Too many show ponies and not enough workhorses

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kell
Club Player

Too many show ponies and not enough workhorses

I don't profess to have any insight into the way players spend their time training in the past or at present. However, from listening to comments over the years I get the impression getting players fit was met with resistance to running laps and spending time the gym. Conversely, I have a suspicion a lot of players now have a preference to spendtime in the gym building the “body beautiful” and not enough time developing skills ....and the confidence that would follow. This may be especially so with the great new facilities.

I heard a comment last week that Ken Hinkley advised Bryce Gibbs to lose the ponytail. Reading into that what you will.

There is a lot of talk this week about the general lack of player’s skill on display this year. By contrast consider the kicking skills of Hawthorn and Sydney over the last 10 years.

What if the coaches closed the gym this week and post a sign on the door that said “faciltiies limited to all except those players that have spent x number of hours working on their kicking skills. Bins and bins of balls on the track. Take the mirrors out of the gyms and onto the track !

PS I think GWS should do the same.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Too many show ponies and not enough workhorses

I think you're onto something and I want to add to the theme

The players should be banned from playing playstation and any other sort of electronic games and should focus their energy on improving their physical skills and working on their mental toughness. Playstation and computer games are not helping you. It's energy sapping and should be replaced with other forms of relaxation

And ffs, why not spend extra time with a footy in your hands playing touch footy or handball games or god forbid, practice kicking for goal

Any player who is serious about improving their skills on the footy oval instead of their highest score on their favourite computer game is most prabably going to help himself and the teams chances.

kell
Club Player

I think there are a multitude of factors causing problems for the Saints. Player( and coaching) confidence is one aspect. Undoubtedly, the focus needs to sharpen. Billings is so distracted by his inability to nail a goal he has lost all confidence and it is affecting the rest of his game. He has sublime skills but is hampered by anxiety. I suspect he has been told to show express emotion when he kicks a point. This is contrasted by his elation when he kicks a goal. Its not working. "JB its ok to let vent your frustration occasionally!" ( not to the extent of BJ though). I cringe when I hear some say "its only a game". In the context of life this is true but in the moment when the game is in the balance commitment and focus must be paramount and performance will define us.

St. Paul
Club Player

Too many Indians and not enough Chiefs, or people capable of being Chiefs. Our lack of leadership, both on and off field is palpable. What a cavernous hole Rooey and Joey left. What we've got now is a captain who wouldn't get a game in any of the top eight teams and a coach who has clearly lost the plot.

AR reminds me of the Chief of the Lenape Indians, who sold Manhattan Island to the Dutch for beads, mirrors and trinkets worth 60 Guilders ($24). When he went back to the tribe and told them what he'd done, well, let's just say he wasn't the Chief for very much longer. Legend has it as they scalped him and he was bleeding out, he was heard to say, "I was positive you'd be pleased with the deal. Positive, pleasing......."

PS. Manhattan's land value today is 1.4 trillion. Greatest real estate deal in history.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we’ve got too many workhorses and not enough class. Particularly near goal.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Why would Ken Hinkley give Gibbs any advice about his hair style?????

Gibbs plays for the Crows, Ken coaches Port!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kell
Club Player

Sorry ...no harm intended .."Don Pike"...In any event its only hearsay ...may not be true. or perhaps Ken Hinkley is giving hair styling tips to other clubs...novel ?

stonecold
SS Life Member

kell wrote:Sorry ...no harm intended .."Don Pike"...In any event its only hearsay ...may not be true. or perhaps Ken Hinkley is giving hair styling tips to other clubs...novel ?
All good, I knew what you meant, I was just trying to lighten the forum with some humour!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I think the fist sentence in this topic sums it up:

"I don't profess to have any insight into the way players spend their time training in the past or at present".

The rest is all hearsay.

Saint supporter since '62
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post kell.
You may have hit the nail on the head. Constant repetition produces muscle memory which allows instinctive reaction.
Unfortunately it cannot overcome performance anxiety, which is the major culprit in front of goal.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
kalsaint
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Excellent post kell.
You may have hit the nail on the head. Constant repetition produces muscle memory which allows instinctive reaction.
Unfortunately it cannot overcome performance anxiety, which is the major culprit in front of goal.
+1

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency