J. Roughead free agent

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

J. Roughead free agent

Heard Saints are taking a look. Be crazy not to.

Ex-premiership Dog that is currently out of flavour at the kennel. Only 27 and fits something we might need. A couple of clubs are circling atm as he hasn't resigned. He started as ruck in the '16 flag so he couldn't be too bad.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: J. Roughead free agent

I think Preuss from North would be a better choice.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 11:49pm Heard Saints are taking a look.

Be crazy not to.

Please explain?

I do not see why he would be an upgrade on what we already have.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we want him to improve our forward line- no thanks ( Bruce, Battle, Membrey is a good combo going forward imo)

If we want him for his Hawthorn ip- no thanks ( Get Sam Mitchell or Brett Ratten )

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

No need for a tall GOP who fills in instead of Marshall/Austin. Not going to be best 22 in our next finals side

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 12 Jul 2018 11:49pm Heard Saints are taking a look. Be crazy not to.

Ex-premiership Dog that is currently out of flavour at the kennel. Only 27 and fits something we might need. A couple of clubs are circling atm as he hasn't resigned. He started as ruck in the '16 flag so he couldn't be too bad.
Can I ask where you heard the club are "taking a look"?

I haven't seen any media reporting our interest and I'm curious as to why the club would be interested in a high risk, high value proposition.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 2:59am If we want him to improve our forward line- no thanks ( Bruce, Battle, Membrey is a good combo going forward imo)

If we want him for his Hawthorn ip- no thanks ( Get Sam Mitchell or Brett Ratten )
Ummm ... the OP is referring to the Dogs' Roughead; not the Dawks' one.

Go you red, black & white warriors
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:14am
Scollop wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 2:59am If we want him to improve our forward line- no thanks ( Bruce, Battle, Membrey is a good combo going forward imo)

A bit of click bait.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Yes, that is correct thank you.

The "Dogs" Roughead can play ruck and key back.
Is he a better ruckman than Billy and Hickey? Probably yes. He is quite versatile and can take a good grab. I think our list is in need of some decent over 25 players. We are too young. If we delist Pearce, we need another ruck anyway. He is worth a look and I've been told we are looking. He started as ruck in the GF side for example. He's a very good player.

Someone mentioned Preust from Nth Melb too. We should throw some big $ at him as he can bloody ruck and is a massive unit. Goldstein has been ahead of him this year which is understandable and why he hasn't been seen alot.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:49am

Is he a better ruckman than Billy and Hickey? Probably yes. He is quite versatile and can take a good grab. I think our list is in need of some decent over 25 players. We are too young. If we delist Pearce, we need another ruck anyway. He is worth a look and I've been told we are looking. He started as ruck in the GF side for example. He's a very good player.

Someone mentioned Preust from Nth Melb too. We should throw some big $ at him as he can bloody ruck and is a massive unit. Goldstein has been ahead of him this year which is understandable and why he hasn't been seen alot.
Asked this earlier PS but asking again,

I haven't seen any media reporting our interest and I'm curious as to why the club would be interested in a high risk, high value proposition.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

Will go to Swans or GWS imo.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:57am
parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:49am

Asked this earlier PS but asking again,

Don't be surprised if it pops up in the media before season's end. Just heard this one on the grapevine Cairnsman.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:05pm

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

That's not a bad guess and would be mine, or any other club that can afford to take the risk.

Richo and others at the club are on the record as saying we need some high end talent so the bloodletting brigade would be well within thier rights to feel confused if the club recruited an average ruckman at a time when ruck stocks are not the priority.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:14pm

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

That's not a bad guess and would be mine, or any other club that can afford to take the risk.

Richo and others at the club are on the record as saying we need some high end talent so the bloodletting brigade would be well within thier rights to feel confused if the club recruited an average ruckman at a time when ruck stocks are not the priority.
But perhaps maybe our rucks are a main issue. Roughead is a good player and not average at all.

I do think Preust is someone we should target though. Not sure if the Saints are interested or he is gettable though.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:31pm

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

But perhaps maybe our rucks are a main issue. Roughead is a good player and not average at all.

