Trout gone end of Year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Trout gone end of Year

My mail is that Trout Elshaug is gone end of year. His contract wont be renewed.
Recruiting dept overhaul and possiblt coaching changes in football dept. Kingsley and Playfair to stay others are fair game for change.
In AFL medical circles Roberton condition potentially high risk to keep playing his career could be over. Would be a massive loss for us.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trout gone end of Year

Thanks for the good news (trout) and coaches :D and bad news (Robbo) :(

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wonder if Roo is interested in being an assistant?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Milne
Club Player

Very sad to hear about Robbo but based on what we've learnt about him it's probably going to be for the best if he can't play again :(

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

By end of year we mean before the Nov. draft don't we. I think his removal will probably guarantee a resurgence in form from Paddy and youngsters being in peak form towards the end of the season. Murphy's Law #15 - unintended consequences.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 8:48am Wonder if Roo is interested in being an assistant?
yea ... thats got smart move written all over it

as long as he is paired with another (older) assistant coach who has done the rounds
of the other clubs

theres a .... mentor for the future opportunity about it
(if they played their long term cards right)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 8:48am Wonder if Roo is interested in being an assistant?
Please no. I had enough of his back-seat driving the last few years - hate to think how he'd arc up given one of the reins. Now Robbo on the other hand might be interested - and interesting.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Take Hughes with him
Sexton too
Proper clean out of mates rates jobs needed
Become too complacent

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 9:45am
Please no. I had enough of his back-seat driving the last few years - hate to think how he'd arc up given one of the reins. Now Robbo on the other hand might be interested - and interesting.
or pinch Lenny

put him in the 'mentored for the future' position

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Terrible news about Roberton.
Very good player these days, good tank, skills and cool head....everything we are missing
Looks like he and Stevens will be early retirements.

We need a trade bonanza this year if we are to be relevant at all next year.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Assistant coach thing is fascinating.

Kingsley has been there a while, and moved into a new role this season. 'Transition Coach' or something, that oversees the transition from defence, to mid to attack. He appears to be almost the main man in the box on game days this year.

Playfair is also new. I heard an interview with a player in the pre-season and he said that he'd brought a 'team defence' with him, instead of the 'pressure at the man' defensive strategy we had previously.

And these two are the ones that they're keeping.

It's really interesting, obviously not being on the inner sanctum, to understand how we can go from competitive to pathetic over one pre-season - and the two coaches that are responsible for the biggest factors in that are the only ones that are safe!

Obviously, something in the inner sanctum is going on that we don't understand. And I don't mean that to be a smart arse either. I mean clearly, the club sees something in what these two are bringing to the table that the outside world doesn't see.

Could it be that these tactical changes that these guys have introduced are simply taking time to get right? Could it be like when Lyon took over and we looked like rabble for 18 months whilst we learnt his style - then it clicked and we were a force?

It's very curious.

Gershwin
Club Player

Just my feeling that Roo will be looking for higher paid and more influential jobs than assistant coach.

summertime and the living is easy ........
takeaway
Club Player

I think other factors such as the loss of Roo & Joey and injuries have also had something to do with our performance. As for coaching issues, interesting to discuss but of course we have no idea.

Not sure about Roo as a coach, he is very intense.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

"Could it be that these tactical changes that these guys have introduced are simply taking time to get right? Could it be like when Lyon took over and we looked like rabble for 18 months whilst we learnt his style - then it clicked and we were a force?"

yep
... i'd run with that

also tis why sackn everyone at once is not real smart
... some sort of continuity must help

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 11:46am "Could it be that these tactical changes that these guys have introduced are simply taking time to get right? Could it be like when Lyon took over and we looked like rabble for 18 months whilst we learnt his style - then it clicked and we were a force?"

yep
... i'd run with that

also tis why sackn everyone at once is not real smart
... some sort of continuity must help

For the record, I'm not necessarily say that that is the case. But it might be? Time will tell.

It is odd though, Kinglsey and Playfair appear to have had a huge influence this year, yet the club seems to really trust them and wants to move forward with them.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Good point look how we've thrived this year without his 'back seat driving.' :roll:
Yeah, Roo was terrible for this group. Maybe they need someone in their ear keeping them accountable rather than this false positivity all over the place.

I reckon with the right grounding, Roo would make an excellent coach. If that's what he wants to do. Seems pretty happy in the media though and it probably gives him the flexibility to travel to USA in the off season.

Vazelos
Club Player

Playfair has currency because he comes from a good strong club that is rated in the football industry in the Swans.
Kingsley is well regarded also and has been on lists for opposition teams senior positions when they have come up.
I predict St kilda will do what Richmond did with Hardwick and that is keep the senior coach and shuffle the deck of assistant coaches.
We cant afford to sack Richo who is on around 600k until end of 2020 and they believe in him.
If we nailed more picks from 2012-2015 the belief is he would be doing very well.
The recruiters have let him down thats the belief thay are taking.

takeaway
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 12:52pm Playfair has currency because he comes from a good strong club that is rated in the football industry in the Swans.
Kingsley is well regarded also and has been on lists for opposition teams senior positions when they have come up.
I predict St kilda will do what Richmond did with Hardwick and that is keep the senior coach and shuffle the deck of assistant coaches.
We cant afford to sack Richo who is on around 600k until end of 2020 and they believe in him.
If we nailed more picks from 2012-2015 the belief is he would be doing very well.
Trout may well go as he has been there for some time now. However, I hope they have a good replacement in mind, because in my view the recruiting has been quite good, well on a par or better than a lot of other teams. Can't think of too many players that are definite misses. I have trouble believing your last sentence.

