Selection

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Selection

I said I would wait and see how the game went before I comment on selection.
My take:
Won't single out players but will discuss some of the poor execution, and selecting players who have had more than enough chances and are not up to it.
Some of our selectors need to have a look at their decisions too, because playing the side we fielded tonight in good conditions was an absolute farce. If it was a rainy slog, fair enough, but we weren't tall enough in the back line and got exposed badly. Can't question the endeavour, except for a patch in the third quarter, but our skill execution was very poor this evening.
There are a number of players selected week after week and are not delivering, and this needs to change.
Bad luck we lost Brown, Carlisle, Battle and Bruce all in the same week, but this was the week if we were ever going to do it to play two ruckmen, and inject pace into the midfield.
Connellan had a good game for Sandy slotting two, Acres got 33 possessions (glad they were managing his minutes!), Hickey got 28 possessions again, and Marshall had a good outing kicking 3 goals too. Freeman could've come in today for any any number of players. What would we have lost? Absolutely nothing!
Look, we were always going to struggle, why not try White and Goddard in the backline to see how that goes?
Apart from some endeavour, and Logan getting another game, I feel that an opportunity was lost tonight.
I applaud their efforts, especially with all the injuries we have, however too many mistakes at selection meant that we were beaten before we began today.
Just my take.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 07 Jul 2018 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Selection

The selection committee should vote themselves off the island. Disgrace!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert and Wright. FFS.

Why?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 8:59pm Gilbert and Wright. FFS.

Why?
Don’t forget Longer and Weller

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 9:04pm

Why?
Dont remind me.

I was trying to forget.

:lol:

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Poor Sam, played one season too long. Poor Paddy, lost and confused with what is going on. Poor Mav tries his darndest but isn't up to the skill level. Selectors are cruel making them go to Adelaide on a freezing July evening. I wonder if they (the selectors, whoever they are) watched the game and will take performance into account for next week's team.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Richo is notoriously conservative when it comes to selection...

He would do a lot better to reward form rather than persevere with his proven favourites strategy

saintbob
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 9:06pm

Why?
Dont remind me.

I was trying to forget.

:D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 10:00pm Richo is notoriously conservative when it comes to selection...

He would do a lot better to reward form rather than persevere with his proven favourites strategy
Well said. Form has to be the criteria. On form you’d think Hickey and Acres come in.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Why?
Even if Gilbert and Wright were not picked YOU still would not be happy so why even FKN bother

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It's amateur hour down there. Where the .... is this takeover group? I have zero faith with who's in charge going to the draft and trade table in a few months time.

The fact they haven't addressed our horrible midfield, and talk they're going to ignore it again by going after the McGovern's ffs.

Game day selection is laughable considering we are 3.5 wins for the year. Rice, Phillips, Austin all thrown to the wolves the past few weeks for an Irish Hurler who is clearly nowhere near AFL standard. Longer getting a game is shameful .

Wright!? If acres doesn't come straight back in this coup needs to happen Thursday night, if they're ready or not

Bring back the Lockett era
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

A bit emotional there Jonesy

How do any of us seriously know what the management have in mind?

All hearsay at the moment .... either way

One loss against a top 4 interstate side away from home after a great win against another finals side and supporters lose it

Time to wake up and accept where we are at but also realise fortunes can change quickly given how young our squad is .... we are building

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

No we played 5 good quarters and everyone had forgiven Richo and Co. I don't give a stuff about the past fortnight, or last night's result. They need to go, they have shown in 5 years they haven't got a clue, so why should we put blind faith that they'll miraculously turn it around next year.

Bring back the Lockett era
realdeal
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 8:13am A bit emotional there Jonesy

One loss against a top 4 interstate side away from home after a great win against another finals side and supporters lose it

Time to wake up and accept where we are at but also realise fortunes can change quickly given how young our squad is .... we are building
To be fair, people were questioning some of these selections before the game started.. eg Joyce, longer, weller. Non selections of Rice, white, Marshall, hickey.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Obviously Richo’s form criteria is different to most people on here.

It appears he rewards negating roles quite often.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Why?
Fairwell games

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 10:18am

Why?
Fairwell games
More farewells than Johnny Farnham and Dame Nellie Melba..

realdeal
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 10:18am

Why?
Fairwell games
Possibly but why give a 200 game player a 'farewell' game in Adelaide when we still have a bunch of Melbourne games to come? And why does Wright get a farewell game? Every player to have played 20 games gets a farewell game now? Lol

I think that's giving Richo too much credit on that one..

