Our side's rank according to AFL.com.au

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shrodes
SS Life Member

Our side's rank according to AFL.com.au

Defence - 9th
Midfield - 10th
Forwards - 9th

Feel like we have been underrated in the forward department. We would have one of the toughest forward lines in the league to cover with Paddy, Bruce, Mav, Membrey all fit and firing.

I would put us above Port and Geelong at least.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our side's rank according to AFL.com.au

Wouldn't put too much stock in that article - they have the bulldogs 3rd! Boyd, Stringer, Cloke, and Crameri their standouts.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Freebird
Club Player

Is Bruce a little overrated?

longtimesaint
Club Player

Freebird wrote:Is Bruce a little overrated?
If you watch the replay he does a lot of multiple leads and takes the best defender allowing Membery space and should also help Paddy.

One year will be our year
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I don't think so, relentless in his running, marking and gets around to relieve the ruck.

Should be a different story this year with Carlisle? I remember someone saying Bruce said he did more than expected due to Carlisle missing?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Those rankings will be long forgotten by the end of this year

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ChrisRyanSaints
Club Player

Its because our forwards of paddy billings lonie kstevens and sinclair had down years in 2016. But these players imo are guns and will smash 2017 wide open.

lewdogs
Club Player

Probably overrates the midfield and underrates the forward line a bit. Our midfield was pretty average last year, hoping that it makes some big improvements though through the likes of Acres, Steele, Stevens. Armo would be hoping for a better year too.

I think they put Port's forward line ahead of ours as well as Geelong, which is a bit perplexing.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

I don't think so, relentless in his running, marking and gets around to relieve the ruck.

Should be a different story this year with Carlisle? I remember someone saying Bruce said he did more than expected due to Carlisle missing?
True. Carlisle and Bruce will/could pinch hit in ruck which will allow more time for Bruce to stay forward depending on the teams we play.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I actually happen to agree with those positions. However our upside is better than most of the clubs above us.

What hurts is that GWS was ranked 1st for Mids, 1st for forwards, and 3rd for defence....what chance do we stand really?

They'd be 1st for depth also.

Nee!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think these are pretty fair. They are based principally on what a team shows out on the field over last season. We finished 9th so they are right to rank us thereabouts.

Fans look at their own team through ridiculous rose-coloured glasses., "Boy hard to pick a top 22 - shows our depth" - says every fan of every team every year after their team is "tearing it up in pre-season" and every single team did amazing trading getting exactly the players they needed to fill holes and that talented injured player finally looks right and their youngsters are sure to have break-out years.

So many of our players are unproven. Even Steven and Armo haven't shown that they can lead and drive a team in a tough, brutal season-long successful pursuit of finals where every match matters. Only Roo, Joey, Gilbo and Dempster have shown that defining quality of consistent, reliable AFL players over the course of a whole season (and then finals). You don't get rated a lot on potential in these things as that is very deceiving mistress who often misleads. Richo will be having sleepless nights about Paddy and Billings - if they come on they could win us a grannie. IF they keep struggling they could destroy our rebuild by wasting pick 1 & 3.

You can look at our depth with rose-coloured glasses but you can equally look at how unproven so many players are:

Fwd line - Bruce has shown a really solid couple of seasons to indicate he can be a genuine AFL level tall fwd but Membry had only one really good year needs to backup, Paddy is having injury/concussion concerns limiting him, Billings is doing alright but as a pick 3 you would like to see a little more, Weller is an enforcer and leader but I wouldn't say a-grade, the fact that Wright is in the fwd line says a lot, Lonie/Sincs struggling.

Midfield - Steven elite, Armo dropped off last year, Dunstan serviceable/tough, Ross and Newnes ball getters but are they capable of taking control, Acres some magic but unknown consistency, Gresham some fwd magic but unknown in the midfield, K Stevens didn't make it at two other clubs, Steele very much an unknown, Freeman huge injury concerns

Backline - Carlisele hugely exciting but still a bit of unknown, Dempster, Gilbo and Joey another year older and slower, Brown a bit of lug, Goddard unknown, White unknown, Mckenzie played a few showed a bit but still largely unknown, Rice unknown, Savage/Webster/Roberton serviceable but at crucial junction in career need more domination.

There is a lot of potential there for sure, but by god there is a mountain of unknown as well. The reality is some of them won't make to the level we hope. Its actually reasonably easy to get to the verge of finals if you do your rebuild half-right and have a decent coach. We are only half-way up the mountain. The really tough part of the climb happens now in much tougher conditions and will be the real test.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

IF Paddy can stay on the field and Membrey can replicate or better his form of 2016 then we will have a forward line that's going to be very dangerous.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

fugazi wrote:I actually happen to agree with those positions. However our upside is better than most of the clubs above us.

What hurts is that GWS was ranked 1st for Mids, 1st for forwards, and 3rd for defence....what chance do we stand really?

They'd be 1st for depth also.
I agree with this post 100%.

Our improvement across all lines will be significant but even with two 1st round draft picks this year we will never be able to match GWS for talent.

However, they cant win "every" flag over the next 5-7 years so we will need to strike when we can. Our only advantages over them are that we are a club with a soul, a support base, and the Grand Final will be played at the MCG. :?

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."