Crossy66
Club Player

Moods wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 12:27pm
Good point look how we've thrived this year without his 'back seat driving.' :roll:
Yeah, Roo was terrible for this group. Maybe they need someone in their ear keeping them accountable rather than this false positivity all over the place.

I reckon with the right grounding, Roo would make an excellent coach. If that's what he wants to do. Seems pretty happy in the media though and it probably gives him the flexibility to travel to USA in the off season.
Lenny

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 1:39pm
Vazelos wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 12:52pm Playfair has currency because he comes from a good strong club that is rated in the football industry in the Swans.
Trout may well go as he has been there for some time now. However, I hope they have a good replacement in mind, because in my view the recruiting has been quite good, well on a par or better than a lot of other teams. Can't think of too many players that are definite misses. I have trouble believing your last sentence.
So you're happy with McCartin and Billings then? I mean, sure there's a lot of other picks mixed in with the 2012-2105 recruting, but they are the ones that needed to be nailed and I score Trout 4 out of 10 on these 2 picks. That is a fail

Someone should start a poll: How do you score Trout on his 2 highest draft picks in the last 5 years

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 1:54pm

So you're happy with McCartin and Billings then? I mean, sure there's a lot of other picks mixed in with the 2012-2105 recruting, but they are the ones that needed to be nailed and I score Trout 4 out of 10 on these 2 picks. That is a fail

Someone should start a poll: How do you score Trout on his 2 highest draft picks in the last 5 years

I think it's way too early on those two to be honest.

Don't get me wrong - I'd take the Bont. So if we mark him on that, then yes it's a fail. But I reckon he'll be a really good player.

As for McCartin, I'm not an enormous wrap on Petracca just yet. And, if he hadn't have had 7 concussions already I think he'd be a very decent player by now. I still think he will be.

So I'm not as bearish on those two picks as some others are.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 1:54pm
takeaway wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 1:39pm

Let you know in 5 years. Billings is already good, and will flourish as we improve (ie add the cream), ie he was not in the best last week, but he was instrumental in at least 4 goals. McCartin has only played 30, hasn't had a good run, and is doing quite well considering the delivery. He gets to the right spots. I would mark it lower if we had brought in Petracca, who has not done very much. Brayshaw, now he is getting a consistent go, is better.

You can't really score draft picks until well after 100 games, unless they just don't make it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Success is measured by footy clubs winning more games than they are losing. Billings has shown some signs and has helped us win some footy matches so perhaps Trout scores a 6 out of ten for Billings. You have to nail a top 5 draft pick and sure JB can play the game, but I reckon a 6/10 is fair. The fact that Billings has had a dreadful 2018 is probably more due to coaching rather than anything.

McCartin on the other hand has been disappointing to say the least. In regard to concussions, one could argue some of those have just as much due to his poor decision making and lack of speed, agility and fitness just as much as bad luck. The reason McCartin was playing VFL earlier last year had nothing to do with concussion. It was all to do with his poor fitness levels. That's purely his responsibility. I score Trout a 2/10 for his selection of McCartin.

That's a combined 4/10
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Umm - my mail - from a fairly good source is:

Roo - Big No - freely is on the money
takeaway wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 11:05am I think other factors such as the loss of Roo & Joey and injuries have also had something to do with our performance. As for coaching issues, interesting to discuss but of course we have no idea.

Not sure about Roo as a coach, he is very intense.
Intense - like - if you are in the dark - a torch is nice - but when it shines in your eyes - it is blinding!

Yeah - that could be a very good way of putting it

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 05 Jun 2018 2:26pm Success is measured by footy clubs winning more games than they are losing. Billings has shown some signs and has helped us win some footy matches so perhaps Trout scores a 6 out of ten for Billings. The fact that he has had a dreadful 2018 is probably more due to coaching rather than anything.

McCartin on the other hand has been disappointing to say the least. In regard to concussions, one could argue some of those have just as much due to his poor decision making and lack of speed, agility and fitness just as much as bad luck. The reason McCartin was playing VFL earlier last year had nothing to do with concussion. It was all to do with his poor fitness levels. That's purely his responsibility. I score Trout a 2/10 for his selection of McCartin.

That's a combined 4/10
OK. Progress score for you of 4/10. Hopefully that will rise for you to 7-8/10 after 5 more years. Watch the ground McCartin covers next game. His tank is not bad and building. Hopefully he can get a few more good passes as well. Although Roo was often frustrated with the passes over his head. Billings gets clear quite often too and is missed. Watch last week's match.