The Administration Must Act!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

The Administration Must Act!

I've always tended to support the coaches even in difficult times. Often, I think its too easy to blame the coach as a simplistic cop out...

I supported GT in the early days, when many thought he couldn't coach. I supported RL in his early days when he got canned by many supporters.

BUT both of these guys showed something, some quality that showed they could coach and get the team to perform. They were not perfect, they had limitations (in different ways), but both of them are way ahead of anything that Richo is showing.

The players are NOT that bad, there is talent in the team, but the system is terrible, the players have lost complete confidence in themselves and the style of play.

Richo seems like a nice bloke, our Admin seems like 'nice' people too. Where is the ruthless, toughness and manic desire to succeed?

I wonder after the Carlton game last yr, and the Murphy incident, when normally a club would rally around the players, we instead rolled over and apologised to everyone! GT or RL wouldn't have done that. Can you imagine the Hawks doing that? Did that set a precedent? We seemed to have gone downhill from there, and players were annoyed with the position we took.

This is the 5th year of the re-build, and were are heading to bottom 3 this yr. Yes we lost Roo and Monty, but truth is, they were well passed their prime, and yet no one was stepping up? Where is the leadership development for the young?

Our focus from the Admin level to the coaches seems to be on being a 'nice' club these days. We seemed to be so scared of our recent history (e.g. st.kilda school girl, Milne, etc.) that we think being ‘nice’ is more important that winning. Think about the 'no dickheads' policy? Really, how do you know a player is a d**khead? So what? I'm sure we didn't want Dunstin the first time his contract came up for re-new because of some of his off field antics...we could have got him cheap back then...

Richo seems to be more interested in being nice to the opposition and praising their efforts over dealing with us. I don't see any 'rat cunning' or smarts that good coaches have. I see a nice, if a bit bland type of personality in him and all they way up to the Admin...and now reflected in the players…

So will th Admin get tough and act?

congorozides
Club Player

Re: The Administration Must Act!

Good post.
One thing though - The Admin themselves have to go.
We need regime change from the top or expect years of this pitiful performance.

stonecold
SS Life Member

They have!!!!!

They gave Brother Paul another holiday!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kaos theory
Club Player

congorozides wrote:Good post.
One thing though - The Admin themselves have to go.
We need regime change from the top or expect years of this pitiful performance.
Yes...

The question is are there people in charge with this club that are driven to make st.kilda succeed, or are there people in charge at this club that can tolerate where we are at, as long as we have a 'nice' image???

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good post agree Admin down change needed

“Yeah….nah””
Ape_Man
Club Player

It is the fist time in a long time we haven't built to at least finals.

1990 Ken Sheldon took a promising team to finals in 1991 and 1992

1994 Stan Alves rebuilt a team and took them to the top of the ladder and a near miss

Timmy and Blighty don't count :)

GT took us to Prelims

RL to us to Grand Finals

Watter - see Timmy and Blighty

Alan Richardson has taken us to almost finals and back down again. Contrary to nearly 30 years where coaches given the same time period have always made finals.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Don't hold your breath. Because who is going to drive action. Finnis, Leathlean and Richo are in a mutual death embrace. None will unilaterally break ranks. Richo is of course on the way out because his record is terrible only question is how long can he tread water, however until the Board tap the other two and say fix the trajectory or you three are all out, nothing will change. HALO: Hired Alan Lucked Out

The Recruit
Club Player

I just think Richo is too conservative. He is conservative by nature and that comes out in his coaching. Not just on match day but during the week and in the off season as well.
Conservative coaches make conservative teams.

Ape_Man
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:I just think Richo is too conservative. He is conservative by nature and that comes out in his coaching. Not just on match day but during the week and in the off season as well.
Conservative coaches make conservative teams.
My favourite St Kilda line ups were never conventional.

Maybe we were under Ross, but that was never my favourite team. Of course I would have worshipped on my knees at his altar had we raised a cup.

But, for me, the Best St Kilda was the absurd St Kilda. When we used the talent we had to play our game.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The coach needs to be sacked. If the club thinks that we can continue playing this way, it will cost the club and the AFL a lot more than the payout to Richo. Attendance will drop. Memebrships will drop. Marketing $$ lost. Merchandise revenue for the club and the AFL lost

The board made an error reappointing him. They need to sack him and then resign for their incompetence.

The Saints defensive mechanism is easy. Carlisle has been supported in playing the way he does and Richo just thought that Melbourne would allow him to play loose and take his usual 10-12 intercepts. Every dumb decision and every time a player looks like he's in no mans land is due to Richo.

The game plan is easy to coach against. The other coaches are now licking their lips when they see they're playing Saints.

Ape_Man
Club Player

Richo has had longer in this job than most. Which isn't necessarily a good thing but over the past 30 years we have had coaches that didn't last this long that at least got some success. These are the coached we have had in that time.

My criteria was they had to coach for at least 3 years.

Ken Sheldon: 4 years, 2 finals years.

Stan Alves: 5 years, 2 finals years.

Thomas 5 and a caretaker role: 3 finals years

Ross Lying 5 years and 4 finals years.

Richo:Nearly 5 and no finals.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

This is so true. We've become the affable Saints. Mr. Nice Guy as a coach and happy to be rolled by the opposition. But that's okay, he's a good bloke!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kaos theory
Club Player

Scollop wrote:The coach needs to be sacked. If the club thinks that we can continue playing this way, it will cost the club and the AFL a lot more than the payout to Richo. Attendance will drop. Memebrships will drop. Marketing $$ lost. Merchandise revenue for the club and the AFL lost

The board made an error reappointing him. They need to sack him and then resign for their incompetence.

The Saints defensive mechanism is easy. Carlisle has been supported in playing the way he does and Richo just thought that Melbourne would allow him to play loose and take his usual 10-12 intercepts. Every dumb decision and every time a player looks like he's in no mans land is due to Richo.

The game plan is easy to coach against. The other coaches are now licking their lips when they see they're playing Saints.

100%.

An idiotic move to sign him up with a 2 yr extension last yr. Why couldn't we wait till half way through this year? Zero chance he was going to be poached. Now we are either stuck with him, or have to pay him out.