It's so frustrating, just when you think Richo has figured things out when it comes to team selection he then reverts to normal (what doesnt work)..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 8:26am No we played 5 good quarters and everyone had forgiven Richo and Co. I don't give a stuff about the past fortnight, or last night's result. They need to go, they have shown in 5 years they haven't got a clue, so why should we put blind faith that they'll miraculously turn it around next year.
Nailed it.

It’s a joke. Richo has to go. Yesterday was proof. Debacle again.

Imagine losing the unloseable to Carlton??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 6:23am

Why?
Even if Gilbert and Wright were not picked YOU still would not be happy so why even FKN bother

Spot on there, we only win when Con is banned!!!!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I reckon the selectors are probably playing a few players here and there to see if they warrant a list spot next year. No names but its obvious who it is.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Blind Freddy could see we were too short on selection, but not our coaches it would seem.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/por ... 4zq5j.html

"The Saints lacked height up forward – they desperately needed to take marks there and put pressure on their opposition. Adding to this concern was that their transition moving from defence was not working, starving themselves of inside-50 entries."

Marshall should have been selected. IMHFO.

And it kills me to see Paddy forced to play in the ruck ffs.

saintkid
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 9:06pm

Why?
Dont remind me.

I was trying to forget.

Likewise and the reasoning behind my last post in the McCartin thread. The coaching panel have wasted months and months of valuable selection/player development time with many ridiculous team selections. We are building from scratch again for ffs and they play Gilbert, Weller etc.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 8:13am A bit emotional there Jonesy

Great effort and endeavor by the boys out there yesterday, and nobody will say any different. But we went in too small, up forward and down back, and no support for our ruckman, who got injured with nobody to give him a chop out. Marshall should have played yesterday, a ruckman who is used to playing on wet surfaces with possible windy conditions, who would have offered us another tall marking option, or a tall defender to drop back in the hole between their mids and Dixon, Westhoff and Gray. The strategy to go in short based on the weather forecast and our injuries no doubt, but the rain prediction for our game changed a day before the match and more talls should have been brought in. We also went in too slow and should have played a midfielder with some pace, or at least somebody who has good execution by hand and foot. When we took the game on yesterday we looked really good in patches, but we were let down by errant handpasses or kicks which fell short.
And as for Port being a top four team, that is unproven and largely based on a preliminary final narrow loss to Hawthorn in 2014, and results from fully half of their games being played against interstate strugglers like us and the Lions every year in front of parochial home town crowds, with all of the home town umpiring decisions which go along with it. They have some talent yes, but yesterday their job was made easier for them through our injuries and poor team selection.
No, some definitely poor and baffling selection decisions there.
But I will say this, based on the performance yesterday, we are not as bad as our ladder position suggests, and the decision to recruit Gresham and to keep Armo are both correct ones. The decisions to trade a pick away to get Carlisle (future captain) and Gresham have been proven to be correct and to trade with the Hawks to bring in Clark (and Coffield) was very good too. Logan tired at the end, but I think he really shows potential. Just my take.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 08 Jul 2018 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
David-Lee
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 8:14pm I said I would wait and see how the game went before I comment on selection.
My take:
Won't single out players but will discuss some of the poor execution, and selecting players who have had more than enough chances and are not up to it.
Some of our selectors need to have a look at their decisions too, because playing the side we fielded tonight in good conditions was an absolute farce. If it was a rainy slog, fair enough, but we weren't tall enough in the back line and got exposed badly. Can't question the endeavour, except for a patch in the third quarter, but our skill execution was very poor this evening.
There are a number of players selected week after week and are not delivering, and this needs to change.
Bad luck we lost Brown, Carlisle, Battle and Bruce all in the same week, but this was the week if we were ever going to do it to play two ruckmen, and inject pace into the midfield.
Connellan had a good game for Sandy slotting two, Acres got 33 possessions (glad they were managing his minutes!), Hickey got 28 possessions again, and Marshall had a good outing kicking 3 goals too. Freeman could've come in today for any any number of players. What would we have lost? Absolutely nothing!
Look, we were always going to struggle, why not try White and Goddard in the backline to see how that goes?
Apart from some endeavour, and Logan getting another game, I feel that an opportunity was lost tonight.
I applaud their efforts, especially with all the injuries we have, however too many mistakes at selection meant that we were beaten before we began today.
Just my take.

And next week won't be any better because we have to beat Carlton or we are rubbish....so pick the same old same old.