries of tests and draw information from multiple sources. To reduce the probability of making an error. I still maintain you can tell a lot about a man's character by the way he plays his footy.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:

What sort of psychologist would come up with such a harsh analysis . Tick a box ..pigeon hole . label . The guy has etched out a lucrative career , doesn't have to like St Kilda..he must have positives that your professional bias is blind too.
There are positives. He looks good and his voice sounds ok. That's about it. Is my analysis harsh or objective, based on evidence? It could also be completely wrong. That's a risk we all take in making assessments. However, a so-called harsh analysis, as you put it, is far more desirable than an assessment that is purely meant not to offend and that avoids certain realities. There are too many psychologists who lack the skills and integrity to be accurate and truthful with their clients. That makes them unethical. You don't have to agree with my assessment, but it's not just a potshot. It's based on years of watching the guy play, listening to him commentate on games and talking to someone who knew him personally. I never said he had to like anyone. I did say his bias is clearly on display when he commentates on the saints. He has even called Fremantle, the 'New St.Kilda' when he was being derogatory to the shockers, adding that like the saints they were doomed to never win anything because they were also a terrible club. I'd say he has professional bias, but I'd prefer to keep the word professional and Dwayne as seperate as possible.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Too much manufactured enthusiasm from Dwayne the commentator. "Oh baby! Don't tell me! That's one if the goals/marks/plays of the year!"

In fact, for forced enthusiasm he even outdoes Big Ed, who couldn't give a stuff if Collingwood's not involved.