I do think Preust is someone we should target though. Not sure if the Saints are interested or he is gettable though.
Is Roughhead one of the Dogs premiership players that was an average player before and after the flag but, just like the team had a purple patch and may be a one hit wonder. More questions than answers and why he could be a speculative investment and why I agree clubs like the Swans or maybe GWS could take the risk.

Could our club afford to take the risk of bringing in a project player for a positon that is not necessarily our greatest need. I'm aware of the perpetual ruck debate on this site but that's more about 'slap and tickle' as most of the key contributors to that debate might even conscede that ruck recruits are lower down on the priorty to the higher need for high end talent...Roughead is not high end talent.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:45pm

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

Is Roughhead one of the Dogs premiership players that was an average player before and after the flag but, just like the team had a purple patch and may be a one hit wonder. More questions than answers and why he could be a speculative investment and why I suggest clubs like the Swans or maybe GWS could take the risk.

Could our club afford to take the risk of bringing in a project player for a positon that is not necessarily our greatest need. I'm aware of the perpetual ruck debate on this site but that's more about 'slap and tickle' as most of the key contributors to that debate might even conscede that ruck recruits are lower down on the priorty to the higher need for high end talent...Roughead is not high end talent.
Agree with your post mostly but we need age over 25 expierence on our list. Desperately. Yes, Roughead is not high end talent but still a good player that can play FB, CHB and Ruck.

Same as a Dalhouse and Polec, they are not high end but would add good expierence and are the kind of players we need.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 11:49am The "Dogs" Roughead can play ruck and key back.
Is he a better ruckman than Billy and Hickey? Probably yes. He is quite versatile and can take a good grab. I think our list is in need of some decent over 25 players.
Roughead's record against Hickey and Longer (when playing ruck)

Round 10, 2017

Roughead 14 disposals, 2 marks, 17 hitouts
Longer 18 disposals, 4 marks, 55 hitouts

Round 2, 2016
Roughead 10 disposals, 3 marks, 26 hitouts
Hickey 9 disposals, 1 mark, 22 hitouts

Round 18, 2016

Roughead 16 disposals, 7 marks, 15 hitouts
Hickey 18 disposals, 6 marks, 34 hitouts

Round 13, 2015

Roughead 10 disposals, 8 marks, 14 hitouts
Longer 11 disposals, 2 marks, 30 hitouts

What's the point? Hickey and Longer are both over 25 and are both at least as good as Roughead

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:55pm
Cairnsman wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 12:45pm

Jordan.
He plays ruck.

Is Roughhead one of the Dogs premiership players that was an average player before and after the flag but, just like the team had a purple patch and may be a one hit wonder. More questions than answers and why he could be a speculative investment and why I suggest clubs like the Swans or maybe GWS could take the risk.

Agree with your post mostly but we need age over 25 expierence on our list. Desperately. Yes, Roughead is not high end talent but still a good player that can play FB, CHB and Ruck.

Same as a Dalhouse and Polec, they are not high end but would add good expierence and are the kind of players we need.
Except for the rare freaks that debut and put in high end peformances for the remainder of thier career, I would say the high end talent we need is probably going to be around the 25yo mark anyway.

If it is true that we have $2 million spare in our cap then IMO we should be targeting 2 to 3 players in the $500k to $700k price bracket as that salary bracket generally equals high end talent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He is 27 and has played 130 games.

A bit more than a project player.

Probably ripe for the picking to head to NSW if he wants to go north.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We will jag a couple of players, who they are at this stage is anyone's guess.

I would be looking closer to home.

Sandringham for example.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Here we go again.

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 3:10pm Here we go again.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 1:51pm We will jag a couple of players, who they are at this stage is anyone's guess.

I would be looking closer to home.

Sandringham for example.
Good call Saynta. I think Seccull and Lamb from Sandy are worth a look. Plus the teenage kid that plays ruck and forward whose name I can't remember right now.

Sometimes these mature age recruits are good for a couple of years or look the potential goods then they go completely missing. E.g Saad, Lee, Milera. It can be a bit of risk.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 5:08pm
SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 3:10pm Here we go again.

When you have no leg to stand on, revert to name calling which is the typical MO of a bullshitter, but look who’s talking.

All these whispers are in your head.

Get some help.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.